Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:17:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691087
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Firefly/Serenity Crew(s)  (Read 5500 times)

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
Re: Firefly/Serenity Crew(s)
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 01:57:23 PM »

I have this one and was going to repaint it as a Simon.  Never got around to it.  I also have the Blackwater Gulch crew.  They are smaller than expected.  I didn't like their Shepherd, but bought them nonetheless.  I think I paid around $20-25 in store sometime last year.  Honestly, I've never gotten around to doing much with them, and thought about tossing them on eBay because they seem pretty small compared to my other figures.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 02:15:59 PM »
dwbullock, I agree with you.  That Heroclix sculpt has the best Simon outfit I have found.  In fact I used it as my Simon when I did my crew made up of Reaper figures because I couldn't find a Reaper figure that I liked for Simon.  The only problem with that sculpt is the head because the figure has a beard so I cut the head off an replaced it with the head of the Heroclix figure RIP Hunter.  You can see the result in the picture (second picture) of my Reaper version of the Serenity crew.  My Simon is the taller figure between Kaylee and River in the dark suit.  The difference between your figure selection and mine is that Heroclix makes another character using the same figure with the suit painted blue and the hair and beard blond, and they name that figure Spartoi Elite.  I paid 50 cents for Spartoi Elite and 25 cents for RIP Hunter.  I got lucky.

Offline IDeeDee

• Lurker
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 08:44:41 AM »
Hi. Am working on a similar project... Figures so far are a mixture of Heretic, Hasslefree (whom I love) , Blackwater Gulch & Reaper... (I have two models for River: 1 in "killer" mode, in the pic, and one in "flaky" mode.. Both Hasslefree).  Not 100% happy with my Inara (other model in progress) & Wash (too cowboy-like), but we're getting there.

The rules are a work in progress - so far using me old Space Hulk tiles & variants of Zombicide character cards. Will be printing/adapting a Web-nicked good ship Firefly plan this month.

Am using converted Manic ghouls (plus some old GW "scavengers" still on the paint-line) as Reavers (will venture into some Sgt. Major space cannibals if/when the £ recovers), ex-Colonial Marines as Purple Bellies (should be finished this week) and misc. cowboy/minion types for other missions. Would love a good "Badger" figure...

PS.  Also have an unarmed "Book", for when he aint shooting knees.... :)

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 08:50:49 AM by IDeeDee »

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 04:13:30 PM »
I just started down this road too! Tbh I'm not a massive fan of the heresy stuff - too cartoony for my taste. I have the blackwater gulch crew, a couple of reaper and the rebel minis purple bellies on the way. Still can't find a Wash -  any suggestions?

My Blog: http://returntologansworld.blogspot.com.au/
Empire of the Dead, Strange Aeons, Old-School Fantasy and Rogue Trader, 15mm ATZ

Offline IDeeDee

• Lurker
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 05:14:15 PM »
@The Baron.  I know what you mean about the Heresy ones... They look better on the gaming table than as just "pics" I think.

The "Mal" & "Kaylee" figs I painted up are stop-gaps at the moment.  I do like the Blackwater Gulch mechanic lady, as a fig. - but she's maybe a tad too tall and a mite too, um, sexy (?) for Kaylee I thought (I got maybe a bit too hung up on the relative heights...).

Wash is a problem.  The Reaper figure "War In 15mm" used might do - but I'd have to put a shirt on him (call me old fashioned...). Not too difficult at this scale I suppose.
Believe it or not I even considered converting "Phil" from the Zombicide pack.. I may end up converting someone at some stage, but at the moment I'm progressing the project  to the playtesting stage & finishing off the "villains"....

The sometimes random scale issue in "28mm" is a bit of a pain I find (even worse than in 1/72) for this kind of project... You find a perfect figure, but they end up being huge - or too small.  Not always a major problem when it comes to generic folks - people do vary considerably heightwise- but when you are talking named characters from a series etc. it's a nuisance...
My Purple Bellies are BIG guys compared to the Firefly crew- but I can justify that in my head as they are military (chosen for height & heft)... However, I bought a bunch of very nice armed crew-type guys for villain minions in baseball type caps in the summer and they all turned out to be about 5'4", relative to the Firefly mob, so a bit titchy for the European-style heavies they were bought for....  I had a related problem with one of the potential Inaras; great figure and character, but when she arrived she was about 7' tall  - towering over even the Heresy Mal....  (She'll end up some kind of troublesome "Madam" at some stage I think - and the minion lads as an ethnic group with a different average height....).

Still, one shouldn't really carp.. There are a LOT of figures out there.... :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 11:10:40 AM by IDeeDee »

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2017, 07:03:11 AM »
There's also the Exodus Wars "Wayward Eight" crew which might work for a steampunky-sci-fi version of them (...not to mention that they are clearly based on the Serenity crew anyway!)
They look nice enough in the piccies (and were I to do a not-Serenity crew I'd be seriously considering them) but if 28mm is the order of the day then they may be too far off the scale.

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 12:49:47 PM »
They look nice enough in the piccies (and were I to do a not-Serenity crew I'd be seriously considering them) but if 28mm is the order of the day then they may be too far off

And there is the problem I think - I seriously considered de-steampunking the models, but then every other model would also have to be from that range in order to fit. Great models but man that scale is a killer. I think depending on the size of the rebel minis purple bellies. If they are too big for blackwater gulch then maybe I will get a set. There are some seriously cool hard plastic minis in that range ehich I had never seen before.

@The Baron.  I know what you mean about the Heresy ones... They look better on the gaming table than as just "pics" I think.

I had a related problem with one of the potential Inaras; great figure and character, but when she arrived she was about 7' tall  - towering over even the Heresy Mal....  (She'll end up some kind of troublesome "Madam" at some stage I think - and the minion lads as an ethnic group with a different average height....).

Still, one shouldn't really carp.. There are a LOT of figures out there.... :)

Exactly! I love digging through many ranges to find suitable minis. I may have a line on a suitable Inara and will post when I receive her. Zoe also needs consideration - I don't want her to be too ahem chesty but I think I found one too.

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 12:58:54 PM »
my take on the WWX Exodus Captain and 1st Officer:
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 03:51:27 PM »
With the WWX minis put on a thinner base (as Agis has done) the size difference isn't nearly as jarring - something like the Renedra flat discs.

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2017, 09:58:12 AM »
I think the solution is clear... We need to commission a sculptor to KS a specific not-Serenity crew!! :D :D :D

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2017, 01:46:48 PM »
I was speaking to the bloke from studio miniatures at Targe in October and he was saying sci fi was their planned thing this year, with a specific mention for Firefly.
Theyre the guys who do the not Holy Grail figures so it should be well worth waiting for. And a good chance of a wild west cinema range too by the sound of it.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2017, 08:33:00 PM »
I think the solution is clear... We need to commission a sculptor to KS a specific not-Serenity crew!! :D :D :D

Depending on who sculpted them, I'd definitely be interested!  :-*