Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:53:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 699
Total: 706

Recent

Author Topic: What IP would you love to see produced?  (Read 15351 times)

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
Re: What IP would you love to see produced?
« Reply #105 on: October 02, 2016, 10:45:22 AM »
Game of Thrones is one property I wouldn't like to see as a wargame. A little bit because it'd be based on the iffy costumes from the TV show (and I tired of that anyway), but mostly because I think it'd fall prey to officialitis.

This is how I feel about Discworld. Even though I do like some of his renditions, I'm deeply uncomfortable with how Paul Kirby's art has become the quasi-official visualization of Discworld stuff.

I think it's a really bad thing for any literary work when one specific visualization or artist owns the cultural perception like that.

LoTR (and to a much lesser degree ASoIaF) was kind of inoculated by having a robust tradition of lots of different professional artists all doing their own interpretations long before the movies set their version in mainstream pop-culture. But Discworld is super-vulnerable 'cause Kirby got in early and monopolized that side of things almost from the beginning. These days I get the strong vibe that if anyone were to do a different version, lots of fans would complain that it wasn't "right" because it didn't look like Kirby's art, even if it were equally (or more) accurate to the text.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline mrtn

• Scientist
« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2016, 11:03:19 AM »
This is how I feel about Discworld. Even though I do like some of his renditions, I'm deeply uncomfortable with how Paul Kirby's art has become the quasi-official visualization of Discworld stuff.

I think it's a really bad thing for any literary work when one specific visualization or artist owns the cultural perception like that.

LoTR (and to a much lesser degree ASoIaF) was kind of inoculated by having a robust tradition of lots of different professional artists all doing their own interpretations long before the movies set their version in mainstream pop-culture. But Discworld is super-vulnerable 'cause Kirby got in early and monopolized that side of things almost from the beginning. These days I get the strong vibe that if anyone were to do a different version, lots of fans would complain that it wasn't "right" because it didn't look like Kirby's art, even if it were equally (or more) accurate to the text.
That's not something I've thought about, but then most of my first Discworld books, including the lovely FaustEric, was illustrated by Josh Kirby. Kidby is just the new kid on the block. ;)

Offline Old-N-Busted

• Librarian
« Reply #107 on: October 02, 2016, 11:25:25 AM »
The Space Captain Smith novels by Toby Frost.  British stiff upper lip, a pilot who is a retrained sexbot , a pot smoking hippy and a predator like colonial lifeform and thats just the ships crew!. Enemies include giant ants, six foot tall homicidal lemmings, mad cultists and high tec if somewhat thick mercs whats not to like
Well said Agshard we"ve never really liked the Yull have we? vicious buggers-fluffy too. Space Captain Smith Vol 2

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #108 on: October 11, 2016, 03:57:57 AM »
PA/Horseclans by Robert Adams.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +109

Offline digid

• Bookworm
« Reply #109 on: October 11, 2016, 04:56:55 AM »
Mentioned already, but I would be interested in the following in 28mm

Star Wars
Star Trek
Mad Max

Not mentioned

Johny Quest
Planet of the Apes
Escape from New York

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #110 on: October 11, 2016, 06:57:09 AM »

Mad Max

Escape from New York

Hasslefree's got a few of the mains in 28mm, at least (Max, Furiosa, and Snake)

Offline agent_pumpkin

• Bookworm
« Reply #111 on: October 11, 2016, 08:45:52 AM »
Some great ideas posted...

+1 for a good Bladerunner
+1 Dune
+1 Babylon 5 Ground Forces/Skirmish

I'm a big fan of Neal Asher's books and would love miniatures based on his setting of the Polity/Prador War and events afterwards.

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2016, 04:05:25 PM »
A couple of teams (and support crew) from the original 1975 version of Rollerball.

That could be fun, right?

Oh, and David Brin's Uplift novels.
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2016, 04:17:31 PM »
A couple of teams (and support crew) from the original 1975 version of Rollerball.

That could be fun, right?

Jon-a-than! Jon-a-than! Jon-a-than!  8)

Good god yes, that would be awesome on the tabletop.  8)  Just please, not the weak sauce we got for the remake...

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #114 on: October 11, 2016, 04:46:31 PM »
I'd love to see Neal Asher's Polity and Prador realised in miniature form. It would be one of the few things that might really tempt me into Sci-Fi modelling and gaming...
That and proper Dune figures...
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #115 on: October 11, 2016, 05:14:25 PM »
Nothing.

Half the enjoyment/challenge for me is trying to build a project where there isn't an off the shelf option - if something becomes mainstream, I inevitably lose interest in it.

It's much more inspiring to go to a show and see a dozen well-thought out original games, rather than a dozen similar games as everyone has just got the latest flavour the month Kickstarter release or similar.