Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:14:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Congo Info/News  (Read 1241 times)

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
Congo Info/News
« on: January 11, 2017, 06:16:56 PM »
Phoned to inquire about the 'renegade askari' pack pictured on the wargames foundry site for Darkest Africa, was informed by the chap at the other end(suddenly can't remember his name) who said the pack may be re-released, possibly as either part of a new pack or as purchasable at some future Congo-Themed Event, possibly around March.

He also told me a few tit-bits about the new expansion book, (bear with me if any of this is old news) a campaign system, with troops getting permanently killed/replaced, new scenarios and rules for plenty of new animals including hippos if i  not mistaken, and apparently the campaign would span the length (chronologically) of the period (presumably he means exploratory period).

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
Re: Congo Info/News
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 10:51:05 AM »
Very interesting!  It sounds as though you may have been talking to the ever helpful Darren.  Did he give any idea of likely timing for the expansion?  The wait for the rule book seemed interminable at times, and I dare say there will be delays before the expansion is eventually released, but I am willing to have my hopes raised if you know the target date!

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 10:59:59 AM »
He talked about a big event in March...but given how delayed the first book was...

Offline summsi

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 12:23:55 PM »
I could not find renegade askari on the foundry web site. Where are they?

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 01:23:38 PM »
A pic near the bottom of the Belgian page.

Offline summsi

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 01:31:49 PM »
Found it! Thank you.

Offline Drunkendwarf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 02:03:29 PM »
A pic near the bottom of the Belgian page.

Aren't they some of the miniatures you  got for free when you ordered a "collection" years ago ? That would be great :D I only have the one with sword and pistol. Even better if they re-released the fellow with the umbrella (fingers crossed).

DJ

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 05:10:08 PM »
I hadn't realised they were rare. I have the sword and pistol chap and the Askari with the parasol as well as the native carrying the big umbrella, but have never seen the other two.  The fellow carrying the rifle across his front would be worth adding, but I suspect Foundry would only sell them as a set if they do get around to releasing them.

Aren't there also some musket armed Azande in nappies and tribal headgear which feature in the box set but aren't available elsewhere?

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 05:17:40 PM »
Kommando_J  - I am keeping my fingers crossed for a campaign with a bit more meat to it (not literally, I am no cannibal!) and hoping it won't be just a set of linked scenarios. 

What I would like to see is the existing rules used as the basis for an exploration type campaign, which would allow choices of direction for one player (say the White Man expedition) and generate random encounters with natives and other factions over multiple game days. I realise that would leave the second player playing whatever opposition the expedition encountered, which might not fit easily into the game's 1 vs 1 format, so I may be wishing for the moon.  I would certainly buy it though, if anyone from Studio Tomahawk is reading this!   

Offline philhendry

• Scientist
    • My Wargaming Website
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 06:28:25 PM »
Aren't there also some musket armed Azande in nappies and tribal headgear which feature in the box set but aren't available elsewhere?
There are some Azande as you describe in the Copplestone range, available from North Star.