Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:15:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689759
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 730
Total: 734

Recent

Author Topic: Another Netflix movie - Spectral  (Read 2542 times)

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
Another Netflix movie - Spectral
« on: December 13, 2016, 02:31:47 PM »
Just saw this one on Netflix:

The story isn't that great but in terms of visuals...lots of inspiration for near-future gear, specially in the final part, when it goes into full sci-fi mode with some very futuristic weapons and uniforms.

But a word of warning - be prepared to see Eastern European vehicles turned into US vehicles - airplanes (I think they may be Mig-21 with a rebuilt front, without the intake) and tanks (can't even identify the tank but someone calls it a M1 Abrams...which plainly it isn't).

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
Re: Another Netflix movie - Spectral
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 05:27:29 PM »
 I have watched it twice already.I do like it and the FX are very good.A nice weird war type thing going on.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 09:11:16 PM »
I got a kick out of it. Wasn't expecting more than a popcorn movie, for sure. I'll watch it again at some point tho.

Nameless Eastern European city, I figured those tanks were T-72s. Certainly not Abrams. Major gaffe there.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 10:15:32 PM »
Definitely more than the sum of its parts - a perfectly enjoyable SF action film!

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 10:27:38 PM »
trailer has me tempted, thanks for the heads up  :)

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 11:03:03 PM »
I got a kick out of it. Wasn't expecting more than a popcorn movie, for sure. I'll watch it again at some point tho.

Nameless Eastern European city, I figured those tanks were T-72s. Certainly not Abrams. Major gaffe there.

It was filmed in Budapest, the capital of Hungary. It's strange seeing a familiar city in a film like this.

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 11:06:31 PM »
I wasn't going to comment... but felt I had to.

We watched this on Sunday, albeit it hungover, definitely didn't enjoy it. Unusual premise, was pretty hopeful for it, but in the end there was nothing unique, new or surprising about it. Just my opinion though, others may love it :D

Cheers
Andy

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 02:18:08 AM »
And here's some photos of the movie:

Loved their APCs  :D

Offline Cambra

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 11:45:03 AM »
A nice movie to see while painting. The weapons and gear in the end of the movie were cool.

The tanks used look like a t-55, but i don't recall they calling the tanks m1, i believe they say, "those are ours".

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 01:24:40 PM »
A nice movie to see while painting. The weapons and gear in the end of the movie were cool.

The tanks used look like a t-55, but i don't recall they calling the tanks m1, i believe they say, "those are ours".

The scientist calls them M1 Abrams and says that the ghosts couldn't penetrate their ceramic armour ;)

Offline Cambra

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2016, 02:11:58 PM »
My bad! i forgot that part, only tought about the fight in the square

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2016, 07:00:07 PM »
I watched this the other night.  Good cast, excellent production values and a terribly uninteresting plot/story.  The quality of the film itself was very high.  Some great gadgetry/techno-geek stuff and really cool equipment gear.

***Possible spoiler***

I've found, with a lot of films that I am NEVER inspired or intrigued by a bad guy which is a ghost, dust, swarm (nano swarms, etc.).  It's the most unimaginative, boring, who-cares bad guy that seems to be showing up in more and more films.  In this film it isn't spooky, it's just...boring.  It completely loses my interest.  I enjoyed the idea behind it (at the end, etc.) but for a conflict it was really uninspiring - there's nothing "cool" or "interesting" about a bad guy you can't see or hurt, particularly in an action film.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 07:35:17 PM »
I don't know what y'all were complaining about.  It's a perfect wargamer's movie.  Plot was thin and cliche but acceptable.  It moved so fast that you could buy that the guys were cut off from outside help and also made sense that they were the last ones there, everyone else having fallen back.

Not that this matters as it was just a lot of fun.  No worries that the tanks and aircraft were old Soviet stuff.  It was fine for a movie.  Those have cast-iron turrets, there was little need to mention the Abrams and ceramic.

I liked how the ghosts moved and how they kept banging against the tanks, not able to get in but still beating them up. 

I would have liked to have seen more of the "mad science" revealed at the end, though I guess keeping it mysterious made sense as the characters only understood the basics.

I hope there is a sequel, one with more plot, no need for more CG fireworks.

Really horrible science.  Great modern pulp.  Fantastic for making minis and gaming.