Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:43:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690906
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Suez Crisis 1956 - Help Required  (Read 2610 times)

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity
Suez Crisis 1956 - Help Required
« on: October 24, 2016, 04:24:46 PM »
Just recently, I've considered another of those 'forgotten' End of Empire conflicts, in this case the British, French and Israeli operations in Egypt.

I've been trying to find information on infantry weapons for the forces involved, especially it seems the British troops. I know the Israeli commandos used the Uzi but did the Brits have the SLR on general issue or was it still 'it worked in WW2, so it'll work now'?

Plus, the Egyptians, was it all Soviet kit of the time or something else?

I have the Osprey Essential Histories book but have failed in my search as a member on the website for uniform information.
Remember: the dice are not your friends!

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Suez Crisis 1956 - Help Required
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 04:33:27 PM »
The British were still carrying the Lee Enfield and Bren Gun in Suez, with a few troops armed with the Sterling SMG. Not sure about the Egyptian forces.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 09:29:48 PM »
Just recently, I've considered another of those 'forgotten' End of Empire conflicts, in this case the British, French and Israeli operations in Egypt.

I've been trying to find information on infantry weapons for the forces involved, especially it seems the British troops. I know the Israeli commandos used the Uzi but did the Brits have the SLR on general issue or was it still 'it worked in WW2, so it'll work now'?

Plus, the Egyptians, was it all Soviet kit of the time or something else?

I have the Osprey Essential Histories book but have failed in my search as a member on the website for uniform information.

Brits were as per WW2. Mk4 Rifles, Stens and Brens. The two noticeable changes would be substitution of the 3.5" super bazooka for the PIAT and further up the chain US 106mm RCLs were fielded by AT platoons.

Photos of Egyptian prisoners show most wearing khaki greatcoats over Egyptian  drill uniform, with its oddly shaped field cap. After the initial landings many changed into mufti to snipe at the invaders. Not sure what tin hats were worn. Egypt had a mix, like all of its war material. There are contempiray photos in Sinai and later in Yemen showing US M1 helmets. They also had large supplies of old British tin hats. Remind me later and I'll look for a video showing a parade in Cairo in 1955 which gives you an idea.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 02:49:29 AM »
I belive yoi can also get away with useing Indo-china French for there compliment.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 10:10:34 AM »
The FNG, ex Red Star French paras are perfect for Suez. In 15mm the Eureka ones work just as well.  Wargames Foundry British paras are ideal for the period and with beret and webbing colour changes would work for the Royal Marines. The Egyptians are the tricky part.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 10:16:00 AM »
This is the video I mentioned earlier:

Just be aware that there is another version of the clip that shows footage of the Iraqi army from a little later on. That one is a cracker if you have an interest in Operation Vantage, Britain's ripost to a mooted Iraqi invasion of Kuwait in 1961.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 10:21:58 AM »
Thanks for the video share. I might be wrong but, wouldn't a lot of old British uniforms, kit and weapons still be used?

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 01:08:01 PM »
Funnily enough this report was run just yesterday on the BBC, I think you might find it quite handy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36985325 - "The Suez Emergency, the forgotten war of the conscript soldier"

I've gamed Suez  as a demo game at a show in 20mm using tin hatted and bereted British figs to distinguish between the two sides. This was some years ago and now the plethora of 28mm plastics and some armed 30's civilians means you have a useful range to plunder for conversions.

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 03:45:07 PM »
Under Fire are bringing out some Syrian troops sometime soon, but they probably have kit from a later period.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 04:44:53 PM »
This clip has lots of views of the British forces and the Paras with the M-40 106mm fitted to jeeps and a sequence showing piles of captured weapons.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-army-stands-by
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 04:21:34 PM »
Many thanks for all that information, I'll have to search about for WW2 Italian Front Brits in berets I think but really appreciate all the help.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 04:34:15 PM »
Many thanks for all that information, I'll have to search about for WW2 Italian Front Brits in berets I think but really appreciate all the help.
should work just fine. As long as they are not wearing any shorts that is.  lol

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 04:35:46 PM »
should work just fine. As long as they are not wearing any shorts that is.  lol

Not in the manner of your avatar, I hope.
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 04:40:08 PM »
Not in the manner of your avatar, I hope.
if it worked for the hoof and mouth regiment....

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2016, 03:17:11 PM »
My 15mm ak47 armies are based on Suez. The Brits are a mixture of Skytrex and Peter Pi g paras. Backed up by Centurions, armoured cars and para jeeps all Peter Pig. The French are Eureka French paras with amx13 back up. But also have half tracks and chafees for use in Indochina. The sticking point was always the Egyptians. I use the Peter Pig late war lightly equipped Brits. I just paint the skin a bit darker and give the uniform a lighter colour. They have a mixture of Soviet and British AFVs. I can use them as Indians up to the 60s as well.