Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:34:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dark Ages and Medieval Livestock?  (Read 6409 times)

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Dark Ages and Medieval Livestock?
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2016, 10:55:52 AM »
I don't think has mentioned Eureka yet?  They have a range of aurochs http://eurekamin.com.au/index.php?cPath=87_126_131
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2016, 01:17:14 PM »
I have those Ertl cows. They are good enough. gave them a wash of gryphon sepia. Miniature is from Black Scorpion (they are big

4ground also sell some oxen.

http://www.4ground.co.uk/camps-carts-and-wagons/28mm-draft-oxen

Cheers,

za

Offline admiraldick

• Librarian
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2016, 04:09:33 PM »
Thanks for the picks Za Zjurman, they don't look half bad considering they are just toys. The scale is good for smaller cattle too.

I don't remember this being mentioned before, but if you are looking for some visual inspiration for actual cattle (for paint jobs and what not) there are several rare breeds organisations out their. The Livestock Conservancy in the US and the Rare Breeds Survival Trust in the UK have good sites (for all farm animals not just cattle).

Seeing the work of organisations such as those highlights the difficulties in tracking the history of farm animals. Until the 18th century no one really took livestock breeds seriously, so records early than that tend to be incidental rather than deliberate. If nothing else they give a general idea of how cattle may or may not looked throughout history. As most people have worked out, they tend to be smaller, thicker set than modern dairy cattle, hairier and have bigger horns. No surprises there.

@Argonor: I can't see why Longhorns painted up the right colour wouldn't be a perfectly acceptable stand in. Make sure you post pictures so that we can see how it goes.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 04:35:43 PM by admiraldick »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2016, 07:53:31 PM »
Don't worry, I hardly ever do anything hobby-ish without doing proper documentation for future reference, and others to comment.

I have a couple other projects at the top of the queue atm (also some Dark Ages related stuff), but I enjoy all the inputs and inspiration, as I am set on expanding my Dark Ages collection with some animals for raiders to steal, so as to widen the scope for both defenders and attackers (it is nice when the defenders are not sure what the attackers will try ti get away with).
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84