Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:10:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Cernunnos and the Cŵn Annwn  (Read 3189 times)

Offline Richard in Sachsen

• Scientist
Cernunnos and the Cŵn Annwn
« on: August 09, 2016, 01:42:49 PM »
Finally got these done as well.

Here is my Cernunnos. He's actually a Reaper Beastman but kinda big. He's next to my crazy Saxon uncle for a size comparison:

He came with a cast-on kite shield from the High Middle Age period and a huge high-fantasy sword. It wasn't exactly my thing. So I took the Dremel and removed the shield, his elaborate scabbard, and cut off his sword hand. I took a spear out of my bit box and sculpted a hand around the shaft and pinned it to his arm. I had some Noch model train ivy and placed that also around the shaft. I find something mythological about growing ivy from a spear shaft.

Oh, and that's not a smile on his face, just a trick of the camera. No, really, it's not lol

I had to find the largest 28mm round shield (from Foundry) I had... and it still looks like a buckler on him.

Like the hounds, I painted his eyes an acrylic fluorescent green, then put a white dot in there for the light reflection. Last week I got some clear red, yellow and green paints. I needed something realistic for blood (thanks, mrtn, for the suggestion) and the set came with green. So I decided to see what the green would do on his (and the hounds) eyes. I liked the effect it gave.

I think I would do his tattoos differently if I did him over. He has woad tattoos but seeing that he's a god, and therefore ancient, I figured his tattoos may just be a little faded by now. Well, they turned out faded alright, I accomplished that. The problem is that they hardly show in photos as well as on the tabletop. You really have to look. I got too clever by half.

The hounds are actually from Tom Meier's (one of the founding members of Ral Partha, now of Thunderbolt Mountain in the US) 32mm (really, sleek 28mm) wood elf collection. He's got a wood elf pack master and I thought the hounds would be perfect as Cŵn Annwn with their elvish-otherworldly-Faërie look.

And there they are, going on the wild hunt. Not sure if they work with OGAM, I haven't read through it yet. But since this is also a mythology board, I thought I'd post them here.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 02:10:44 PM by Richard in Sachsen »
You go to war with the figures you have, not the figures you wish you had!

Offline mrtn

• Scientist
Re: Cernunnos and the Cŵn Annwn
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 09:25:45 PM »
Nice work. I can't see the smile though, the pictures are too small, on my desktop computer they fill only something like 1/20th of the screen. Nice movement tray for them all.

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 04:23:08 AM »
Thanks. I don't know what happens, but something happens between upload to photobucket and linking to here that makes the pictures smaller. When I try to enlarge them after I link them, they get fuzzy. By email, the pictures are larger and crisper. I must be doing something wrong in the process of uploading them here but I'm not sure what.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 09:02:55 AM »
Thanks. I don't know what happens, but something happens between upload to photobucket and linking to here that makes the pictures smaller. When I try to enlarge them after I link them, they get fuzzy. By email, the pictures are larger and crisper. I must be doing something wrong in the process of uploading them here but I'm not sure what.

Had a look, and the links go straight to small sized images in your Photobucket account. You will need to either upload larger files there or to your member's account here on LAF's own gallery. Pictures of 640x480px to 800x600px are just fine.

Offline mrtn

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 09:13:32 AM »
Have a look-see in the PB settings, I think there's a "shrink everything" that might be the culprit. But I haven't really touched my PB settings in years, so it's a bit fussy.

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 10:53:30 AM »
Thanks for the help, I'll try a test picture from the gallery I just made and see if it's any better

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 11:00:40 AM »
Now the files are too large, I'll have to fiddle with them to get them down to size.

Thanks, though, that helps

Offline mrtn

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 04:16:07 PM »
I think that's a good size. Looking good too.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 06:53:07 PM »
Lovely stuff and an interesting subject. Nicely done  :-*

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 07:27:24 PM »
These are really good - like the customisation! They should play ok with OGAM, you need a god, two or three legends (hero types) and around a dozen mortals (dogs, humans etc).

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 07:32:36 PM »
Thanks fellas, I appreciate it

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 12:34:43 PM »
Very interesting !

i like that figurine and the conversion you made with.   :D

i miss this fellow in the Reaper catalogue.... ???
an idea about the reference ?
Does it's availaible in Bones Range ?

cheers
Eric
Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 11:12:41 PM »
I think it is this guy but its hard to tell

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/beastmen/price/02900

I'm also keen to find out as he looks great

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 12:25:33 PM »
6mm Fan, yes, that's him. I couldn't find him anymore on the Reaper website, so I thought that perhaps he was discontinued. But that's him and you can see the shield, sword and scabbard that I removed to modify him. He had been sitting around in my lead pile until I came across the idea that he would make a fairly decent Herne the Hunter-type.

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 12:32:26 PM »
Very interesting !

i like that figurine and the conversion you made with.   :D

i miss this fellow in the Reaper catalogue.... ???
an idea about the reference ?
Does it's availaible in Bones Range ?

cheers
Eric

Hello Eric, yes he is from Reaper, but as I replied to 6mm Fan, I couldn't seem to find him again the last time I looked. I couldn't remember which range he was with and Reaper's web site is rather difficult to navigate as they pages and pages of figures and I probably missed his listing. 6mm Fan, however, found him with the link above. has the link above.