Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:29:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689635
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A walk in the woods..a Muskets and Tomahawks battle report (of sorts)  (Read 2607 times)

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
Well, I have finally stumbled into another area of the forum..a long admired one!

A few months back I had a game of This Hallowed Ground with my good friend and FIW devotee Craig. His collection of figures is superb and we bashed out a pretty good game. Nice set of rules and it played well. This time we gave Muskets and Tomahawks a go. Being a Sword and the Flame fan, I have a lot of time for the card based sequencing. It makes for interesting and sometimes humorous results.

Being a visual gamer, I passed a comment about the flat felt areas with scattered conifers denoting dense forest and Craig challenged me to come up with some true scale trees. So I did my best. A few viewings of Last of the Mohicans and a walking trip in Nz through some very beautiful (mostly beech) forests gave me some inspiration.

Anyway, the idea for this post started as a battle report but as the game progressed and the scalping stopped temporarily for the odd Pale Ale, I lost track of taking photos and only have a few from here and there.

Forces were:
French
1 officer
1 unit marines (irregulars)
2 units provincials
1 unit indians

British
1 officer
1 unit regulars
1 unit provincials
2 units militia

The scenario was a simple head to head, with the aim being to capture the high ground (the church) and the buildings if possible. Mainly though it was just a chance to give the rules a first bashing. So here are some pics:

I'll try to get some more pics up soon. Result of the battle was a total rout for the British, who played well but the dice were really against them. Once they lost one large unit to the Indians in the woods they were playing a defensive game. The game came to a close as the French provincials closed in on the church and viscous hand to hand fighting left not a single King's soldier alive to tell the tale.

Thanks for reading!
TJG

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: A walk in the woods..a Muskets and Tomahawks battle report (of sorts)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 02:22:08 PM »
I am glad to hear that the 2 of you are still gaming. I drove through Fremantle recently and both of your names came to mind. Nice looking game.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline michaelsbagley

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 02:41:52 PM »
Great looking game....

Your terrain fixtures are seriously amazing looking. The texturing you did on the ground and the trees you've used are some of the best Ihave seen.
If I knew who the evil genius was, I wouldn't need a diabolical plot to find him...

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 03:17:40 PM »
Lovely stuff, the terrain tiles are lovely, not sure about the green boards ;) lol
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 04:09:21 PM »
superb, the groundwork is outstanding really cheers me up to see excellent work ;-
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 04:12:46 PM »
Those tree bases are superb.

How did you find the rules?

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 04:21:20 PM »
The table is fantastic. How did you make your trees?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 05:26:51 PM »
Have to agree, the pieces of scenery are really top-notch and beautifully done. Ditto the church. The trees, the groundwork - outstanding.

Alas - it feels all a bit for naught on that plain light green base  :'( :'( :'(

Please make something textured and ground coloured to go under your gorgeous scenery! (A mat would do it, if you don't have the storage space for boards... )

But really - beautiful work on the scenery.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 12:57:41 AM »
Hi tjg
The tree trunks are very impressive, how did you make them. I have been wondering about using real trees, I cut some the other day they look quite natural  lol lol but I think will be too brittle especially when dry.

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 01:35:19 AM »
The trees are fantastic.  Nice photos.
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 09:17:11 AM »
Lovely stuff, the terrain tiles are lovely, not sure about the green boards ;) lol

I hear you..unfortunately having carted the lot up to the club on a 38 degree day I didn't fancy taking the terrain boards too...but must invest in a good mat or something.

Those tree bases are superb.

How did you find the rules?

Thankyou. The rules were quick to pick up and narrative driven. A little Hollywood which I like. Once I'd garnered the fact that on drawing a card of a unit type ALL of that type of unit could do something...that made a big difference.

The table is fantastic. How did you make your trees?

Cheers. It's a bit of an involved process. Takes about a day to do a tree. I'll do a tute up on Workbench at some point if people would like. Mostly they are dowel, 3 different thicknesses of wire, hot melt glue, acrylic adhesive and a few other bits. I don't use real tree material except for the fallen scatter.

Thanks for all the kind comments. Here are a few more close ups:

cheers!

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 01:06:19 PM »
Gorgeous!

Offline ipushleadaround

• Student
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 02:55:51 PM »
Hey Pete! Hope that you're happy, healthy and not throwing your usual crap dice:) Thanks for thinking of us. From time to time I'll fondly recall you guys at PMGG and how nice it might be to find the time get down there again for a game. If the club's reconvened after Xmas and assuming that you'll have me on the premises :) I'll make a point of dropping in to say hello to you all at some point in the next few weeks.

C

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 03:05:43 PM »
I take it that is CA? Yes, healthy although a tad more poor after Turnbull's pension cuts.
1 Feb is first Wed back and you can see some of our new table mats which sort out the problem of the painted but bare tables you had/have.

Contemplating using SP2 for FIW but have been gathering Naps after all these years.

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 08:15:43 PM »
Those woods are brilliant! :o

Christopher