Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:26:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Heroines in Sensible Shoes - Unboxing and Thoughts  (Read 1584 times)

Offline Garanhir

• Scientist
Heroines in Sensible Shoes - Unboxing and Thoughts
« on: May 27, 2016, 03:32:24 PM »
I backed Oathsworn's latest Kickstarter earlier this year and the miniatures arrived a couple of days ago. Typically of Oathsworn, everything arrived on time and the project was managed well, with timely and informative updates. The Lovejoys are a safe pair of hands.

The miniatures came packed in a pair of plastic boxes, similar to business card boxes. Each Heroine was in a small plastic packet and the extra space packed with bubble wrap and a couple of packing chips, keeping them both safe from the outside and immobile to prevent damage from abrasion inside.

So what about the figures themselves?

The whole gang. Back row left to right: half-orc barbarian, human fighter, elf ranger, dragonborn sorceress.
Middle row left to right: human cleric, human bard, human rogue, human magic-user.
Front row left to right: dwarf fighter, halfling rogue, forest gnome ranger, pregnant lady NPC.

As well as the Heroines themselves, there's also a little resin model of a monster nest, complete with eggs, a skull and a couple of bits of discarded gear. I've already managed to misplace mine so I'll get a picture later for you as soon as I track it down!

They scale roughly at "true 28mm" I'd say. The half-orc barbarian is the tallest figure, measuring 29mm from the soles of her boots to her eyes.The dragonborn sorceress comes next at 28mm to eyes. The elf and humans range from 25-26mm to eye, though some are creeping warily along and so are slightly stooped in pose. The dwarf fighter is next at 22mm, and the halfling and gnome are16-17mm to eye.

The proportions are naturalistic and less chunky than, say, the Heroes of the Dwarfs. I like this development, as I love to mix my historical and fantasy figures and this will make it much easier for them to mix in. The detail is nice and clear, and the faces are well sculpted. They're well equipped with backpacks, ropes, bedrolls, pouches and such, but the detail is again nice and clear,  although they still seem uncluttered. I like to paint details like embroidery & such so I like to have room on a miniature, and these look like they'll give me no trouble.

Overall I'm very impressed. These are my favourite Oathsworn models so far, and the enthusiasm with which the project was backed says to me that there's not just an appetite for this kind of figure, but an outright hunger.
A life without festivity is a long road without an inn.
-Democritus

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: Heroines in Sensible Shoes - Unboxing and Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 04:50:07 PM »
Hear, hear.
I agree with Garannhir's description, except the embroidery bit as I'd be rubbish at that.
They're very nice, clean models, and should paint up brilliantly, and be fun to paint too.
The packaging is exemplary.  8) 8) 8)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 05:52:47 PM »
Mine, gift for the wife "just because" which is reason enough, was wonderfully packed also and deeply appreciated by my wife.  She loved the sculpting and I have added them to her small miniatures collection.
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Lordblackwing

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 06:36:00 PM »
Just got mine today and have to agree with the above comments. I will be using someof them for an all female Frostgrave warband,some for PC's in our current 5e campaign. Can't wait to see what they comeup with next. :)
A fellow follower of the Lead Mountain