Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:41:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 1/72 Greek fantasy figures finished  (Read 18139 times)

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
1/72 Greek fantasy figures finished
« on: January 06, 2017, 04:31:37 AM »
Hi guys

Firstly these will be converted, repainted and based, please read on.

So I succumbed to the long fought off temptation to start a 1/72 Fantasy project, I need another project like a hole in the head (I have 28mm Fantasy and a very large 15mm Fantasy collection already) but I just love converting, and the conversion possibilities in the 1/72 plastic ranges are just to good to pass up.
Having limited funds, I will keep this project limited to small skirmish sized forces, so to start with I have ordered 3 boxes of Dark Alliance figs, (modern Amazon infantry, Cimmurian infantry and half orc infantry) 1 Caesar minis adventurers box, and a Caesar Greek hoplites box (I will do a separate post as to why hoplites later)
While waiting for these to arrive I went searching for figs I already own that could be pressganged into this project, and found some perfect halflings, these are 15mm Essex medieval figures, they are already sculpted a little chubby, so will work well, I will add some green stuff details (pot bellies, maybe bare feet if I have the skill) then re paint them, thinking of a green/yellow scheme, not sure how I should base these, I'm thinking that I would like to do this project with individual bases, but that I may do the halflings 4 to a base, with some characters individually based, the plastic German is there for scale, all thoughts/comments welcome.
More pics here
http://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com.au/2017/01/172-hafling-army.html
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 10:07:15 AM by Gunner Dunbar »

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
Re: Gunners 1/72 Fantasy project
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 07:08:58 AM »
 Looking forward to seeing how your project goes.

The Dark Alliance range has some nice figures in it.I have most of them.The Mounted Modern Amazon set is very bad as the riders just dont fit onto the mounts.They could have been a great set but it will take quite a bit of work to get them sorted for riding.

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 11:31:00 PM »
I've only got the infantry Amazons (still in the post) which I will use more as female characters than a force on its own, I may get the mounted ones more for the mounts than riders, those dinosaurs would make good dark elf mounts, we will see.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 09:14:50 AM »
 The mounts from the Amazon set are really nice pieces it is just a shame the riders dont fit onto them easily.

There are also Trolls out from Dark Alliance now with more sets on the way.

The Cimmarian sets are nice and usefull sets to have.

Ceasar miniatures have also recently released a second set of Orc's and there Lizardmen and Ratmen are both good sets too.

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 01:46:36 AM »
Hi guys

I have been toying with this in my mind for a while, was tossing up whether to do it in 15mm or 28mm, and finally settled on 1/72nd plastics, I imagine this group is on a quest from their far off island Hellenistic civilisation to find a lost magical item and have vowed to not return until they find it, they have been wandering the world (D&D/Warhammer type world rather than classical Greek mythology type world) for a decade or more, their traditional clothing/body armour has worn down and been replaced by local stuff, but they proudly hang onto their shields and helms.
Figs used, Dasrk allience Cimmerian set 2, and Modern Amazons set 1 bodies, Caesar Miniatures Greek Warriors heads and shields.
I still need to clean the figs up a bit, add some more green stuff detail and tart the bases up, these will be used in a cold climate setting like frostgrave, thinking of also doing a Norse warband using the same Cimmerians converted with Viking heads/shields.
More pics here
http://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com.au/2017/01/172nd-grecian-fantasy-adventurerswar.html

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
Re: Gunners 1/72 Fantasy project, Grecian Warband 11/01
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 07:09:33 PM »
 Lever modifications. I also have the set, but currently am a bit intimidated by all the flash and the soft plastic.

How did you tackle that and how do you prime them?

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 12:15:58 PM »
Just trimmed with a hobby blade, undercoated in cheap black spray paint, no issues, they look very good just in undercoat, it pulls them together nicely.

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 11:30:25 AM »
Hi guys

So after finishing the conversion work on my fantasy Greek Hoplites (shield decals arrived today, so will be painting them soon) I decided to work on some chaos warrior conversions, I wanted a group of at least 10 heavily armoured warriors (I will also do lighter chaos marauders) so here are 10 warriors and a standard bearer, will now work on a champion, want to make him a little larger than the rest, these aren't quite finished, want to swap out some of the weapons, and clean up some area, they're not perfect, but they will do, all comments welcome.
more pics here
http://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com.au/2017/01/172nd-chaos-warriors-wip.html

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
Re: 1/72 Chaos warriors
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 09:17:41 AM »
Hi guys

I've nearly finished my chaos champion, he was originally the standard bearer from the dark alliance half orc set, I cut him in half and added 2mm to his height, I'm thinking of removing his hair and making him a baldy, I swapped out the standard for a head, and changed his orc sword to an axe, not the best pic, but what do you think? should I make any changes?
More pic here
http://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com.au/2017/01/172-chaos-champion-wip.html

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
Re: 1/72 Chaos champion
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 12:13:22 AM »
Hi guys

(note: this battle group will be auctioned of when finished, all proceeds will be donated to feeding the homeless in Jesus's name)

These have a lot of work to be done before painting can start, they are the start of a High elf battle group, which will consist of 6 Cav, 10 spear, 10 swords, 10 archers, and 1 each of champion/general, standard barer, musician, and mage.
Still need to add an armoured skirt, helm plumes, bow and quiver, neck armour on some horses, shoulder armour, swords, shields, lances and pennants.
I'm thinking of painting them white and light turquoise similar to my 15mm eldar conversions, but going with a really light turquoise.
Base figures used were Zvezda Napoleonic Russian guard cossacks, and Caesar Greek heads.
All comments welcome. 
More pics here
http://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com.au/2017/02/172-high-elf-cav-wip-conversions.html

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
Re: 1/72 High Elf Cav WIP conversions
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 01:23:18 AM »
Hi guys

These still have a bit of work to be done, gauntlets, bow and quiver, lance and pennant, and a plume on the horses head, the pics are blown up double size, so the imperfections stand out, they are not that bad in person.
How do the shields look? they are only tacked on so can be changed, do they look Elven enough? also looking at adding some detail to the leaders helm, maybe some dragon wings? all comments welcome.
More pics here
http://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com.au/2017/02/172-elven-cavalry-wip-2.html

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
Re: 1/72 High Elf Cav WIP conversions part 2
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 08:35:23 AM »
Hi guys

Well, as with most of my threads on LAF, this one is being ignored, not sure why, most other forums I get some interaction with other members, but I will persist for a while longer.

(note: this battle group will be auctioned of when finished, all proceeds will be donated to feeding the homeless in Jesus's name)(note: this battle group will be auctioned of when finished, all proceeds will be donated to feeding the homeless in Jesus's name)

OK, so I have changed the shields (much better I feel) and added the last bits of details, just need to add feathers to the arrows, add a couple of lances, then base, I will mount the lance pennants after painting the figure, how are the new shields? all comments welcome.
More pics here
http://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com.au/2017/02/final-configuration-172-high-elf-cav.html

« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 09:16:25 AM by Gunner Dunbar »

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Final configuration 1/72 High Elf Cav
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 10:43:00 AM »
They're a bit special - and are going to paint up nicely I think.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 11:30:35 AM »
Thanks, started working on a small command group on foot tonight.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2017, 11:32:41 AM »
 Very nice work on these pieces.

Shame you could not get them cast.