Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:16:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Brits in Home Service uniform..?  (Read 6663 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Brits in Home Service uniform..?
« on: February 17, 2009, 08:19:42 AM »
Didn't know where to ask but here:

Who makes some nice ones with 'historical' weaponry?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Brits in Home Service uniform..?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 08:31:43 AM »
Redoubt Enterprises do them in their Victoriana range. They are the most common ones you will see in our VSF games, big tall chunky figures, not to Perry strandard sculpting, but ideal for fun games. They are armed with a Martini Henry rifle.

Ironclad Miniatures have a nice range of them,recent sculpts by Martin Baker armed with a later Lee Metford rifle(I think?)

HLBS did some, but they are no longer available, its debateable whether they will be rereleased.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 08:43:33 AM »
I got a good look at all of the Ironclad home service troops at the weekend. They're very nice, so I'd recommend them. If I were to criticise them at all, it would be that the necks are a little thin, but nothing drastic.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 08:51:52 AM »
Redoubt Enterprises do them in their Victoriana range. They are the most common ones you will see in our VSF games, big tall chunky figures, not to Perry strandard sculpting, but ideal for fun games. They are armed with a Martini Henry rifle.

Ironclad Miniatures have a nice range of them,recent sculpts by Martin Baker armed with a later Lee Metford rifle(I think?)

HLBS did some, but they are no longer available, its debateable whether they will be rereleased.

OK, thanks - I thought the Ironclad ones were more VSF  :)

Regarding HLBS, I just this morning asked Richard Kemp if the Brits are to be picked up by someone else, as he told me, his 28 mm lines are likely to get done (he has several offers). Waiting for the answer, and shall share when it's there  :)

I think a treasure-seeking rogue colonel will make his way to the Carpathians with members of his former regiment (just a lame excuse to get some Brits painted and use them in CIC  ;)   ).

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 08:53:42 AM »
I think a treasure-seeking rogue colonel will make his way to the Carpathians with members of his former regiment (just a lame excuse to get some Brits painted and use them in CIC  ;)   ).

Nice idea, photos of course required in due course :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 09:00:37 AM »
Shall do. Have to get a Vampire coven and a Werewolf pack up and running, first.... am working at the Vampires at the moment.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 09:07:04 AM »
Shall do. Have to get a Vampire coven and a Werewolf pack up and running, first.... am working at the Vampires at the moment.

Luverley stuff ;D

Online JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 09:44:20 AM »
I just noticed the other day that Wessex games do home service Brits too. Their own website is really confusing, but they seem to be available through Lon at Brigade.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 09:46:39 AM »
I just noticed the other day that Wessex games do home service Brits too. Their own website is really confusing, but they seem to be available through Lon at Brigade.

Aahh I had forgotten those. Bullshott has some photos of them on his Displaced page. I am not keen on them myself, the helmet in my opinion just looks very wrong, but its all a matter of personal taste. You can still get them through Wessex games.

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 12:25:06 PM »
Just to throw another one in the pot RAFM have some figs with spiked helmets under their Riel Rebellion range (abouth 2/3rds down the page):

http://www.rafm.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RAF&Category_Code=RR

Don't!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 01:30:02 PM »
Just to throw another one in the pot RAFM have some figs with spiked helmets under their Riel Rebellion range (abouth 2/3rds down the page):

http://www.rafm.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RAF&Category_Code=RR

Quite nice, too - best for large units (all the same pose). Pardon my ignorance, but what is the Riel Rebellion (never heard of it)??

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 02:15:51 PM »

Quite nice, too - best for large units (all the same pose). Pardon my ignorance, but what is the Riel Rebellion (never heard of it)??

A nice little war! Irish Fenians and Metis indians against the British Empire (canadians). Invaded Canada just after ACW (tip just few ACW soldiers and some Indians against redcoats). Alas the RCMP still had their Kitchener caps!
A jolly small colourful adventure: you can have ACW Union soldiers, Fenians if you want in green, canadian in red/blue, RCMP (remember no Stetsons), highlanders etc. Nice peculiar flags, also. Probably our canadian fellow LAFers have more to add.

Beware! usually the RAFM minis are 25mm, just little smaller than the normal height of miniatures of today!

argsilverson

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 03:49:05 PM »
Interesting, thanks!  :)

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 05:41:52 PM »
The Fenian invasions and the Riel rebellion are actually seperate conflicts occuring in Canada during the Victorian period.

The Fenians were Irish with mixed goals - either a new Irish homeland or hold Canada hostage for Irish freedom at home. Twice they tried to invade Canada with no lasting effect other than spurring the British possessions in North America to unite for common protection from the nasty Americans.

The Riel rebellion was the most spectacular of a series of conflicts between native tribes and their mixed blood French speaking Metis allies and the British government.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 06:45:55 PM »
The Fenian invasions and the Riel rebellion are actually seperate conflicts occuring in Canada during the Victorian period.

The Fenians were Irish with mixed goals - either a new Irish homeland or hold Canada hostage for Irish freedom at home. Twice they tried to invade Canada with no lasting effect other than spurring the British possessions in North America to unite for common protection from the nasty Americans.

The Riel rebellion was the most spectacular of a series of conflicts between native tribes and their mixed blood French speaking Metis allies and the British government.

Thanks for that Cory. I was wondering when Riel got together with the Fenians!

Louis Riel was actually a very interesting Victorian character. He was a gifted and inspiring leader who was plagued with mental illness (he thought that he was a prophet)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Riel

RAFM makes a figure of him and his inner circle in their Riel Rebellion line. Unfortunatley they are true 25mm. A great unique VSF opportunity for someone.....