Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:34:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691076
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 832
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: what size bases?  (Read 1972 times)

Offline Parrot

• Librarian
what size bases?
« on: August 25, 2016, 08:40:48 PM »
What size bases do people use and what manufacturers for individual based infantry?  I have seen a lot of round bases and squares.  20mm square is what I have been using but I was curious to know what else is popular.  I have been using the green squares that come with many of the plastic boxes because that is what I first started with and in order to keep things uniform,  have continued to use them.  What do other people use?

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: what size bases?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 08:47:14 PM »
If you want to rank the models up into formed units, square seems to be most popular - 20mm for close order formations (heavy infantry), 25mm for looser ones (irregulars).

For looser units like skirmishers or for skirmish gaming I like round bases, 2p coins by preference (also I also use 1p coins). They just seem to be about the right size and I like the weight (plus they're cheap ... only 2p each one might say).
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 08:51:22 PM »
As I mainly play skirmish games I use GW style round slotta bases, as I started out with LOTR rules and just kept using them, as you say to keep things uniform. I figure if I need them in formations for a different sent of rules I'll just use sabot movement trays.

I know square would rank up better, and larger bases with say four figures based together look great and you can add extra character to almost have mini dioramas, but I'm a couple of thousand in so there's no turning back now :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 11:38:09 PM by tyrionhalfman »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 11:33:01 PM »
I'm using metal washers, you can find lots of size, and it brings stability and weight to plastic minis.

The thiness of washers is also very good looking, and especially natural : the figure seems to be on the ground, not on a museum pedestal. This way the figure doesn't look too tall near buildings, or vehicles and animals.

It's also a good way to mix diferent brands of figures, of diferent sizes : you can add a plastic stand on the washer and glue the fig on it  to make a figure taller, you can on the contrary remove the molded (on plastic figures but also on some metal or resin figures) stand to make the figure smaller, and glue it on the washer.

Or you can simply use washers for your biggest figures, and use slotabases for the small ones.

;)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 12:05:46 AM »
As I mainly play skirmish games I use GW style round slotta bases, as I started out with LOTR rules and just kept using them, as you say to keep things uniform. I figure if I need them in formations for a different sent of rules I'll just use sabot movement trays.

I know square would rank up better, and larger bases with say four figures based together look great and you can add extra character to almost have mini dioramas, but I'm a couple of thousand in so there's no turning back now :)

I think this is a good idea for multi-system gaming as well. There are plenty of companies out there who make sabot trays in various thicknesses and diameters, or who are happy to make different sizes to order. You get to tick both boxes with this system.

Offline dbsubashi

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 02:49:32 AM »
1" round Renedra bases. Must have bought 800 so far. Nice and thin, and glues to plactic ranges perfectly. I use 1" x 2" bases and use a corner cutter on them for mounted models.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 07:37:22 AM »
I am all over the place. My ECW infantry is on a mix of 20×20, 20×40, and 40×40 plastic bases. My Andalusians are all on 25mm round bases in sabot trays  (they started off as a Saga project) and my Ming are on 25mm hex bases for Ronin.

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 10:35:11 PM »
I play skirmish, I mostly use 20mm washers; and 20 x 20mm card squares for some infantry specially trained to fight in close order, 50 x 25 mm rectangles for cavalry.

I like bases to be as thin as possible (as discret as possible above the battlefield) I always cut the part under the feet of the minis intended for slotta bases and I glue their feet on a thin piece of card or paper and then on the base mentioned above.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 07:20:00 PM »
What size bases do people use and what manufacturers for individual based infantry?

What's that? ;)

I have a strange, arbitrary set of rules for what gets based how. Units for medieval/fantasy mass battle and larger skirmish (like 12-strong Lion/Dragon Rampant units) go on square unit bases or multibases. For smaller units (6-strong L/DR) or individual models in skirmish games, individual round bases of an appropriate size.

Manufacturers... all that's with flat brown Renedra bases. Small-scale sci-fi (Epic) goes on flat black Renedra bases. ;D I prefer flat bases these days, but 28mm sci-fi still goes on GW or Dice slottabases. Mostly because I can't be bothered to rebase the bucket 'o' nids I still have, some of which need a slottabase for stability, and I want any additions or opponents to match.