Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 10, 2024, 07:51:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697010
  • Total Topics: 118806
  • Online Today: 591
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for a new type of game  (Read 4384 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Looking for a new type of game
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 01:57:53 PM »
Have there been any companies to produce additional mats in the lovely mousepad material?  I think they could make some good money producing a bunch of alternative mats for that game (or some even larger, 3'x3' etc.)
2024 Painted Miniatures: 244
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline nheastvan

• Assistant
  • Doing late 19th century in 54mm
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 02:42:47 PM »
I'd go for generic (like the ones from osprey, or available in pdf on wargame vault) skirmish rulesets, so you can collect and use whatever figures you like ;)

This.  There are so many great skirmish games out there and even more great miniatures.

I would start with terrain building.  Pick a genre or period and fill a 3x3 full of terrain with a good amount of line of sight blocking items in the mix and when the terrain is done, find some figures you think are cool and finally, when they are done, worry about the rules.  It might be prudent to not base the miniatures until you pick your rules, but I'd just base them individually on round bases and if you go with something that uses stands or ranked up bases, deal with it then in the form of sabots.  There are some great ones from laser cut basing companies.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 02:45:13 PM by nheastvan »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 03:46:57 PM »
A few things to address

1)Old Malifaux figs. Should be perfectly tournament legal. As for the Rules for Malifaux, I've no idea whether they are tight enough or not to meet your qualifications

2) Playing publicly: Tames with tight tournament rules that tend to have a strong following and don't take up much space:
-If you're highly competitive I would Recommend Warmahordes.  Super tight rules, great minis and seems to have one of the strongest tournament scenes of any game anywhere.  It is brutally competitive though. 
-Consider X-wing also.  Lots of folks are having fun repainting the ships and it seems to equal or exceed Warmachine in terms of the ease of finding other gamers to play against.

Playing Privately-
-Check out Two Hour Wargames.  These mostly-generic games are unparalleled in the solo-gaming world.  I'm not personally a fan of their base mechanics, but they have alot of fans and a ruleset for just about every interest. Check out the three free, high-quality rulesets they offer to get a feel for the THW system.
-The benefit of doing some solo THW gaming is that you'll end up with figs you can use for other games like Song of Blades, Dragon Rampant, etc...

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 10:45:32 PM »
SAGA would definitely be worth looking at.

Offline The Bibliophile

• Scientist
    • Scrum in Miniature
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 07:39:31 PM »
Mason: Your "Strange Aeons" board is a work of art. I would love to put together a board of that quality someday!

Check out the board over here for more info and ideas of what others are doing with the system:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?board=45.0

Scrum in Miniature (my gaming blog): http://miniaturescrum.blogspot.com
Scrum Con (my miniatures+RPG convention in Wash, DC): https://sites.google.com/view/scrum-con/home
Above the Fray Miniatures (my minis company): https://sites.google.com/view/abovethefrayminiatures/home

Offline DavyJones

• Scientist
    • GlueandDice.com - Adventures in small worlds
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2016, 07:47:04 AM »
I would also recommend Pulp Alley. SAGA is also a nice game, but the numbers of minis involved are slightly higher. Maybe Triumph & Tragedy could also be suitable, if played with smaller units.

@Mason: fantastic board  :o.

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2016, 11:24:12 AM »
Let me just add one thought to all the excellent suggestions: There is no reason why you couldn't play a game that's geared towards 28mm figures and larger tables. Being in a similar situation to yours, that's what I do all the time.

I'm playing Sharp Practice on a 80cm x 100cm board with 15mm figures - I've reduced all distances by one third. The same with SAGA: All distances are shortened by one third, which is easy to do with the measuring sticks. The proportions stay the same and with the smaller figures it doesn't look squeezed together at all. I've even played Hail Caesar this way!

Offline Grand Arcanum Games

• Schoolboy
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2016, 01:35:46 PM »
I'd offer my own game: The Roots of Magic for consideration. http://therootsofmagic.com/

Its played on a 2'x2' space, using as little as a single miniature each, but currently can be played with up to 3 models a side (this will increase in time, allowing players to field the level they are comfortable with).

The setting for the game is Wizards of rival Houses of Magic engaging in duels to show that their style, or Root, of magic is the strongest. There are eight factions so far, each focusing on a different type of playstyle. We have released three duel scenarios to this point, each one requiring players to think differently to win the duel. I believe they are significantly different and thought provoking to ensure you can have a blast playing. The rules and game cards for models are free to download on the site.

