Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:03:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Alien: Covenant - new trailer  (Read 2643 times)

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
Alien: Covenant - new trailer
« on: December 25, 2016, 12:41:45 PM »
Happy Christmas to everyone, from our favorite xenomorph:

I must confess I hated "Prometheus" and this trailer just leaves me cold, it looks the same  >:( Fingers crossed, hoping further trailers bring more Aliens.

Offline capthugeca

• Mad Scientist
  • “Life is too important to take seriously.”
    • Ten Mil Wargames
Re: Alien: Covenant - new trailer
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 01:06:56 PM »
I must confess I hated "Prometheus" and this trailer just leaves me cold, it looks the same.

Me too.

They should have stopped at Aliens. Time to move on.
I don\'t know whether to be a good example or a horrible warning.

Offline KONNOC

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 05:42:23 PM »
I don't know about you but it looks to me like a great opportunity for Prodos to get onboard and run another Aliens based Kickstarter!!!  lol
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 05:44:22 PM by KONNOC »

Offline ShortscaleDave

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 07:32:42 PM »
Despised Prometheus for many many reasons, not least it put the brakes on Guillermo Del Toro's Mountains of Madness adaption. And now "black goo" (le sigh) is a part of canon. Arse. Bunch of arse.  This new trailer is packed with intertextual references which is ALWAYS a red flag in my experience.   I wish to Crom that Hollywood would cut that ethic right out. It's tired, lazy, creatively bankrupt, and cheap psychological trick.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 06:45:22 AM »
So I see somebody stepping on a spore pod and then an ominous, near microscopic something or other float toward an unprotected ear.

Prometheus flashbacks! Are not a good thing! At all!

Lack of Noomi Rapace is concerning. This movie needs to apologize for Prometheus by

(1) offering insight rather than pretension

(2) allowing smart characters to be smart; and

(3) meaningfully connecting to Alien (1979).

Trailer promises none of this, except teasing (3) ...

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 10:19:51 AM »
Meh. Not happy at all with this trailer. How much bs must the alien franchise endure before it is put to rest...AvP, AvP2 and Pometheus have done it for me. This doesnt look like its going to change but rather make it worse. Why another Prequel?

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 10:40:03 AM »
That trailer looked cheerful, didn't it?...  ;D

A big NOPE from me... Hopefully a book with the useful technical images from the film will become avaialable at some point (new dropships, vehicles, ships and weapons).

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 12:47:21 PM »
My buddies called me a spoilsport when I mentioned I felt I was looking at a reshoot of the previous movie (which I didn't like), as they all seem to love it. Good to know I'm not alone in this.
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 01:04:29 PM »
I'm not sure what it is exactly, some people saying its a prequel and others are saying its a totally different storyline altogether. Either way I'm intrigued but it'll probably be just another Aliens film (which I don't mind, its another thing to sit down and watch and see what cool spaceships/horrors they bring into the genre).

If it really is supposed to be a sequal to Prometheus then I'm a bit worried. I liked Prometheus, it actually brought something to the universe, for me its biggest issue was it created more questions than it answered and then wasn't followed through with soon afterwards. If this is supposed to be a follow on then it looks like its gone a million miles away from where Prometheus left off.

I heard that a film was in the making which was going to be following the Comics (leaving off from Aliens, and ignoring 3 and 4 which were a bit meh) and that was going to be directed by the same guy who did Elysium and District Nine. I really loved the Comic and would have loved another 1-2 films that kept reasonably within that stories spectrum.

This seems too much of a diversion from that. Which lets be frank, was always the worst issue when it came to Predator and Aliens in the longrun; there was never this final goal the movies were supposed to lead to, it just developed into a series of Sci-Fi/Horror flicks with numerous directors and no continuity, they never accomodated the others and was only ever vaguely linked to them.

So whilst I will give this a gander and may even enjoy it for what it is, it feels like they could be wasting time, but I'll wait until I've seen the Film before I pass judgement.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2016, 02:12:03 PM »
I was pretty disappointed with Prometheus (particularly considering the director, I had great expectations).  Oddly when I saw this trailer I thought the same thing - it just looks like more Prometheus...and that's not a good thing.

I'll see it, because even if it's bad...it'll be better than 90% of other things on TV/film now days, but I have very low expectations.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2016, 02:20:03 PM »
The only reason that Prometheus was disappointing for me was all the HUGE inconsistencies. People that are shit scared of everything one minute, but in the face of terrifying cobra like aliens go "awww, that's cute!" or when a million tonne spaceship is rolling toward them they don't just step to the side!!! WTF,

Prometheus had major potential. A good story arc(minus the loopholes!) Maybe this will be Prometheus done right?

I agree, there's worrying signs though in that trailer! Alien dust?!? :o

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2016, 03:09:50 PM »
From what I understand this is the first of three sequels that bridge the gap between Prometheus and Alien. It doesn't look to be anything mind blowing in my mind but it doesn't look awful either but I don't expect much from the Alien franchise these days.

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2016, 03:36:01 PM »
Alien remake. Blade Runner remake. Star Wars remake. Seems like the suits in a Hollywood don't want to risk anything on a new idea any more.i give this one a 90 % chance of blowing chunks. I'd be happy to be proved wrong however...

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2016, 03:51:39 PM »
But, let's be honest...how many Hollywood productions (which are original) are really good?   lol  I think you get 90% chance of blowing chunks, remake or not. 

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2016, 08:42:43 PM »
The only reason that Prometheus was disappointing for me was all the HUGE inconsistencies. People that are shit scared of everything one minute, but in the face of terrifying cobra like aliens go "awww, that's cute!" or when a million tonne spaceship is rolling toward them they don't just step to the side!!! WTF,

Prometheus had major potential. A good story arc(minus the loopholes!) Maybe this will be Prometheus done right?

I agree, there's worrying signs though in that trailer! Alien dust?!? :o
I think the problem with Ridley Scott is, that he always make more material and releases the whole story after a while in director cuts and final version. So we will See the best and understandable version in some years as final extra director cut. Some off-cutter scenes are on the blue-ray...
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/