Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:57:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689675
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Can you leave a combat?  (Read 1753 times)

Offline chucklehead

• Schoolboy
Can you leave a combat?
« on: May 30, 2016, 11:34:53 PM »
Hi folks

Is there any rules for a model 'breaking away' once it is considered 'In Combat'?

I understand that you can Leap and Teleport away, however I can't find any rules for getting out of a combat without magic.

Cheers

Offline Like_Clockwork

• Bookworm
  • "The only way to meet your equal, is to become it"
Re: Can you leave a combat?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 11:50:49 PM »
When either figure attacks the other, they both roll to fight. Regardless of the attacker, whoever "wins" that fight, has the option to either break away or push the other one off, which moves either figure up to 1 inch. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone else who reads this, but that is my understanding of it. If you have further questions on this game, reply to the Rules thread, Joe or somebody will likely respond with a detailed answer.

Thank you,
Like Clockwork
I do hope you enjoyed reading whatever it is I have typed, I likely put some thought into it, and appreciate when others look into my brain and go, "Huh, okay"

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 01:00:10 AM »
This is the way we have been reading it: Figures that are in base to base contact are considered to be in combat. Move actions cannot be made by a figure in combat (page 33 of the rules). Situations can arise where figures are in combat but not fighting. Model A uses both its actions to move into combat with model B. Fighting will not happen until Model B activates and uses its first activation to fight. If both models survive Model B could use its second action to move away from Model A. 

Offline Arcdroid

• Student
  • 01001000 01101001
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 08:50:22 AM »
This is the way we have been reading it: Figures that are in base to base contact are considered to be in combat. Move actions cannot be made by a figure in combat (page 33 of the rules). Situations can arise where figures are in combat but not fighting. Model A uses both its actions to move into combat with model B. Fighting will not happen until Model B activates and uses its first activation to fight. If both models survive Model B could use its second action to move away from Model A.  
But Model B could only move away if it won combat and pushed the enemy away. If both remain in combat he would still be unable to move away.
Or if the enemy Model won combat without killing him and pushed him back afterwards (unlikely but possible).

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 11:42:23 AM »
From my own experience, the leaving combat rules can be iffy in the odd situation.

No matter the number of models in a combat, you can't disengage any until the fight is over. This can lead to situations where one model is holding up multiple opponents.

Typically this should result in the side with the most models winning. However, if one side's model is buffed, they can wind up winning the round. This could be made worse when the opponent also has a dumb armour value...

Personally I'd prefer a rule where only the last model who attacked the opponent needs to roll to disengage. Other models can leave freely. This could result in issues, but it stops these speed bump issues (which only really occur through the player's action obviously).

Offline chucklehead

• Schoolboy
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 12:40:04 PM »
Just found that on p.36. Thanks guys

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 06:30:57 PM »
@wyrmalla - armour doesn't stop a model being defeated in combat, so they can still be pushed away (or pushed away from). Just means they don't take any damage.

Damage <> Defeat

If one model is holding up multiple opponents then that's not a problem, that's good play and/or good luck.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 06:33:27 PM by Darkson71 »
Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"