Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:59:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Malifaux Ten Thunders figures (New Komainu Mecha-Foo Dogs 9/17/16)  (Read 3402 times)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Shiny new Jorogumo model from Wyrd, just released over GenCon.

A fairly complex plastic model, although not too difficult to assemble by Malifaux standards.  Quite large too, that's a 50mm base it's barely fitting on.

One of three sculpts for this troop type, which are sold as a single $40 boxed set.

Which is actually kind of baffling to me, because at 9 soulstones apiece not very many people are going to want three jorogumo in a single crew.  The pose variety is nice, but 27 stones committed to melee minions (even very good melee minions) is quite a lot.

The color scheme is a slightly lighter version of the box cover art.  Conveniently it also works well for use as a D&D/Pathfinder drider proxy.

Could also work as a Gloranthan spider-broo, or maybe some servant of Cragspider.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 06:48:31 PM by Hobby Services »

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Latest project: Malifaux Jorogumo / Drider
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 11:12:39 PM »
And a few shots of the other two poses:

All in all, a really nice trio of sculpts with some nice cross-game utility outside of Malifaux itself.  Could even work as relatively low-tech aliens in a scifi setting.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Malifaux Ten Thunders figures (New Obsidian Oni 9/10/16)
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 07:35:11 PM »
Some more Malifaux paintups, continuing the Ten Thunders painting jag I seem to be on.  This time, the Obsidian Oni, mid-cost brawler models with a lot of versatility and combo potential for their modest cost:

The color scheme is taken from the box art, which seems to think obsidian is purplish.  Who am I to argue, maybe Malifaux has funny-colored volcanic glass or something.  Tainted by all those soulstones perhaps?

Pretty big models even allowing for Malifaux's 32mm scale - those are 40mm bases they're standing on.  The poses are pretty dynamic and as with many Malifaux plastics they show some really fine details, particularly on those slender weapon hilts and hafts.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Malifaux Ten Thunders figures (New Toshiro & Obsidian Oni 9/10/16)
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 12:09:57 AM »
And one more, this time the undead daimyo Toshiro:

Another fairly large model on a 40mm base.

Interesting sculpt, particularly the bamboo flagpole jammed through his torso and the slouching, shambling pose.

Wish this fig had been around when I was still messing around with Clan Wars, would have been a good fit for both Shadowlands and corrupted Crab armies.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Malifaux Ten Thunders figures (New Komainu Mecha-Foo Dogs 9/17/16)
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 06:59:27 PM »
And still more, this time some Komainu, which are pretty much mechanical Foo Dogs (or maybe Lions) based off the mythical temple guardians.

Only two poses of these figs, although there's a little potential to vary them a bit by repositioning the legs a bit.  Another odd packaging choice by Wyrd, since these are fairly cheap models at 5 soulstones each and fielding three or more of them in an Ancestor-heavy list could work well due to built-in synergies.

Still, they're nice sculpts and fairly easy to assemble.  Good-sized too, those are 40mm bases.

Can see them being useful outside of Malifaux as well, since their robotic look makes them suitable for scifi settings.  Could easily see them as guardian bots for an Adeptus Mechanicus tech priest or some similar role.

Gabbi

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 07:43:54 PM »
Nice paintings, especially love Obsidian Oni(s). But seriously, Wyrd should learn to keep models inside bases.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 07:46:04 PM by Gabbi »

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Malifaux figures (New Komainu Mecha-Foo Dogs 9/17/16)
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 08:56:23 PM »
Nice paintings, especially love Obsidian Oni(s). But seriously, Wyrd should learn to keep models inside bases.

Meh, I'm too jaded to worry about base overflow.  They're minor offenders compared to the horrors of Privateer Press.  I'm looking at you, Skorne Mammmoth.  120mm base and you still can't get it in melee range safely.  :)

Gabbi

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 06:52:43 PM »
The overhang doesn't bug me as much as the fact that often you just can't put the miniature with bot feet resting inside the base, you have to build some kind of extension...
The Bloodwretches, for example: https://gabbigames.wordpress.com/2016/09/07/neverborn-bloodwretch-e-terror-tot/
...or The Crossroads Seven: http://gmortschaotica.blogspot.it/2015/09/unboxing-malifaux-crossroads-seven.html
Those Jorogumo are ridiculous, imo. Make models smaller or add a base size to the game.

This said, I feel your pain regarding some WM minis...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 06:56:15 PM by Gabbi »

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 07:49:37 PM »
The overhang doesn't bug me as much as the fact that often you just can't put the miniature with bot feet resting inside the base, you have to build some kind of extension...
The Bloodwretches, for example: https://gabbigames.wordpress.com/2016/09/07/neverborn-bloodwretch-e-terror-tot/
...or The Crossroads Seven: http://gmortschaotica.blogspot.it/2015/09/unboxing-malifaux-crossroads-seven.html
Those Jorogumo are ridiculous, imo. Make models smaller or add a base size to the game.

This said, I feel your pain regarding some WM minis...

Ooh, the band does look like a bit of an overflow nightmare, doesn't it?  I'm tempted to take a stab at that set myself now. 

The jorogumo really aren't so bad IMO, the legs can be repositioned a fair bit (especially if you're willing to putty them some) and the ones that actually make ground contact do fit (barely) a 50mm base.  And they are lovely dynamic poses, vastly better than any of the other spider and drider sculpts I've seen.  The insane (in game terms - 27 SS of melee-only minions???) packaging is way more of an issue, but it does make painting them for resale as single figures rather a breeze, so I don't have any complaints there personally.

I suspect we'll see larger bases (and models) from Wyrd when The Other Side pops and we get a semi-mass combat game from them.