Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 12:22:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691330
  • Total Topics: 118386
  • Online Today: 628
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Walking Dead - Days Gone Bye Expansion Review  (Read 1629 times)

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
Walking Dead - Days Gone Bye Expansion Review
« on: January 09, 2017, 05:41:45 PM »

http://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/the-walking-dead-days-gone-bye.html

Hi,

Last month I reviewed the base set of Mantics new Walking Dead Miniatures game, suitably impressed with that I have gone back for more adding this expansion set to my collection.

It's a great addition with 6 more figures, game cards, terrain, scenarios etc a really nice add on to the starter box.

I have gone through the full contents on t'blog for those who are interested. For the eagle eyed I have primed the figures black before taking the photos, they come in a dark grey hard plastic.

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer
"Glittering prizes and endless compromises,  shatter the illusion of integrity"
http://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.co.uk

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
Re: Walking Dead - Days Gone Bye Expansion Review
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 08:43:01 PM »
I got that as part of 'wave 1' of the KS, and was REALLY disappointed that the scenarios called for figures we didn't get. 

Other than that, it is a cool expansion.
Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 09:15:42 PM »
That is a pretty shady business. 

Who is it that you don't get that the scenarios call for?

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 09:22:23 PM »
I haven't got the box to hand but recall the first game needs Morgan and Duane who are a separate booster.

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 09:55:17 PM »
I don't have this yet, but I think I read somewhere that it calls for Glen as well. And Glen is not coming out until wave 2 which is about 5 months away! I am still waiting on my local store to receive my order for this expansion and the wave one boosters.

Offline aiteal

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 10:13:11 PM »
yeah, the scenarios do 'need' the Morgan booster, the Shane Booster, the Carol booster, the Lori booster, the Andrea booster and the as yet unavailable Glenn miniature, as well as assorted other survivors but points values are provided so you can play them with any minis you like, at current best prices that's another 75 quid or so.

Whether or not the scenario depicting something like the Rick Shane showdown or even the city run with zombie gut covered clothing that is designed for Rick and Glenn have the same attraction with other minis is another matter. Fundamentally, I think the lack  of character cards for those guys would annoy me more.

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 02:21:24 AM »
Cheers for clearing that up aiteal, I just don't have the book to hand at the moment.

I agree that you could use alternative points totalled Survivors and I think the scenarios could have been set out that way. After many years of gaming setting up my own scenarios isn't a problem, I do it nearly all the time for other games. It is a small quibble in an otherwise great game, we all know it's designed for you to get the other boosters, Mantic are a business after all.

Price wise the cheapest I have seen the boosters is £10.79 each from Wayland and if you buy enough to do all the scenarios I can pretty much guarantee free postage  !

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 06:11:52 AM »
Thanks for the report.  I like those models and look forward to the set coming around where I am.  Cost on the core set felt like decent value for a licensed property so I don't feel too hard done by about the tie ins.  Honestly after the first set I think it was my intention to go all in so I'm OK with it even if it flubs the pacing up.

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 09:37:25 AM »
Every scenario in the expansion comes with alternative forces - generally a points limit so you can choose your own participants. This is probably because they couldn't release every character from the story in time for the expansion release, and if they'd put them all in the box the expansion would have cost more than the core game.

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 07:14:55 PM »
Scenarios also need Rick On Horse booster to get the correct Rick card.

And yes, you can use points, but that really decreases the utility of providing a narrative scenario (and linked narrative campaign) if you can't use the damned characters the narrative calls for.   

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:17:12 PM by CptJake »

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 07:26:54 PM »
On the Mantic web store they have a bundle with days gone by,  Morgan and Rick on horse boosters so I'll probably pick that up next.