Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:14:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for an appropriate miniature for conversion.  (Read 2305 times)

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
Looking for an appropriate miniature for conversion.
« on: May 20, 2016, 03:33:18 AM »
I'm looking for a head/model that has a knight's helm with stag antlers and is compatible scale-wise with the official Frostgrave miniatures.  There is a Warhammer Bretonnian helm in the style I'm looking for, but it seems much too big scale-wise.  I think Reaper has a knight like that, but the Reaper miniatures are larger than the Frostgrave miniatures.  I'm not sure if this is the right forum thread, but I'm specifically looking for input from people familiar with the official Frostgrave range.

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
Re: Looking for an appropriate miniature for conversion.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 04:43:17 AM »
Everyone says the Fireforge plastics are the same scale but I'm not familiar with their range so I'm unsure if they have appropriate.
Wargames Foundry might be a good idea? I've always found their stuff to be smaller than GW.
Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 05:33:56 AM »
I think the Teutonic knights will be your best bet. Historically I don't think any of them used actual stag's antlers. The Fireforge teutonics do not have a model with antlers that I've ever seen.
"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 05:22:44 PM »
I actually do have the Fireforge Teutonic Infantry kit, although their scale is a bit smaller it seems, since they aren't "heroic" scale (the heads could work though).  I also really want the stag antlers, which the Fireforge models don't have.  I realize that I could use a Fireforge helm, cut of the Teutonic horns, and glue on some stage antlers from a Bretonnian head, but even with pinning it would seem like an undesirable break point, not to mention the rage at trying to align the antlers evenly.  Ideally, there is a model of appropriate scale that has the helm with horns already, so that I could just do a head swap.

Offline Jerekin

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 05:36:03 PM »
Have you considered using polystyrol glue like Revell Contacta?

It melts the parts togetehr as if they are a single miniatures.

Offline ChaosChild

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 02:19:39 AM »
The Fireforge plastics are exactly the same scale as the Frostgrave plastics (same sculptor).

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 06:13:50 PM »
The Fireforge plastics are exactly the same scale as the Frostgrave plastics (same sculptor).

Not quite.  The Fireforge models seem slightly smaller than the Frostgrave models, even taking into account the fact that the Frostgrave models are wearing thicker clothing.  The weapon sizes are also quite different (the Frostgrave two-handed sword is obviously "heroic scale," for instance).

Offline DegenerateElite

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 07:28:18 AM »
I have an old GW plastic Brettonian Knight head that has a full deer head on it......