Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:18:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686621
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Let it snow, let it snow...  (Read 1283 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Let it snow, let it snow...
« on: January 09, 2017, 09:05:23 AM »
To celebrate the fact that we actually had some snow here this weekend, I decided to dig out some Evil Snowmen miniatures I bought in the bazaar some time ago.

I figured they would be easy to paint and obviously they were; white undercoat, with white touch-ups, then a very thin light blue wash, followed by a heavy white drybrush of white and finally some touching up with the light blue in certain areas to create some heavier shading.

The wood (I painted the claws as such too) were a simple coat of US Olive green, with a wash of thinned black paint and a drybrush with a lighter green shade.

The top hat was painted with a midnight blue, shaded with black and then given a highlight with flat blue.

The scarf was painted with red and green, and then shaded with a very thin wash of black paint. I might go back and put some sharper highlights on it though, as it's a bit (too?) dark at the moment.

The coal buttons and eyes were painted a dark grey, given a shade with black and a small highlight with white.

The carrot noses were painted with hot orange, then shaded with a 50/50 mix of hot orange and dark grey and highlighted with a 33/33/33 mix of hot orange, white and stone grey.

The snow on the bases is simply fine sand from a building site, painted in exactly the same way as the snowmen.

They were fun to paint and were done in a single sitting last night (about 3 hours or so), after prepping them the evening before (moldline removal, basing and undercoating).

I didn't have any specific purpose for them, but I suppose I'll find a way to use them in Frostgrave somehow... ;)

+++EDIT+++ One more thing; they seem a bit yellowish and grayish in spots in the picture, but that's a trick of the lighting and my phone-camera; they're quite blueish white in real life...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 09:31:04 AM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: Let it snow, let it snow...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 09:13:25 AM »
Nice! Good snow effect on them.
And last weekend's snow sucked hard...prevented me from playing Chrome Warriors! But instead 4 games of Kingdom Death was also epic ;)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 03:51:19 PM »

The snow here was pretty negligible really. It was just 1cm or so, and it fell on a melting sheet of ice, which caused it to freeze up immediately, resulting in something that looked like snow, but really was a layer of very brittle ice.

The little one wanted a sleigh ride, but after one round around the block I called it quits as the sleigh was just about striking sparks from the pavement... lol

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 05:35:53 PM »
Pretty sweet, dude.
The snow looks pretty good indeed.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Online LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 12:03:33 AM »
Hahaha the Dutchies unite  lol

I like the outcome a lot, may use your recipe when I finally get these guys  :D
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)