Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:51:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Middle east civilians foe Colonial games  (Read 4447 times)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Middle east civilians foe Colonial games
« on: February 09, 2009, 11:02:20 AM »
Sorry if you are getting fed up with this kind of thread but I thought I would post this on this board as well as the open talk.

Anybody interested in helping me get some free stuff. :D
My idea has finally appeared on the Wargames factory site.
So for anybody who needs some Middle East civilians for background in their games have a look at my idea.
Would be suitable for Pulp games, BOB, Colonial, future wars and maybe modern. I am sure someone could fit them into VSF as well.
I imagine they would be good for converting to suit your own period.
You don’t have to put any money down. Just a pledge and you can knock them back at a later date if you don’t like them.

They are in the 19th century section
Middle East civilians
Link
http://www.wargamesfactory.com/league_19thcentury

Only 963 to go
Mind you it has only been on a couple of days and it is up to 4%, so a few people must like the idea.

I have pledged for a further 5. So if they get made I will end up with 75 civilians to make (Just thought this may not be a such a good idea after all :'().

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Middle east civilians foe Colonial games
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 11:32:55 AM »
For future reference it might be best if we stick to just one topic per Liberty and Union League request? Pick the most appropriate board and just post there? Not a problem right now but if lots of people start posting the same topic to loads of boards we are going to end up with a right old mess.

Not having a go at you, Gamer Mac, you're obviously keen to see your idea realised, and there's nothing wrong with that. Just wondering if this might not be a precedent we want to set. I dunno. What does everyone think?
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 12:55:50 PM »
Sorry.
No problem. You can remove it from here if you want.
I was a bit unsure about doing it for the reasons you stated.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 01:02:28 PM »
Don't be sorry, Gamer Mac. It's not a rule or anything. I won't delete it, don't worry.

I just wondered how everyone felt about it as a general idea. It would only become a problem if lots of people start doing it, as may happen if the Liberty and Union thing really takes off.

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 06:59:43 PM »
For future reference it might be best if we stick to just one topic per Liberty and Union League

I'd argue that one is too many. If everyone who put in a request also started a thread the boards would be inundated in no time.

Wargames Factory miniatures are rubbish anyway...  ::)
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 07:37:14 PM »
Not wishing to be grouchy - but since you asked...
Honestly? I'm kinda sick of reading these 'vote for my idea' posts already  :(

Sorry, but I don't rate Wargames Factory's product so far, and I've no reason to think anything that gets produced as a result of this scheme is going to be any better. I'm pretty certain though that 99% of people are never going to see their ideas realised. It's just a marketing gimmick - and it's obviously working. But I hope WF have thought about the backlash when all those desperate to see their particular 'thang' made flesh (well, plastic) end up being disappointed - as most of them inevitably will...

Anyway... Back to the point... Yes Plynkes, personally I think it would be good to place all these sorts of posts in one thread, which those who simply aren't interested don't need to look at.

Gamer Mac, I sincerely hope you get your wish. Really I do.
But I can't vote for something I have no intention of ever buying anyway...
(By the way. The Perry Crusades Muslim civilians are really nice, but I'm guessing you've got them already?)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 07:44:03 PM »
Meninobesta suggested to me that perhaps we go one further than one topic per request, and have a single sticky topic in Workbench where all the Liberty and Union League suggestions go, to keep it all in one place (the same idea as Captain Blood's, basically).

What do folks think of that as a plan? Obviously it would be for Hammers to set up and stickify, as Workbench is his realm (and a mighty realm it is too).

With regards to this particular suggestion, it isn't really something I'd be up for, unless they were very, very nice sculpts. I wouldn't want so many Muslim civilians that I'd really need them in plastic. I'm never going to buy sprues and sprues of them, like I might for a rank-and-file troop type.

But good luck anyway. Hope it works out.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 07:49:02 PM by Plynkes »

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 12:40:20 AM »
Captain Blood
I have not seen any Wargames factory figures in the flesh, so I can’t really rate them myself. But I am prepared to give them a chance and see if they can come up with anything.
I put my idea in because I was looking for some civilians for a Turkish bazaar and I thought plastic would be good for converting to exactly what I want. I had looked at some other ranges, including the Perry ones, but they did not really suit what I had in mind, as I was looking this league started so I thought what the hell. It’s not going to cost me any money to see what they come up with. I agree it is just a marketing ploy but to me it looks like a good one. I am a bit put off now by the length of time it is taking.

