Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:48:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Massive Darkness Kickstarter is coming ... (delivering now ...!)  (Read 14901 times)

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
... exactly tomorrow: http://cmon.com/massive-darkness-june-7th/

As far as I've searched it, we don't have a thread over here on LAF, have we? Looks very interesting. I wonder if it will proceed to another million dollar hype ...  8)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 09:50:36 PM by Admiral Benbow »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Massive Darkness Kickstarter is coming ...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 07:12:38 PM »
... exactly tomorrow: http://cmon.com/massive-darkness-june-7th/

As far as I've searched it, we don't have a thread over here on LAF, have we? Looks very interesting. I wonder if it will proceed to another milliuon dollar hype ...  8)

Awesome, definitely one I'll get in on (and I shouldn't!)
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 07:20:31 PM »
It looks pretty cool, a friend of mine on another forum posted it.  Luckily for me, I don't like the anime-esque cartoon esthetic... that and I have no storage space for another board game  :D

That being said, it seems pretty much anything with the CMON label is bound to break a mil these days.  o_o
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 09:45:47 PM »
I bet it will easily go over a million. While the style of the miniatures is also not completely to my liking, I like it enough, but more important it will probably be a very accesible (easy) dungeon crawl game where I can also use my own models if I want to.
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 06:27:49 PM »
I don't mind the aesthetic, but it's definitely not great.  I'll probably buy in --- kicks off in about 1.5 hours.

If anything, if the monsters are generic enough types I'll just use my own figures (heck, maybe even my own terrain if the rules are good).  Black Plague has been phenomenal fun so far, and that mixed with a developing campaign mode for a dungeon crawl could be pretty excellent.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 08:40:36 PM »
Good lord...$430,000 in 40 minutes.

:o

Offline Kyusumu

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 11:13:50 PM »
Looks very interesting, thanks for sharing.  :)

Anybody seen details on what size scale the miniatures will be at?  28mm?
When fighting the thousand, you must still defeat them one at a time.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 11:21:55 PM »
If you're familiar with Zombicide - that scale.  I'd say easily 25-28, but flexible.  Because of the cartoon aesthetic, some are 25's, some 28's and some probably 32+. 

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 11:02:19 AM »
Just looking at this. Tempted, but I think I'll wait until it's 30% off in the shops.

$120 + $30 p&p to the UK (at a time of poor exchange rates) is too rich for me, not to mention the 10 months to wait.

Figure wise, they're okay, and some I would definitely buy (not crazy on the dwarfs - silly helmets). The big thing that's missing is skeletons, which seems strange. In fact, I don't see any undead in there at all.

I'm not sure how the tiles will work - seems rather limiting in terms of the number of combinations they can make. Zombicide works with those limitations because of the nature of the terrain it's emulating. Dungeons, as everybody knows :D are much more random in their layouts, with long corridors connecting rooms.

Still, I'm sure it will do well (it's already broken all its stretch goals as I type this), just not for me

Offline Redmao

• Scientist
  • Canadian Agent
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 01:02:17 PM »
I'll keep an eye on it to see what the exclusives will be.
It will take something really spectacular for me to buy something else on KS.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 01:09:43 PM »
I think it's very expensive...so I'm stunned by the way the KS is going. They are probably going to top 1 million in one day...insane!
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 01:28:21 PM »
The price is high, but it's pre-emptive.  They're aware that the recent KS have succeeded almost beyond expectation.  While $120 is obviously not worth it for the main box (probably retail at discount around $65) the end total will be worth $120.

The current unlocked content is already pretty extensive.  My friends and I will stay in unless it doesn't seem worth it at the end.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 01:35:50 PM »
The price is high, but it's pre-emptive.  They're aware that the recent KS have succeeded almost beyond expectation.  While $120 is obviously not worth it for the main box (probably retail at discount around $65) the end total will be worth $120.

I hate that. They know they will get loads of backers, so start with poor contents...and just add all the stuff as stretch goals. So it's added as "free stuff" while they knew it would be added to the box in the end. Urgh...

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 02:03:17 PM »
It's not their fault anymore than it is buyers' faults.   lol  It's the way Kickstarter evolved.  Kickstarter slowly became all about unlocks/bonuses/exclusives instead of just putting up money for a copy of the game.

Numerous companies have been caught out by offering way too much bonus material for the money they receive, etc.  So the options are release the KS for the MSRP or a little less (say $65-75) and hope people are interested enough in the game --- or pad the price and use a lot of unlocked content to keep the buzz/interest going.

The released game will likely have mostly the contents shown at the moment, all the other stuff will be available in expansions/boxes, etc.  For big companies with big games the only way to get people to buy in and follow is to have a load of free stuff etc.  It's just the way larger KS work now.  No worries.

If at the end of 30 days I don't think it's worth it, I'll bow out and grab it at discount when it hits retailers.  As it is now, it's already a load of content - about on par with the price.  It's already added 34 more figures (many of whom are larger creatures) and some other bits.  The box ships with I believe 70-75 minis, so 100+ minis and the game itself which is very likely to be good.  That's a fair value for me for sure.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 02:05:08 PM by Elbows »

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 03:32:49 PM »
Yep, you hit the nail on the head, Elbows.  My main thing nowadays is... do I really 'need' another 100 miniatures with the (likely) thousands I already have?  I hardly have enough time to play a game anymore, and I might paint 5-10 guys in a month.

It's not to say I can't be tempted by a good product/deal, I am just much more picky these days  lol