Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:12:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Terminator Genisys Resistance Fighters / Talon Company Mercs  (Read 3351 times)

Offline Legiocustodes

• Scientist
  • Old school gamer since 1990!
    • Oldhammer 40k
Finally I have managed to get around to painting some of the Terminator models my missus bought me a year ago! I have been working on these guys to use both in games of Terminator Genysis and Fallout. They obviously look like the resistance fighters from the movie that they are based on but I also think that they share a striking resemblance to the Talon Company Mercs from Fallout 3.

I gave them the grey digi-cam and black armour favoured by their on-screen counterparts, though this was quite time-consuming and fiddly I think the outcome was worth it.

The majority of these guys came straight from the Terminator Genisys boxed game, however the K-9 dog operator is actually a resin addition from Warlord's website.

Overall I am happy with how these guys turned out and I am looking forward to getting them on the table top soon.

There's a bit more info on my blog at:

http://classicastartes.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/terminator-resistance-fighters-fallout.html
Check out my blog for all things 30k, 40k, Oldhammer and tutorials:
http://classicastartes.blogspot.co.uk

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
Re: Terminator Genisys Resistance Fighters / Talon Company Mercs
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 12:02:25 AM »
Oh yeah, I like those!

Really well done, and they would look the part for any modern or near future mercenary.

Offline Legiocustodes

• Scientist
    • Oldhammer 40k
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 06:41:57 AM »
Cheers mate.

Yeah, now I've seen them painted up I've started to realise they have a whole level of versatility that I didn't really appreciate when they were on the sprues!

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 01:49:27 AM »
sorry for the threadomancy but Warlord's put the base game up on sale for a pretty big discount ($48 USD).

http://us-store.warlordgames.com/collections/deals/products/terminator-genisys-the-war-against-the-machines-1

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 04:34:29 AM »
Legio, you've really done those justice - most paintjobs I have seen have looked pretty awful to be honest, which haven't helped the shallow sculpts. I feel some of the more poorly sculpted heads could benefit with a head-swap from another kit, which is what I think I will do.

That, combined with the full game being around $55 AUD at the moment (thanks rwwin!), I grabbed it. And maybe Arnie on motorbike. And old-man Arnie...  EDIT: Wayland Games are liquidating this stuff by the looks of things - main game is 30gbp with 30% discount down to 21gbp.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 05:02:56 AM by The_Baron »

My Blog: http://returntologansworld.blogspot.com.au/
Empire of the Dead, Strange Aeons, Old-School Fantasy and Rogue Trader, 15mm ATZ

Offline Legiocustodes

• Scientist
    • Oldhammer 40k
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 11:20:01 PM »
I hoped this game might have a bit more longevity to it; but I fear that support may already be withdrawing for it! Which is a real shame as I think it's a good game and the models are pretty sound! (Plus it's my favourite franchise of all time!!!)

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 12:02:16 AM »
I hoped this game might have a bit more longevity to it; but I fear that support may already be withdrawing for it! Which is a real shame as I think it's a good game and the models are pretty sound! (Plus it's my favourite franchise of all time!!!)

I agree, it does look like support is dropping unfortunately. But I figure with a couple of spare plastic boxes of endos, you can keep it alive with conversions and so on. I feel the game can be played as a self-contained game without further support. The resistance can be substituted with the many modern ranges out there, possibly the new Wargames Factory soldiers?

My box actually arrived last night, and I am really impressed with the production values of the rulebook. The metal minis and endos are great, the resistance on first impressions not so much - but you have shown that they can look good. I'm going to kitbash them heavily with Wargames Factory survivors kit and airfix modern british to spruce them up a bit. Crawlers will be used for bits to make infiltrators.

I love the franchise too, and actually really enjoyed Genisys - I know critics canned it but it was good fun with some great action.

I'm quite interested in playing the game in 'current' timelines, with police & swat versus lone terminators.
If you paint anything else for it be sure to post it!
Cheers
The Baron

Offline Legiocustodes

• Scientist
    • Oldhammer 40k
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 08:30:56 AM »
Yeah I agree it holds up well as a stand alone product that doesn't require a lot of additional support. I actually wrote a review of the game that features in a recent edition of Wargames, Soldiers and Strategy Magazine.

The Endos are great figures and to be fair whilst I'm not in love with the resistance fighters they are serviceable; and as you say there are plenty of modern/near-modern alternatives that can easily substitute for them on the table.

What I like is that the core rulebook actually covers loads of additional options such as tanks and helicopters that you can easily source from elsewhere to bulk out your forces (also Pegasus do an impressive Hunter-Killer Terminator tank based on the future war scenes from T2 that fit in nicely!)

You know what... I really enjoyed Terminator Genisys; I'm not really sure why people slated it so much; I really don't understand where else the franchise could have gone. I think some fans would have just been happier if they re-released the original film and did nothing else! To be fair I also liked Terminator Salvation!

I like your contemporary SWAT idea.... I might steal it! My recommendation is the SWAT models from Wargames Foundry, I have bought loads of them for another project and they are very good. They are also of a similar scale to the models from the Terminator no set so they won't look out of place together!