The models are a very strong point imo -

They are resin and usually under 4 pieces. Some are one piece! Highly detailed work from skilled up and coming sculptors. The scale is approx 30mm to the eyes in a naturally proportioned scale. They fit in well with most 28mm ranges though.

In terms of space/cost and based on your initial requirements, this could be the game for you!

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2016, 01:40:35 PM »
A couple of comments firstly:

1) Skirmish games are very popular right now, and most seem to require 2'x2' to 4'x4' playing areas. Whatever you choose to play though, you will still also need some extra space or a small side-table for things like rulebooks, dead models, etc.

2) Some skirmish games have very high terrain requirements, which means that despite the small playing area, you will still need reasonable storage for the terrain. There are workarounds to this though!

3) Consider what scale of game you would like to play. 15mm is very cheap, but 28/30mm is more popular due to the prevalence of "big name" games.

Next up, I don't really know what your preference is for - making terrain, modelling, painting, or playing. Nor do I know if you are more likely to play narrative or competitive games, or if you would prefer a solo game or one that you can play at a local club. I will therefore make a variety of suggestions!

Space games can be played without much terrain, and with reasonably few models that you don't have to paint (or spend much time painting). Two good examples are the very popular X-Wing, and the newly-released Dropfleet Commander. A further advantage is that if you use something like a terrain mat, it can just be rolled up and put away when you're not playing. If you want to spend more time on the modelling and painting side, these games still offer good opportunities. If you fancy X-Wing, I believe the rules are free to download from Fantasy Flight's website (although you will still need cards, templates, special dice, and tokens to play).

Malifaux is a very fun game, played on a 3'x3' table, and is reasonably popular. All your old models are still valid and playable, although you will need one or more new decks of model stat cards. There is a mini rulebook for cheap, although the full rules are free from Wyrd's website too. It's pretty competitive, but also has loads of special narrative scenarios and terrain setting rules - so you can normally adapt whatever terrain you have well enough within reason, or even play on a custom board representing something like the inside of a theatre or a saloon, or underground in mining tunnels, or whatever.

Warmachine and Hordes are again very popular, and again have full free rules online, and are played on a 4' x 4' table. Terrain favoured by most players tends to be more abstract and "playable" than fully scenic, and some 6-8 mixed elements are usually enough to keep you going for a while. The new edition of the game (Mk3), has a heavier focus on the magical generals and their associated beats/robots this time around, so although there are lots of units available for each faction, you can get away with only a couple to keep model numbers down in your collection. It's a very clean game rules-wise (like Malifaux), and is strictly about gameplay first and foremost. This can make it feel a bit cheesy if you're not expecting it, but is actually great fun if you are that way inclined.

Infinity is another popular skirmish game, but has high terrain requirements despite being played on a 4' x 4' board. All the rules, model rules, and army-building tool are fully free online, available directly from Corvus Belli. Infinity is rather complicated to learn, and has a lot of rules to remember, which results in a fairly steep learning curve. Until you have a good grasp of the game and rules, it will not feel especially balanced - although perseverance is worthwhile as the game is very action-oriented and fun (and balanced!).

GW made a number of classic skirmish games in the past, and these remain surprisingly fun and popular today. Rules for Necromunda (sci-fi gang warfare) and Mordheim (fantasy gang warfare) are freely available online (Yaktribe has all the original digital files available for download that GW released freely before they dropped support for the games). These games are not always especially balanced, but they are characterful skirmish campaign games with low model count requirements. Like Infinity though, they both need lots of terrain to be properly playable. Even though the models for both games are out of print, there are still loads and loads of alternative options (including converting figures). You will need a 4' x 4' space to play these.

There are also many (many!) more skirmish games out there that you might like, but I cannot speak for their wider popularity. If you have anything specific in mind that you'd like to try, please ask as I'm sure that we can guide you towards some suitable rule sets!

If you are willing to try 15mm wargaming, you at least have the realistic opportunity to collect several different factions so that you can offer opponents "loaner" forces. For some brilliant inspiration on skirmish wargaming at this scale (with space constraints and on a budget!), I suggest looking through Tiny Solitary Soldiers blog.

Finally, there are a number of boardgames, boardgame/wargame hybrids and "wargame lite" style games that may interest you. Imperial Assault and  Descent (rules free for both on Fantasy Flight's website),  Deadzone 2nd Editon, and the recent GW boardgames (Deathwatch Overkill, Betrayal at Calth, Prospero Burns, and Silver Tower)  are all good examples, but there are loads more. With the GW games I mentioned, you can normally buy the complete game without miniatures in otherwise mint condition for about £15 on ebay (and then buy whatever models you like to use with them).