Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:59:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 647
Total: 650

Recent

Author Topic: Question about Foundrys Swashbucklers and El dorado  (Read 1648 times)

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
Question about Foundrys Swashbucklers and El dorado
« on: November 25, 2016, 06:22:37 PM »
Hi which figures from these great ranges could you use in the Thirty years war. I know these are a bit of an earlier period, but could they fit the bill.
Ive seen things you people wouldn't believe - Roy Batty.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Question about Foundrys Swashbucklers and El dorado
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 06:50:12 PM »
Hmm eldorado are early 16th century  1520 ish so clothing is too early the odd one with morion helmet might be able to be dropped in from swashbucklers but again too early really owing to the hose and short pants

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 08:47:16 AM »
The green stuff will have to appear.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 09:38:05 AM »
Yeah, the main thing would be the trousers, leggings you would need to make longer and more voluminous

Also some have neck ruffs so you may need to hide those.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 09:52:00 AM »
I really love both of these ranges and, when I wanted to start my TYW collection, I did look at the possibility of basing it around these figures. Sadly I decided that it wouldn't work. This was mainly because the Swashbucklers are big and I didn't think they would look right next to some other figures I wanted to use - particularly the Foundry Musketeer Characters and some of the Perry ECW figures. Height-wise I imagine they might fit in with Bicorne and Renegade ECW figures but I haven't checked. As to clothing style, I suspect one issue will be which part of the TYW you are interested in. Clothing, weaponry and tactics changed during the 30 years of the war. The ECW rages are (for obvious reasons) more suitable for the later TYW. Also I believe that the later battles of the TYW featured a greater proportion of cavalry, and (although I haven't checked) I don't think either of the Swashbuckler or El Dorado ranges feature cavalry. Having said all of that at the moment I'm having a sculptor convert an El Dorado artilleryman which is in a pose I particularly like into a TYW pikeman and the main changes will be to his shoes, his breeches, his hat and he will need a sword. All in all, quite a lot of work which is feasible for a single figure but enormously time consuming (and therefore enormously expensive if you use a professional sculptor as I do) if you are doing this for a large number of figures. A pity because both the Swashbuckler and the El Dorado ranges are wonderful ranges imho. 

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 04:23:03 PM »
I really love both of these ranges and, when I wanted to start my TYW collection, I did look at the possibility of basing it around these figures. Sadly I decided that it wouldn't work. This was mainly because the Swashbucklers are big and I didn't think they would look right next to some other figures I wanted to use - particularly the Foundry Musketeer Characters and some of the Perry ECW figures. Height-wise I imagine they might fit in with Bicorne and Renegade ECW figures but I haven't checked. As to clothing style, I suspect one issue will be which part of the TYW you are interested in. Clothing, weaponry and tactics changed during the 30 years of the war. The ECW rages are (for obvious reasons) more suitable for the later TYW. Also I believe that the later battles of the TYW featured a greater proportion of cavalry, and (although I haven't checked) I don't think either of the Swashbuckler or El Dorado ranges feature cavalry. Having said all of that at the moment I'm having a sculptor convert an El Dorado artilleryman which is in a pose I particularly like into a TYW pikeman and the main changes will be to his shoes, his breeches, his hat and he will need a sword. All in all, quite a lot of work which is feasible for a single figure but enormously time consuming (and therefore enormously expensive if you use a professional sculptor as I do) if you are doing this for a large number of figures. A pity because both the Swashbuckler and the El Dorado ranges are wonderful ranges imho. 
Your right with your observations. I have most the Foundry figures from these ranges which I will paint up and move on.
I've ordered a few TAG reiters and Croats and will use these for my project.
Thanks guys for your time and answers.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 10:20:21 AM »
These figures might prove usefull depending what period of the conflict.

https://www.timelineminiatures.co.uk/store/index.php?page=border-reivers

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 08:00:56 PM »
I echo what most of the other writers have already said - they just won't work.  Most El Dorado figures are in clothing and equpment almost a hundred years earlier than the 30 Years War (1520's for the early Conquistador period; 30 Yrs War begins 1618).  The Swashbucklers are of the Elizabethan era and, while you might find the odd figure or two in a pack which could serve in an early 30 Yrs War unit, most just won't fit).  I would advise looking for figures in the costume of  early-mid 17th century.