Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:19:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Inherited a collection and looking to sell some...help?  (Read 1603 times)

Offline bound for glory

• Assistant
Inherited a collection and looking to sell some...help?
« on: September 16, 2016, 06:15:22 PM »
Hello, boys! I'm new, and was advised to post here by a member on TMP.

If I put this in the wrong place, please delete and forgive.

I have inherited a very large collection of 25-28mm figures(metal). My friend bought them over the years and they are very nicely painted. Money was'nt an issue for him.

I will be keeping the figures from the priods I play, but there are many that I just don't need and some of the periods I have no inerest in.

My wife and I run a saturday painting class for the town kids, and we are looking to sell some of the figures to continue to pay for that.

Having said that, what is the best way to sell the figures? We are not looking to get rich, but to dump them on ebay when I don't even know what some of the figures are...I need some help.

Best advice?

There are dark ages figures, romans, american indians ect. I can give pics if anyone wants to see them. Thanks.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Inherited a collection and looking to sell some...help?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 06:49:14 PM »
You probably need to group them into lots of similar stuff. Then take some photos, and hope that someone recognises stuff!! Lots of people on LAF know lots about lots of obscure (and not so obscure) minis.

Once you have an idea of the period and manufacturer it should be easier to sell them for a reasonable price.

Offline bound for glory

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 08:07:01 PM »
Thank you, FRED.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 08:12:02 PM »
Yeah, put some images up here for ones you need help identify and I'm sure the LAF collective will be happy to assist.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 08:39:59 PM »
Where are you based?
LAF members might be able to give advice on pricing (or might be interested in buying)
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline bound for glory

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 10:55:38 PM »
In the us. Pa.

i WILL POST PICTURES. Thanks.

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 04:02:52 AM »
look forward to seeing what you have I live in PA as well.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 04:11:36 PM »
yes post pictures please
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline dbsubashi

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 11:00:00 AM »
Before I give you any advise allow me to give you my resume/CV. I current work in a game store, and I sold on Ebay professionally for a few years. I bought collections and moved them on Ebay, consigment cases, and local cons. So I know abit about this. Depending on the money you want to get, you have several options. While you say you don't want to get rich, there is a difference between market pricing, less than market pricing, and fire sale pricing. Since you are looking to turn the money around and use it to teach kids, I think it may worth the effort to get market prices for them. You will need to find the manufacturer(s). After that, do a search on ebay for similar figures and be sure to check the "sold" box on the menus to the left. This will show you what they have actually sold for, and give you an idea of their value. This research will take a couple of hours, but will ensure you get the most back for your classes. Next up is choosing a venue for selling.

Ebay is the most reliable, as it is always there, sells to most of the world, and is easy to sell on. A downside is the 15-20% commission they charge. But once you get set up and have photos, you can see a return in a week! Be careful about putting too much up at once. Having to pack up more than 20 packages in a day is work. Additionally try not to put up too many of the same item. 5 auctions of "Napoleonic French Grenadiers" will drive down the price on all of them, but selling 1 a week for 5 weeks will get you a much better return.

Gaming stores often have consignment cases, where you can place figures, the store will sell them, and give you either money, store credit or both. Some charge a percentage if you want cash, though if you use the money to buy paints and supplies through them you should get 100% in store credit. The biggest down side is the limited number of customers who will see them, which means it will take longer to sell them. Also in my experience, customers want a better deal in consignment cases. Otherwise they could just buy them on Ebay! Another potential option is to run an auction. I am assuming you inherited this upon your friends death (my condolences for your loss). If you and your friend were regulars at a gaming store, you could work the owner to run either a memorial auction or flea market table(s). This would both you and the local community a chance to remember your friend. The figures would also get used locally, giving local players another reason to remember him. Hedk, you could even set up gaming days were the buyers could bring the figures back and fight battles with them. This could even be turned into a charity event, with playes donating money, buying dice rerolls, etc., and the proceeds going to a favorite charity of your friend. With a little work, this could be a yearly event. I have a friend whose wife runs a yearly Warhammer 40K "Battle for the Boobies" in my store, in memory of her mother who passed from breast cancer. Last time we raised over $1400!

Conventions often have flea markets. They charge a small fee, but no commision. Being in PA, I am sure you are aware of the big cons there. A flea market table at Historicon would net you a large number of customers, with large amounts of cash in their pockets. I have found that convention customers also want a deal, but you could potentially sell the entire collection in a day, sometimes in a few hours! And you have an excuse to attend the con!

You can also sell them here. While not as convenient as Ebay (you will have to do a little more work) there is no commission. And while we are a mighty and vast breed here, it is not as big a customer base as Ebay. That said, I have yet to buy anything from this forum, as by the time I look at a post for selling, everything is gone already! (Stupid west coast time differential!) I have seen entire collections go in a day, usually less than a week. And after you post pics, and we all figure out what you have, you should already have customers!

If you have any questions please ask!