Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:10:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fireforge Teutonic Order Figures  (Read 2839 times)

Offline mdauben

• Scientist
Fireforge Teutonic Order Figures
« on: June 07, 2016, 08:04:36 PM »
I'm going to ask something that's probably backwards from the usual request.  I ran across the Fireforge website the other day and I've fallen in love with their Teutonic Order figures.  I'm about to order a box of the Knights and one of the Infantry, but the thing is I'm not sure what to do with them?  ???

I'd like a skirmish scale game system that won't require a hundred figures (in fact I'd like one that I could play with just the two boxes).  My first thought was SAGA: Crescent & Cross or Osprey's Lion Rampant.  Do either or both of these have a list suitable for the Teutonic Order figures?  Any suggestions on which might be better?  I know there are some local gamers who play the original SAGA but I don't know if they play the C&C version.

Any other suggestions or comments are welcome!  8)
Mike

Offline CaptainHaddonCollider

• Scientist
Re: Fireforge Teutonic Order Figures
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 08:15:19 PM »
Well, I would put my money in the Lion Rampant book. After playing both systems, I got tired of the battleboards and the special dice required for SAGA (I know, there is a converter in the book for normal d6, but still), and we now only use LR for medievals. With the two boxes mentioned, you even have more than enough points for an entire retinue. LR doesn't have specific armylists, but trooptypes, with some suggestions on how a teutonic order retinue might look like.

Offline ayak333

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 09:26:12 PM »
Ive played a decent amount of Saga, though only the viking age factions, but I own C&C. Ive also played a good amount of Lion rampant.  Both are fun and have their respective shortcomings.  Lion rampant is very fast paced but is a very fickle game, a players turn can end without moving a unit, which is both frustrating and fun, but it adds a fun random element to the game. Lion rampant's strength is that all the unit types play the way they should.  Saga is fun, and the battleboard's give all the factions their own flare and flavor.  In my opinion, the shortcomings of saga are the scenarios, but thats not the end of the world, and im sure some may disagree.  Lion rampant comes with twelve scenarios and they're all pretty fun.  Saga just came out with a campaign system called age of the wolf (or something like that), and all the saga factions from C&C and viking age are theoretically compatible to play against each other and are balanced.  The shortcomings of Lion rampant are that armies can be rather cookie cutter/ similar, but that depends on the type of armies you create.  In lion rampant the lists are just guides and are not strict for army construction, you can build whatever army composition you want with very little limitations.  The idea in lion rampant is to have little restrictions and to really make a force that seems suitable to the time/theatre of battle. 
I mainly game the baltic crusades, from which the Teutonic Order got their fame. For Saga, the Normans are suitable as the teutonic order, as are the Franks, and all of the christian factions in C&C are suitable as well.  Saga Rules cost a bit more than lion rampant. Another suggestion if you decide on Lion rampant is to buy the fantasy version dragon rampant, they are exactly the same, but dragon rampant offers a little more unit cusomization/upgrades.  Fireforge is about to release their medieval skirmish rules in a month or so, but I have no information on its mechanics.
So in short, saga factions have more variety in their play, and Lion rampant variety is a little more limited, but its ultimately up to the players in Lion rampant.  Both are fun. For saga, I use normal d6 for the saga dice (boo, hiss) its a really simple conversion.  Lion rampant may be a little faster paced because of the fickle nature of the turn structure.  Check out my blog to look at my baltic crusades minis, I have some halfway decent lion rampant battle reports, and some really poor saga battle reports.

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 11:53:30 PM »
Get them bought!  :D Not knowing what to do with shiny new miniatures never ever stops me from buying them ;) (as my long suffering wife will attest!)

Offline UbiqueMatt

• Bookworm
    • Ubique
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 10:38:44 AM »
I would recommend Lion Rampant. It is a simple game to pick up and doesn't require any special components. You use standard D6. You can also use different coloured dice to use as 'Battered' markers.

Lion Rampant  does have sample retinues, including sets for eastern Europe with retinues for the Teutonic order and Baltic pagans.

You can easily make a decent size retinue with a box of infantry and cavalry Fireforge figures.

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 01:08:23 PM »
I love the Teutonic Knights sets. Just one thing, when your choosing your army make sure you research each set. I wanted a choice of Mounted Crossbowmen or Mounted Sergeants and ended up buying more boxes than I needed (another box of foot sergeants) because I hadn't noticed the "Mounted Sergeant at Arms" set which would have given me both units.
For a 24pt Lion Rampant army you can use the list straight out of the rule book, but I have a couple of "alternative" units to swap in and out to make a little more flexible ( foot knights etc).
If you have seen them mine are here:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=72212.0

You can also get some nice Character minis from Gripping Beast to make some variation:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=80395.0

Regards
PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.

Offline mdauben

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 07:45:04 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the great replies!  Lots of information to absorb here but it sounds like I could really go with either rules set and be happy.  I'll have to try and talk to some of the locals and maybe we can come to a consensus about which one we want to use as a group.

Oh, and I went ahead and ordered the figures!   :D

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 10:47:46 AM »
I've played both Saga and Lion Rampant and I like both games.

But if you want something that is easy to pick up and run with then I'd recommend Lion Rampant. You can pretty much field whatever army you want.
I did exactly what you are planning and a couple of things that I'd advise is to get a box of Foot Sergeants (not the Teutonic Infantry). The sergeants box will give you a couple of units of foot and one of crossbows. Also, a box of Mounted Sergeants for some variety and also to add some mounted xbows to your forces.
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/