Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:18:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690810
  • Total Topics: 118352
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Castle Ravenloft/D&D Adventure System rules questions.  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
Castle Ravenloft/D&D Adventure System rules questions.
« on: May 31, 2016, 06:43:56 PM »
I have a couple of questions about the D&D Adventure Systems games.

I have purchased both Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon, which allows me to mix and match characters and ability cards.  However, each character has a preselected utility power and may choose one additional utility, one daily, and two at-will powers.*  The human cleric (Ashardalon) has a default utility card to heal himself and one ally for 2 hp each, while the dwarf cleric (Ravenloft) has a default utility card to heal one hero for 4 hp.  If I am playing the human cleric, can I still use the dwarf cleric's default utility card as my single chosen utility power (beyond the default), or is it exclusive to the dwarf cleric?

*I might be mixing up utility and daily powers here.

My next question is whether the cleric can heal himself.  A couple powers state that it can effect one "other hero," so it seems that those spells do not affect the cleric.  Other spells explicitly state that the spell affects the cleric or another hero, while some spells state that the spell affects one hero within the tile, or within one tile, etc.  I assume that the cleric could count as the one hero, but it threw me off that some of the spells explicitly state that it can be used for one's self, while other spells do not.

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
Re: Castle Ravenloft/D&D Adventure System rules questions.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 07:03:16 PM »
I have a couple of questions about the D&D Adventure Systems games.

I have purchased both Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon, which allows me to mix and match characters and ability cards.  However, each character has a preselected utility power and may choose one additional utility, one daily, and two at-will powers.*  The human cleric (Ashardalon) has a default utility card to heal himself and one ally for 2 hp each, while the dwarf cleric (Ravenloft) has a default utility card to heal one hero for 4 hp.  If I am playing the human cleric, can I still use the dwarf cleric's default utility card as my single chosen utility power (beyond the default), or is it exclusive to the dwarf cleric?

I would say that the abilities/utility power are character specific, so the human cleric cannot use the dwarf one and vice versa. This is just my opinion - maybe check Boardgamegeek for something more official.

My next question is whether the cleric can heal himself.  A couple powers state that it can effect one "other hero," so it seems that those spells do not affect the cleric.  Other spells explicitly state that the spell affects the cleric or another hero, while some spells state that the spell affects one hero within the tile, or within one tile, etc.  I assume that the cleric could count as the one hero, but it threw me off that some of the spells explicitly state that it can be used for one's self, while other spells do not.

If it says 'other hero' the cleric cannot target himself. If it says 'one hero within x tiles' he can target himself.
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
Re: Castle Ravenloft/D&D Adventure System rules questions.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 01:29:48 AM »
For different abilities, they can be shifted, just pay attention that you aren't going with ones that are attached for other reasons.

For example, the different Dragonborn can select different ones, same with class ones...just make sure they match the right side.