Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 12:40:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696301
  • Total Topics: 118756
  • Online Today: 465
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some help for a noob ...  (Read 3099 times)

Offline Kelgtar

• Bookworm
Some help for a noob ...
« on: July 25, 2016, 10:07:22 AM »
Hey guys

Let me just jump straight into :

As a kid I've always been fascinated by the old west. Be it comics, movies and toys. Anyway I'm a wargamer (offc) but mostly 28mm ww2. However I have some old west buildings but no figurines.

I'm keen on starting the project but I would love to hear what is the most fun ruleset to play (just with friends, no tournament and club stuff). Thinking the ruleset will allow me to start building and painting some stuff.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
Re: Some help for a noob ...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 12:11:33 PM »
Dead Man's Hand is excellent. A real cinematic feel, and the card play is thematic, too.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 01:07:21 PM »
That's one of the nice things about Old West gaming - there isn't really a bad/heavy/competitive rule set out there.

Most of the rule sets are reasonably cheap and require little else.  There are loads of them out there.  Dead Man's Hand is popular, as is the re-released Fistful of Lead.  Shoot N' Skedaddle will be out shortly and the rulebook is free so you can check it out before purchase.  GW Historicals used to produce a game called Legends of the Old West, based on Mordheim/Necromunda.  It's pretty decent.

There are some others like Six Gun Sound, The Rules with No Name, Blackwater Gulch, etc.  There is Gutshot but that's a bit more heavy role-play than the others (normally concentrating on a figure or two per player).  I don't think you can really go wrong.  If you let us know what kind of game mechanics you prefer we can probably help you out.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 01:25:43 PM »
What Elbows said...

The great thing about Old West gaming is that there are loads of great ruleset out there and the same Figures and terrain can be used for all so if you hunt around you should be able to find one you like the feel of.

Even games such as In Her Majesty's Name and in particular Pulp Alley could be used for Old West gaming without much changing.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 01:28:16 PM »
Also, worth noting is that you can collect figures/terrain and play any of the games.  They're almost all skirmish level games with no basing rules/restrictions etc.  When I started Old West gaming I think I had 4-5 rule sets at one time, feeling my way through - trying to decide what I liked.  There are few eras/types of miniatures that you can collect and then play a dozen different rule sets - Old West being one of them.  I feel the same way about Gladiator gaming.

You just can't go wrong painting up some Cowboys.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 01:34:40 PM »
GW Historicals used to produce a game called Legends of the Old West, based on Mordheim/Necromunda.  It's pretty decent.

It should be noted, though, that the actual game mechanics are from the Lord of the Rings game. Some folks don't like them too much, but I found them to be eminently suitable. Furthermore, they mesh rather well with the Necromunda / Mortheim-derived campaign rules, which really made LotOW what it was. As a one-off, it's nothing extraordinarily, but in a multiplayer narrative, it really shines for about 6-8 campaign intervals.

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 01:43:03 PM »
In no particular order:

Dead Man's Hand
Shoot N' Skedaddle
Fistful of Lead
Legends of the Old West
Pulp Alley

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 03:24:28 PM »
Here's a link I was looking for.

http://wargamesandrailroads.blogspot.com/2016/06/wild-west-rules-compilation.html

From a blog (I think a LAF member runs this one) but it does a big comparison of various Old West games, and includes mechanics/reviews of each.  Each game has its own post later as well.  Worth looking through.  Only cover 5-6 games but they're all current.

Offline pops

• Scientist
    • Wargamers PX
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 03:35:02 PM »
I'm a noob to Old West gaming as well - have looked at a couple of rule sets and have found for me personally that Desperado appears to be the simplest and most straight forward.

Might be because I was past the age when D & D came out - but I am not into keeping track of all sorts of attributes, and some of the rules I have seen are very heavy on that.

I like a rule set with a minimum amount of text - nice and simple...

May your tumbleweeds keep tumblin' along!

All the best,

Frank

Offline Leigh Metford

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 02:22:08 AM »
You might also consider 'Law of the Gun' by Chris Peers. Figures operate in small 'units' of up to four figures, the mechanics are simple and emphasise morale and cover, and it has the flexibility for you to assign the limited range of skills as heavily or lightly as you deem appropriate to a particular character.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 03:08:30 AM »
Desperado is quite fun and allow for a very easygoing and often humorous narrative style to the game, Forrest Harris over at Knuckleduster Miniatures collaborated on a very nicely updated version some time in the last few years.  I've also heard very good things about Dead Man's Hand and would like to give it a try.

Offline sespe

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 07:00:02 PM »
Fistful of Lead gets my vote.  I run a game at a con each year, very simple and quick to teach the mechanics to people.  Started with LoTW and tried several more.  Just used Pulp Alley, I liked it a lot but the rest of the group wasn't sure yet.

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 02:55:20 PM »
As the author of Fistful of Lead, I can tell you it was written with "noobs" in mind. It's perfect for kids and adults alike. You'll pick up the rules in 10 minutes, max. A lot of clubs use it for cons and pick up games for that reason.
That's not to say there isn't a tactical depth to it.
The pdf is only $9.99 and includes 20+ scenarios.
http://www.wargamevault.com/product/187463/Fistful-of-Lead-Reloaded
And I'm always here to answer questions.
-J

Offline kenohhkc

• Scientist
  • I Can't Help Myself
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 03:28:25 PM »
Agree with the Baron, and its not because I have been playing these rules since their creation. To me FoL is my choice because you never feel like you are playing the rules. There is villainy an double dealin, an back stabbin, and a dose of strategery but the mechanics never get in the way of having fun during the game. You play the game(scenario) and not the rules. my 2 buffalo nickles...

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2016, 11:06:53 PM »
Only FofL can do this...

The Ringo Kid and his underthings break Tuco out of the jail. They go from one end of Dead Man's Gulch t'other killing anyone as gets in their way, in the time it takes Marshal Twerp to get his strides on and his fat ass, out of Dolores Trollop's knocking shop. Dolores follows the Marshal out carrying his enormous weapon, a Bluntline Special to be preesise, which he's overlooked in his haste to go do his civic duties. Tuco and The Kid drop the unarmed bastion of law and order in a blizzard of lead... Dolores, enraged at the demise of her most valued meal ticket to severe lead poisoning, cocks the big shooting iron and drops both the baddies with shots right between the minces. Restoring peace, harmony and tranquillity to the Gulchers.

Only FofL can do this.

:o  :-*  :o
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 11:09:24 PM by Harry Faversham »
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"