Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:27:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Italy represented in the various WWWII games?  (Read 5544 times)

Offline MAJIC Miniatures

• Student
    • MAJIC Miniatures
Italy represented in the various WWWII games?
« on: February 11, 2009, 12:19:11 PM »
The recent topic about Japan has got me thinking about the other major Axis power Italy? To be honest I am a bit stumped. Other than stereotypes like Vatican Hit Squads, relics and the Mafia I can't really think of anything that would make sense?

Has anyone got any other ideas?

Oliver

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Italy represented in the various WWWII games?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 12:32:08 PM »
But Italy joined the Allies at an early stage of the war, September 1943.
Lots of massacres reported. Lots also drowned in the ships carrying them into captivity in prison camps.

So, a small suggestion: zombies!
argsilverson

Offline xeoran

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 01:30:15 PM »
Twig of the Hundred Horses
In Sicily there is a tree 4,000 years old, with the largest girth of any tree in the world. Once it sheltered the Queen of Aragon and her knights, now it shelters the sons of Italy. Twigs of the tree are given to selected soldiers who can hope for the trees protection. Mortars miss, booby traps explode prematurely and bullets fall from the sky. And each time a single leaf drops from the twig.

Umm, that's pretty much it. Italian folklore seems pretty empty. Maybe there is some Roman folklore? The glorious Second Roman Empire etc. Legionnaires, Cults of Mars and Mithras and so forth. Other than that I can only offer the idea of the Sahariana robbing tombs in Egypt and stumbling on more than they thought they'd find...
"'Reality,' sa molesworth 2, 'is so unspeakably sordid it make me shudder.'"- Nigel Molesworth

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 01:43:45 PM »
I always liked the Vodacce (faux-Italian) fate witches from 7th Sea. Something about tweaking probabilities seemed very Italian to me for some reason.

The Vatican can be a much more fertile source of inspiration than just the hit squads – given the number of sects and mystery cults that existed in the past, you can come up with an angle or a reason for pretty much any type of troop type you like:

e.g.
Nephilim
Offspring of an angelic being and an angel, the Nephilim were responsible for giving mankind the secrets of irrigation, agriculture and fire. Deep within the cellars of the Abbey of St. Fulcrum, just outside Rome, the monks of the Order of St. Fulcrum tend to the last remaining Nephilim, who survived the great flood sent to wipe them out, giving them the chance to aid mankind again. Their resistance to supernatural powers and their <other awesome abilities> make them feared foes, more than a match for an armoured division.

You've also got a vast background of Roman myths to play with for inspiration, whether the causes are mystical or scientific:

e.g.
Herculites
Genetically/Mystically enhanced by special researchers for the Vatican/Il Duce, Herculites follow in the footsteps of their mythical namesake, possessing enhanced strength and endurance. They are often used as front line shock troops in assault operations.
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 02:30:33 PM »
May I humbly suggest either snazzy futurist aircraft:

or some 3W2ish variant of the Decima M.A.S., i.e. aquatic power-armoured commandos:

Of course, all marred by the lamentable capacities of Italian industry at the time.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 02:33:23 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Phil_McCrackin

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 04:32:04 PM »
I sort of envisioned Skeletal Roman Legionaries, and walkers that have riveted panels - like VSF meets GearKrieg
Member of the Our Lady of Perpetual Rugged Adventure. On death we will be judged by the triumvirate. Tintin will decide if he would write about us. Indiana Jones, if he would travel with us, and Jesus if our adventures were righteous. Amen.

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 05:17:43 PM »
I'd give the Italian walkers a real art deco flair with long lines and gracious curves. Like a 1930s toaster with legs. Oh, and big feathers/plumes.

I second the Roman skeletal legionaries but they should be less zombie and more like the guardian mummies in the Mummy movie.

Offline Backyardpatrol

• Scientist
  • Prophet of 1/35th scale gaming
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 07:30:49 PM »
Dr. Emilio Lizardo/ Lord John Whorfin completes his over thruster and frees Lectroids from their dimensional prison.
"Home... home is where you wear your hat... I feel so breakup, I wanna go home."

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 09:43:28 PM »
Stalingrad veterans/survivors.
Futurist artists and writers or filmakers.
The republic of Salé extended/evolved.
Mussolini got away and didn't get arrested and shot, but  intsead...?
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 05:40:03 PM »
I guess it all depends on how wierd/sci-fi you want to go.

For post 1945 Italian soldiers along the same lines as those in SOTR how about selecting figures from the Urban War/Void universe (available from Urban Mammoth and Scotia Grendel)  for a distinct Roman legionary look. This pack from Scotia Grendel has a lot of potential (10 figures for £5):

Completed they look something like these (matals from the same manufacturer):

Just replace the guns with something more appropriate and add Roman legionary decals to the shields ....

Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline MAJIC Miniatures

• Student
    • MAJIC Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 07:21:05 PM »
Some good ideas here (especially the Vodacce).

I really like the Urban War/Void Plastic idea suggestion.

Does anyone produce (Italian and Japanese for that matter) Weapons (Rifles, SMGs LMGs and HMGs) seperately in 28mm?

Oliver

Offline xeoran

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 11:14:08 AM »
Love the idea of the Void stuff. Seeing as Italy had pseudo-Stormtroopers in WW1 (the Company of Death) who were armoured assault troops it might be funky to have them as the vanguard of Mussolinis armies. The black uniforms worn by the Company of Death were also a great influence on Mussolini's fascists. It would make sense therefore that with the war going badly and having been rescued by Skorzeny Mussolini nabs Skorzeny and has him begin training of the nucleus for a new Italian army. Taking the toughest, nastiest, most dedicated the whole Company of Death thing is reformed for WW2 with the addition of mock Roman Legionary shields, exploding engineering pilums and gladius pattern bayonets.

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 05:24:50 PM »
....and bullet-proof legionary shields would certainly make these troops interesting on a WWW2 battlefield  ;)

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 05:27:32 PM »
....and bullet-proof legionary shields would certainly make these troops interesting on a WWW2 battlefield  ;)
...WWWII Testudo?  8)
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 02:28:53 PM »
Hi,
in Sicily the mafiosi seemed to help the American invasion. In my www2 game the mob works together with american intelligence to clear Sicily from the zombi menace left behind by the Nazi to slow the Operation Husky. You've got plenty of "partisan" minis to represent them!

Check this out too:

http://www.libon.it/modules/libon/9780760324578.html
Instagram profile: the_mediocre_wargamer