Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:10:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Aztecs and Conquistadores - Gloire?  (Read 3266 times)

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
Aztecs and Conquistadores - Gloire?
« on: January 20, 2009, 01:49:09 AM »
Is Gloire something I could use for matching Aztecs with Conquistadors? Is there perhaps a better set of rules on the market (or available on the net somewhere) that I could use to put together a few scenarios in the genre?

Would appreciate any suggestions!

-Doc

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Re: Aztecs and Conquistadores - Gloire?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 01:55:14 AM »
That depends on the size game you want.

Gloire is designed for the period you suggest, but is geared toward scenario based action with just a handful of models per player (check out the free downloads in the Speakeasy forum to give them a test drive).

http://rattrapproductions.com/speakeasy/viewforum.php?f=9

The latest supplement for Gloire (Among the War Parties) has some native and conquistador archetypes as well as a multi-part scenario set during the arrival of Cortez.

If you want to have larger combat, recreating large battles with more than about 10 models per side, then you would want a more wargame oriented set of rules as our lite version that I have just started toying around with won't be ready for some time.

Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 02:30:24 AM »
And let me just say, Pete really outdid himself writing that Conquistador campaign in AWP. The fluff is sheer awesomeness, and I love the way the whole 7-scenario campaign is set in the course of one night.

As for other rulesets, I'm sure there'll be a Song of Something Aztec-y and Something Conquistador-y sooner or later :)

(seriously though, I don't know any other rulesets off-hand, but there are bound to be many)
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 05:28:43 AM »
That depends on the size game you want.

Gloire is designed for the period you suggest, but is geared toward scenario based action with just a handful of models per player (check out the free downloads in the Speakeasy forum to give them a test drive).

http://rattrapproductions.com/speakeasy/viewforum.php?f=9

The latest supplement for Gloire (Among the War Parties) has some native and conquistador archetypes as well as a multi-part scenario set during the arrival of Cortez.

If you want to have larger combat, recreating large battles with more than about 10 models per side, then you would want a more wargame oriented set of rules as our lite version that I have just started toying around with won't be ready for some time.

What I am looking for specifically is a set that will allow multiple players to push small groups of figures. That is to say - no one player would have more than ten figures, but there would be multiple players. Could Gloire handle something like that?

-Doc

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 09:20:38 AM »
I put together these lists some time ago for LOTR which could work for what you want, may bneed to tweak some of the stats as I never got around to playing it as I have big armies and use either WAB or our own mass combat rules

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 12:28:45 PM »
What I am looking for specifically is a set that will allow multiple players to push small groups of figures. That is to say - no one player would have more than ten figures, but there would be multiple players. Could Gloire handle something like that?
Yes it can. The trick is really going to be in the scenario. There are two ways to play a multi-player game.

1.) Each player is out for himself
2.) Players are split up into opposing sides with half the players working together on each side.

If you do No. 1, my best suggestion is to have goals for each player that may or may not be the same as another player. For example, most players will run a multi-player game with everyone going after the same thing (say the crown jewels). This ends up with all the players shooting at one another as they approach them with the winner normally the last man standing. This can be fun, but what can be more fun is if each player has a different goal (or sometimes the same) and no one know what the other player's goals are. Do you team up with the rogue to rescue the queen or is he simply out to steal the royal crown?

If you have any questions or some ideas you want to toss out, just let me know.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 01:53:58 PM »
I have Gloire and all the supplements and I can not say enough good things about it. It is, in my mind at least, the perfect hybrid of roleplaying and miniatures rules.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 01:28:51 AM »
Doc, if you are just wanting to have encounters between a couple of conquistadores and maybe a couple of their native allies versus a group of six to eight Aztecs, then Gloire would serve the purpose.  But if you are looking to fight skirmishes of around 30 or 40 conquistadores and native allies versus 100 to 120 Aztecs, then you should look at The Sword and the Flame.  Although it was originally designed 25+ years ago to handle conflicts such as the British conquest of Zululand the basic ideas of the system has been adapted to earlier and later conflicts, including those involving bows, spears, swords, and black powder muzzle loading weapons.  There is a Yahoo Group titled something like "Sword Flame" where you could get more info about adaptations of TSATF.  Some role playing or heroic figure aspects could be grafted on, though TSATF is basically a skirmish wargame rules system.

I'm wondering if there is also a French and Indian War variant of Triumph and Trajedy (see the LAF thread).  If so, it could probably be tweeked for conquistador actions.  Haven't tried it myself, but it's supposed to be skirmish wargaming with some role playing or heroic figure aspects to it.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline NECROSTONE

• Librarian
  • I've been dead a very long time. Care to join me?
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 10:24:17 AM »
Sorry to sidetrack slightly but after other recommendations I have decided to buy these "Sword and the Flame" rules, but I cant find any UK trader who sells them.
Id rather not order from abroad if I can help it.
Can anyone help please?

Regards

Necrotious
"An orphan's curse would drag to Hell A spirit from on high: But O! more horrible than that Is the curse in a dead man's eye! Seven days, seven nights I saw that curse, And yet I could not die."

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 10:35:42 AM »
Sorry to sidetrack slightly but after other recommendations I have decided to buy these "Sword and the Flame" rules, but I cant find any UK trader who sells them.
Id rather not order from abroad if I can help it.
Can anyone help please?

Regards

Necrotious

I dont think so though you might find one at a show if you are very lucky, Amazon is your best bet

Offline NECROSTONE

• Librarian
  • I've been dead a very long time. Care to join me?
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 09:48:17 PM »
Bugger

Thanks LTD