Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:59:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690916
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: When Crassus was consul  (Read 2355 times)

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
When Crassus was consul
« on: October 14, 2016, 10:56:53 AM »
A 'To the Strongest' game.
The Romans unwisely invaded Parthia. We used the 'Time is of the essence' scenario in the book ; the Romans are out in the desert without water.
The 'water' supply was represented simply by the Parthian camp on the other side of the table (I put  a little model oasis in there) - if the Romans could sack the camp, they'd get 9 victory mdeals and win.
But they couldn't just sit around because they would be losing a medal every turn. The Romans also had a camp but it was fortified in usual Roman fashion.
The Romans had 2 commands each with 1 Gallic cavalry, 1 Numidian cavalry, 2 legions, and a third command with 3 legions and two units of light foot (which were wisely left to guard the camp against marauding light horse). The Parthians had 2 commands each with 1 cataphract, 3 horse archers, 2 light foot, and one command with 1 eleite cataphract, 1 cataphract, 3 light horse.

Here's the situation at the start of the game, Romans on the left

The game swung back and forth in a very entertaining manner. At first it all went the Parthian way as the Roman cavalry was overwhelmed (Crassus' son, commanding the left wing, was killed; very historical). Then the Romans' relentless advance started to take its toll; horse archers were forced off table, and the Romans broke through toward the camp. One part of the camp fell. The game teetered on a knife edge as the two commander clashed, but it was Crassus who fell - with the Parthians down to their last victory medal, the Romans broke.
A very entertaining game indeed.

A view of the climax of the battle as the commanders clash
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 03:39:02 PM by SteveBurt »

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
Re: When Crassus was consul
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 03:39:30 PM »
Realised the first image was of the wrong battle! Doh.
Correct image uploaded

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 12:09:50 PM »
Great looking game Steve. I always wanted a parthian army myself but hate painting cavalry, so thats probably not going to happen.

I just had my first TtS game last night. A WOTR solo try out to get acquainted with the rules. I hope to use the rules to play with my son and get him into the hobby with this easygoing ruleset.

Cheers
Erik

Offline Mithridates1

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 01:42:05 AM »
Good looking game thanks - we have tried Carrhae once using Hail Caesar rules on a large and deep table.    The Romans were turned into pin cushions - my cataphracts were always just that too far away for any rash legionary interested in charging!

Must have a look at To the Strongest - not sure about the playing cards??

Garry

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 08:16:56 AM »
A fine looking game indeed.

Mithridates 1, you can use MDF tokens, or what I will be doing, D10's (I like rolling dice) as an alternative.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 10:30:33 AM »
The cards work really well. It's surprising how much time they save; dice often roll off the table, or are cocked, and some folks like to take ages shaking them. Drawing a card is much faster.
You could of course use d10s instead (some folks use cards for activations but roll dice for combat and saves; you need to leave the activation value beside the unit in case it wants to try and activate again. We also turn the cards sideways for all units in a command once an activation is failed as a reminder that they cannot activate again).
I'm planning to make up some business cards printed with roman numerals I, II, .. X (and an image of Trajan's column as the background); I think they will look nicer than the playing cards. Roman numerals also have the advantage over Arabic ones that that are unambiguous even when upside down.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 02:29:56 PM by SteveBurt »

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 05:38:27 AM »
That is a good idea about the business cards; a little smaller than regular cards, they will take up less room on the table.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 10:29:19 AM »
The cards I'm currently using are small (patience sized, about 3" x 2") cards, 6 packs off ebay for £3
But I think the Roman numerals will look better!