As these figures are really only going to be back ground scenery in my games I am not looking for expensive figures no mater how good they look. I would rather spend my hard earned cash on the main players in the game.
I also agree that in all probability my idea will not come to fruition along with the majority of the others but again it is not going to cost anything but a bit of my time.

I think it would be a good idea to place these all in one thread as there appear to be more and more popping up on the various boards of this forum.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 02:04:31 AM »
So far I have a number of 25/28 mm Middle Eastern Civilians from Eureka, Old Glory and Blue Moon Manufacturing. Can't say that I'm fussed about voting for creation of yet more figures when I believe the current ones are adequate.

I do think that a Sticky would be good in the WOrkbench area.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 02:17:31 AM »
I agree with Poiter50, I too have a bunch from Eureka, OG and Blue Moon - unfortunately still part of the lead-mountain though .  Blue Moon will also be putting out an Egyptian civilians box to accompany the new Chaos in Cairo rules later this year.

Good luck with the venture though.  Nothing wrong with plastics.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 08:12:21 AM »
Gamer Mac - I have put in an order for your civilian idea and personally think it is a great request.

I didn't think there would be a problem posting on this forum, this sort of thing. I have always felt this forum a very supporting place - not somewhere people's ideas are shot down in flames. I too believe these plastics may be a great alternative to metal - which we all unfortunately can't afford. And as gamer Mac said it is no great loss to him and he doesn't even have to buy them if he doesn't like the finished figures.

If these requests/advertisements have to be placed in a single thread, then fine, can someone in the know arrange this. How about this idea as well - those people who are tired of reading these sorts of threads should try not reading them - nobody is forcing u to. They are unoffensive and in my opinion very relevant topics for this sort of forum. People who have a desire to see a certain miniature made will obviously try and drum up some support for it, otherwise this idea will never succeed.

Wargames factory - if they succeed - will be an alternative for my "lead" adventures and probably a lot of other people too.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 10:19:22 AM by fsultana »
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 08:13:54 AM »
Ok I agree it would be a good for one thread as these posts are taking over . Hope my post was ok but I would be happy for it to be moved to Workbench under a single heading.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 09:55:01 AM »
I have always felt this forum a very supporting place - not somewhere people ideas are shot down in flames.

Was just responding to the question which was asked. Would people prefer these requests to be gathered in one place? Yes, personally I would. I was at pains to point out my comments were not directed at Gamer Mac or his idea in person.

How about this idea as well - those people who are tired of reading these sorts of threads should try not reading them - nobody is forcing u to.

If the title of posts of this type revealed that it was a bid to enlist support for another suggestion in the WF scheme, people would be able to make that choice.
Unfortunately, the thread title doesn't always oblige.
Which is another good reason to gather all these suggestions together in one place.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 10:04:36 AM »
I'm not trying to shoot anyone down in flames, and I don't want to be discouraging. I was just concerned (with some justification it would seem, judging by others' comments) that members might not appreciate multiple topics regarding the same figure request sprouting up all over the forum, as it might be seen as a kind of spam if it got out of hand.

I'm not laying down the law, just opening it up for discussion for the members to see how we all feel about this, and to try and find some consensus. Nothing I have said should be taken as a rebuke of Gamer Mac. He hasn't done anything wrong.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 10:21:47 AM »
I initially only posted this in the open talk board. And I was unsure about posting it else where because I totally agree it could end up as a load of spam.
Then I noticed that other people had posted their ideas on more relevant boards.
I think the idea of putting a separate thread is the only way to go. Also the thread should be clearly identified as-

“Skin Flints Looking for Cheepo Figures from Wargames Factory” lol

I could open a thread in open talk with this title but how would you let other forum users know that this was the only place to post ideas about the Wargames Factory League?
I don’t think we need to go as far as another board or child board. Do we?