Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:44:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 519
Total: 524

Recent

Author Topic: Haradrim 'snake cultists'  (Read 7651 times)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Re: Haradrim 'snake cultists'
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 11:08:37 AM »
OK, that brings them back to the size I originally thought they were. Thanks.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 11:37:43 AM »
The earlier LotR figures are very small, but later releases seem to be suffering from the inevitable "scale-creep". The plastics do seem smaller than their metal counterparts, even those that are released roughly simultaneously. This gives the rather annoying result that the plastic High Elves are short-arses and are dwarfed by the various metal human figures, when they are supposed to be well over 6 feet tall. To make matters worse, the metal high Elves are a little taller than the plastics. The Uruk-hai are also quite weedy, when in the films they are definitely on a par with the average South African rugby forward >:(

Many of the later human figures fit in quite well with other 28mm ranges and I'm quite happy to use my Perry Beja alongside LotR Haradrim, Darkest Africa tribesmen, Zulus and the various ranges of Almoravids etc in my Southron army.

I think the perception that the LotR figures are too small generally stems from them being much more anatomically correct than most 28mm figures, which is probably also true of the Perrys' historical ranges. There is a lack of "bulk" which many find off-putting.

Whatever, I'm not too fussy with differences in figure sizes and my Beja include figures from Perry, Redoubt and various other manufacturers. They all fight and die equally well :)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 11:44:38 AM »
Maximus,
Have you posted pics of your Southrons? I'd love to see someone else's non-GW LotR Haradrim collection... ;D
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline Mad Carew Snr

• Scientist
  • One in the Eye for the little yellow god
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 06:20:08 PM »
ALL non-GW figures are worth a look!  GW make nice LoTR figures, true, but their "official" line on everything is so annoying - its Fantasy after all  ;)
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone
The song is over
Thought I'd something more to say

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 03:41:13 PM »
I know, but their tie in to New Line may force their hands a lot.........  o_o
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2010, 10:04:57 AM »
Finally completed
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 08:47:20 AM by sukhe_bator »

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2010, 04:19:07 PM »
That was a bit of Threadomancy!

This is the post I always remember regarding the Fantasy side of the site.

Great work, only took a year!  ;D

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2010, 04:47:57 PM »
Well, he's a follwer of the Lord of the Black Land, isn't he? Threadomancy (or let's face it, the search for ancient and forbidden knowledge) is part of the job description.

These look great - lovely painting, great use of figures, excellent background, especially the idea that they they get jacked up on snake venom, and really nice to see someone doing something different with a GW game (which I think we'll all agree suffer from 'officialdom' to say the least).

Nice work all round Sukhe_Bator!

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 09:05:24 AM »
Thanks guys. You'll get a chance to see them annihilated by the good guys alongside the rest of my Haradrim at Salute 2010 at the Armies of Arcana demo game...

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 11:21:47 AM »
Thanks guys. You'll get a chance to see them annihilated by the good guys alongside the rest of my Haradrim at Salute 2010 at the Armies of Arcana demo game...

Might have to come and look at that. Looks interesting.

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 11:43:05 AM »
I noticed that too, and wasn't terribly happy about it.  While larger orcs can be mixed freely with smaller ones, my Roharim look puny next to the plastic corsairs.  I compared the larger LoTR plastics to some of the Warhammer Fantasy models, and while they have gotten bigger, they are still noticibly smaller than the Empire chaps.

The earlier LotR figures are very small, but later releases seem to be suffering from the inevitable "scale-creep". The plastics do seem smaller than their metal counterparts, even those that are released roughly simultaneously. This gives the rather annoying result that the plastic High Elves are short-arses and are dwarfed by the various metal human figures, when they are supposed to be well over 6 feet tall. To make matters worse, the metal high Elves are a little taller than the plastics. The Uruk-hai are also quite weedy, when in the films they are definitely on a par with the average South African rugby forward >:(

Many of the later human figures fit in quite well with other 28mm ranges and I'm quite happy to use my Perry Beja alongside LotR Haradrim, Darkest Africa tribesmen, Zulus and the various ranges of Almoravids etc in my Southron army.

I think the perception that the LotR figures are too small generally stems from them being much more anatomically correct than most 28mm figures, which is probably also true of the Perrys' historical ranges. There is a lack of "bulk" which many find off-putting.

Whatever, I'm not too fussy with differences in figure sizes and my Beja include figures from Perry, Redoubt and various other manufacturers. They all fight and die equally well :)
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2010, 11:23:12 AM »
I was right, despite being high as a kite, in the event my cultists were annihilated by dwarvish beserkers at Salute 2010, losing the melee 11/2 (ouch!) :o.

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 11:43:26 AM »
I saw that game and thought it very well presented,

memo to self read the threads more closely then you will be able to engage with fellow LAFers when the time arises  ;)

sorry you lost

dodge