Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:51:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Easy ways to paint camo?  (Read 2053 times)

Offline Blofeld

• Scientist
    • Frontline armchair
Easy ways to paint camo?
« on: August 17, 2016, 08:43:12 AM »
Has anyone got any easy techniques for painting camo? I've got no hand eye coordination whatsoever and my few attempts at just painting on camo have gone pretty badly so I was wondering if the lead adventure hive mind had any camo painting hacks?
Thanks
Blofeld

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
Re: Easy ways to paint camo?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 08:59:04 AM »
A good paintingservice??? Ok, Mick from Switzerland made a good tutorial here. And Stone-Cold-lead has some good ideas on his website. He uses wooden sticks (teethsticks). On the warlordgames website is also some tutorials for camo (SS-Camo), that helps.
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 09:02:17 AM »
PaintingWar is a great resource
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 09:39:14 AM »
My own exploits have been mostly dotting on colours and not bothering to much about accuracy or the size of the dots. Then giving the whole thing a wash to tie it together. It works for me. Here I have been trying to hit the danish variant of the Flecktarn.

I have seen others achieve great results by sponging on the camo colours. It works great for immitating more modern digital camo.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 09:45:35 AM »
Tutorial is at the bottom of page 1 here :D

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=64486.0

Offline Nysse

• Scientist
    • Engineered Gaming
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 12:29:26 PM »
I painted my Marpat in a rather simple fashing doing straight lines horizontally and vertically on the uniform. Worked out rather nicely and from a distance it looks quite convincing. Close ups not so much :) Personally I think the trick to camo is exaggerating the scale of the pattern to at least 3-4 times larger than it would be in real life. It give some resemblance of the original, while still being achievable. Plus a real size pattern would with most design just look like a smudge on the miniature. And go light on the colours. If I'd go back to my USMC I'd probably do at least the base brownish shade lighter as the minis are rather dark.

Also check out pictures of what the camo looks like on real troops when they are more than a few meters away. That's what you really want to achieve on your minis. It's all fine trying to copy a close up picture of the pattern, but really on someone 10 meters away the design will be very blurred out especially on some of the modern digital camos.

I also wrote a tutorial on how I painted them a few years back. Might be helpful. It can be found here: http://engineered-gaming.blogspot.fi/2014/05/tutorial-usmc-in-woodland-marpat.html

The Vallejo Orange Ochre that I used as the base colour is a close match to the original, but on the miniature I recommend taking a bit lighter one, especially if you'll apply a wash later.
Chronicling my fight against a growing lead pile with some occasional gaming: Engineered Gaming

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 04:31:49 AM »
Very nice...and thanks for the tutorials!

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/