Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:52:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Infantry Platoon with Support  (Read 5698 times)

Offline the_inquisition!

• Bookworm
Infantry Platoon with Support
« on: May 28, 2016, 07:05:24 PM »
..or more accurately my take on ACU ;D

These are the Mantic Mars Attacks US troops painted up relatively quickly with sponges and washes:

And a close up shop:

I very roughly used a guide that someone posted here that used a sponge to add irregular patterns of colour over a basecoat; unfortunately I have not been able to find it since!

I haven't painted the missile launcher yet because I am not sure (i) what it is, and (ii) what colour it is meant to be. I've googled it but couldn't nail it down. Does anyone have any idea?

Regardless these troops will hopefully soon be participating in a solo imagi-nations Force on Force campaign...if I ever get round to starting it!  
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 09:46:04 PM by the_inquisition! »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Infantry in ACU
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 07:11:54 PM »
Most likely it's an At-4 or M4 MAAW (carl goustav recoilless rifle)  .  Just paint it olive drab or do a quick net search of those items and you'll find plenty of pics.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 02:32:22 PM »
The rocket launcher is supposed to be an AT-4.   I actually helped on this one, they originally were gonna use some RPG looking AT weapon and I was pretty vocal about using a US weapon and pointed them towards the AT-4.  Others did too.   Also helped influence the decision to add SAW gunners.

;)

Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 02:36:56 PM »
Your uniforms look great by the way.    A suggestion I think would help out and not bee too difficult for you; go over the metal parts of the weapons with a dark grey to make them slightly lighter than the plastic stocks and barrel hand-guards.

It should make them 'pop' a bit more.

I would also paint the big box magazine (belt holder) on the SAWs a green or tan (I would use green).

They do come in black, and there are cammo pattern cloth versions as well, but adding in a contrast color will help differentiate them from your rifle equipped guys.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 02:41:21 PM by CptJake »

Offline the_inquisition!

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 10:38:08 PM »
Most likely it's an At-4 or M4 MAAW (carl goustav recoilless rifle)  .  Just paint it olive drab or do a quick net search of those items and you'll find plenty of pics.

The rocket launcher is supposed to be an AT-4.   I actually helped on this one, they originally were gonna use some RPG looking AT weapon and I was pretty vocal about using a US weapon and pointed them towards the AT-4.  Others did too.   Also helped influence the decision to add SAW gunners.

Good work on that! I remember seeing the 3d renders during the kickstarter with the vaguly wrong-looking turnip-shaped missile  lol

I'll whack some olive paint on it and dig through my transfers to see of I have anything suitable for the warning stickers.

Your uniforms look great by the way.    A suggestion I think would help out and not bee too difficult for you; go over the metal parts of the weapons with a dark grey to make them slightly lighter than the plastic stocks and barrel hand-guards

Thank you  :D

I'll crack out some grey paint for the receivers and green for the box magazines. I might drybrush some silver over the to to give the weapons a worn look  ;D

Offline the_inquisition!

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 05:36:11 PM »
Quick update:

1) I've lightened up the weapons and repainted the machine gun magazines....although you'd can't really see  lol

I've also cut off the integral bases and mounted them on 30mm mdf bases.

2) I've painted a squad of Empress infantry to add the the force. They are really nice minis with a lot more detail and more realistic looking poses.

3) Both squads and their transports fighting some zombies in my cabinet

Offline the_inquisition!

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 05:37:18 PM »
Oops attachment fail:

Offline the_inquisition!

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 09:07:59 PM »
The whole platoon is finished  ;D

Left to right:

- ATGM team
- Squads One to Three (some elements are still embarked on the transports for mobile firepower  ;) )
- Platoon Commander and radioman
- HMG team (m60...but still)

It's all pretty fluid and I can mix and match for FOF or all things zombie as necessary.

I converted the humvees converted from poundland pull back cars last year (idea stolen from a Somalia blog).

The minis are Empress, Mantic and, I think, Devildog (the the humvee and m60 gunners)

Otherwise I've had a Abrams undercoated so a year so it might a lick of paint soon.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 09:13:38 PM »

Definitely not the Carl Gustav. That's a two-man, 84mm weapon.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 12:22:14 PM »
Wow these look so good! This period (?) is so much fun!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 12:57:53 PM »
Yep I got it wrong it's the AT-4

Offline the_inquisition!

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 08:39:37 PM »
Wow these look so good! This period (?) is so much fun!

Thanks CarlLeyland  ;)

I really like painting modern miniatures, but I think I can only play imagi-nation/fictional games with them.

People have different takes on it, but for me it feels a like recent real conflicts are a bit too 'real'!

No problem with gamers who do though :)

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 01:00:56 PM »
I am so jealous/amazed at your Humvees! Everyone seems to find these in Poundland but for me a couple of years of looking and ....nothing. You have made a really good job of them.

As for gaming moderns...I don't mind at all, I served 10 years and have no problem with what people do, infact I think its a great learning tool.

Coming back to your Humvees, probably the best I have seen so far.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2016, 08:30:38 PM »
Thanks CarlLeyland  ;)

I really like painting modern miniatures, but I think I can only play imagi-nation/fictional games with them.

People have different takes on it, but for me it feels a like recent real conflicts are a bit too 'real'!

No problem with gamers who do though :)

Right? Mine are only going to be used in Fictional conflicts and modern sci-fi/pulp/horror games.

Offline the_inquisition!

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 08:38:03 PM »
I am so jealous/amazed at your Humvees! Everyone seems to find these in Poundland but for me a couple of years of looking and ....nothing. You have made a really good job of them.

Thanks  :-*  I bought them from poundland with zombie gaming in mind, then later decided to convert them up.

I've been on the lookout in poundland since too as I think a tow humvee would be nice. I'll post if I find any :o

Right? Mine are only going to be used in Fictional conflicts and modern sci-fi/pulp/horror games

I agree...I can't quite put my foot on it but modern real world games makes me think of the real world and not playing with my toy soldiers.

I've working on an imagi-nations setting and just got the osprey cthulhu wars book. It has a very inspiring illustration of a modern anti mythos raid....it has given me plenty of other rabit holes to go down!