Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 05:05:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691275
  • Total Topics: 118383
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: BSC 2017 Scratch Hawk - Trodden on! Haha.  (Read 6095 times)

Offline Bergil

• Mad Scientist
  • Toy maker
BSC 2017 Scratch Hawk - Trodden on! Haha.
« on: January 04, 2017, 03:20:57 PM »
So yeah uh, I was really keen to get started on this BSC. Was just going to do something simple that I could fit in between my other work. To that end I'd already claimed that fag packets would be used and that's still the case.

The moment the theme was announced I knew what I wanted. A 1/100 scale thunderhawk gunship for my space knights though changed a bit of course due to the limitations of fag packetry. Did some calculations to see if a 1/72 M113 would fit into my fag flyer, it would. Also did some calcs to work out how big the engines would need to be in order to lift both the flyer and its cargo but soon threw that out the window. They'd be super future engines after all and physics and aerodynamics could go do one.

But yes I was so keen that within a couple of hours the body of it was done before I read the further entry that we could not start until the build until the 8th or whatever. I got things going on tho such as looking after a mentally disturbed and ill mother whilst also packing up the house to move her to a new place and doing my own work and well everything else. You forgive me right? Just needed something enjoyable and easy to mess around with.  :)

Anyway, enough trying to elicit sympathy from random internet people, wot I did so far;

This is kinda what I wanted;

This is what I started out with;

Then it just sorta grew from that, no real plans or anything.

I shall stop now and be miserable until the 8th or whatever.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 03:16:16 PM by Bergil »

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
Re: BSC 2017 Fag Flyer
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 08:39:59 AM »
nice start !
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 09:48:46 AM »
When you said fag packet I thought you meant built to the size of a packet
I have never thought of using fag packets to build something

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 10:02:45 AM »
I hope you're not damaging your health just to take part in the contest! ;)

Offline Bergil

• Mad Scientist
  • Toy maker
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 02:29:36 PM »
nice start !

Cheers!

When you said fag packet I thought you meant built to the size of a packet
I have never thought of using fag packets to build something

Well it's now the size of several fag packets :)

But you know, it was just one of those instantaneous moments of inspiration.

I hope you're not damaging your health just to take part in the contest! ;)

Don't worry, I rarely have more than a few for the kick they give throughout the day. Mostly use the vape.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 02:40:04 PM »
I rarely have more than a few for the kick they give throughout the day. Mostly use the vape.

Are you saving the vape to use as the engines....?

;)

Offline Bergil

• Mad Scientist
  • Toy maker
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 02:46:24 PM »
Are you saving the vape to use as the engines....?

;)

:o

No, but that's a cool idea.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 06:42:59 PM »
A very novel material source  lol

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Bergil

• Mad Scientist
  • Toy maker
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 10:03:18 PM »
Time for the engines.

To stay in theme with the Fag Flyer aspect of it all I'm using vape bottles and vape boxes as the engines.

Cut out the bottom of the bottles, then cut a circle in the bottom of the bottle to act as an engine cowling.

I'd needed to raise my engine blades up off of the main body of the engine block so used a bit of filter tip cut to size.

Engine blades were cut from cardboard fag paper :) First of all I cut in between where the blades would be, greenstuffed the inner part and stretched that out onto the blades so they had a bit of strength when I came to twist them. Otherwise they'd just fall off.

Stuck the engine cowling that I'd cut out of the bottles earlier over the blades.

Then stuck both of the engines onto the body of the fag flyer.

That'll do for now.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 10:26:52 PM »
Smoking.

;)

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 01:02:08 AM »
Smoking.

;)

lol

Only comment one could make
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 10:58:51 AM »
 :-*

Offline Bergil

• Mad Scientist
  • Toy maker
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 07:12:09 AM »
with the cost of lung torpedos here being near $30 a pack you would be better off buying the bloody thing from GW than smoking your way to a model!

I used to say stuff like "Smoking is a bit like boxing, you need to make a come back every now and then" and other such nonsense. The heart attack at 42 sucked all the fun out of that past time.

I'd like to make it very clear I do not wish for people to start smoking in order to build one of these, totally not. My mother was a heavy smoker and we got some rather nasty news yesterday and the smoking may well have had something to do with it.  :'(

Use healthy cereal boxes, vitamin boxes, etc. Fag boxes were used as I saved them as trays for putting job lots of 15mm figures I'm chucking greenstuff onto.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 10:00:35 AM »
Great work on the engines
If anybody needs empty fag packets let me know, I usually just throw them in the bin

Offline Bergil

• Mad Scientist
  • Toy maker
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 11:22:14 PM »
Right, been really busy lately so instead of stage by stage photos I've just stuck stuff onto this thing as and when I could. Though I did get a few shots of drawing out wings and such so you can see how I did it.

I used juice carton tabs for the feet/landing things. Thought I'd taken a photo of them seperately but that seems to have dissapeared! They just used a couple of metal MG tripods bent into place and super glued to buggery to make sure they're strong.

For the gun emplacement on the top of the fag flyer the gun shield was some plasticard just bent a bit and glued into place. The gun itself is a pen nib, with the inside of it poked out and reinserted in the reverse manner to create the cannon. I also had some spare screws so they were used those on top of the gun empacement, makes it look pretty secure.

Whilst most of the 'raised' details are just cardboard cut out and just stuck on to represent control surfaces or raised armour plates I have used the odd bit of commercial product to add detail. (Most of which donated by OverevvedSquat)

In no particular order;

1. Old plastic rhino bulldozer blades as thruster housing under the wings.

2. Old plastic rhino doors for the cabin doors. They open up in front of the engines, which amuses me greatly.

3. A metal GW tank aerial and some random games foot/base as a comms unit at the back.

4. Random tank exhausts as control surfaces.

5 Random GW tank thing for the back door. Saved me cutting out more cardboard and getting superglue everywhere.

6. Space marine bike shield to stick onto the top of the gun. I was desperate to stick it somewhere. Well, just desperate in general really.

That's about it.

I realize it's a rough build, but that's fine by me. It may well have been in service for 10,000 years and this things seen alot in that time. Ramming ships, tanks, planets and the like it was designed with its own survival in mind rather than the crews. Just retrieve it, strap it/weld it together again and off it goes. You can hose the crew remains out too if you have the time.

There's a tiny bit left to do, a cap to go onto the central part of the fan blades, a rim for the lights on the ends of the wings/tail and trimming some greenstuff off. But it's pretty much done.