Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:37:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pontoon Wagon conversion using WB cart 1  (Read 793 times)

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
Pontoon Wagon conversion using WB cart 1
« on: February 10, 2017, 11:37:26 AM »
I've wanted to add a pontoon train to my SYW collection for several years but the cost of white metal pontoon bridges, not to mention accompanying wagons, for something very much 'once in a blue moon' has always kept them slightly out of reach.

I've been hoping to see an MDF bridge and wagons, even suggesting it to Martin at War Bases last year, but to no avail - Martin's to do list is already enormous.

So, I decided to have a crack at converting one of the War Bases wagons myself. The result came out quite well, and I'll add another wagon, plus bridge bits over the next month or two. Here's what I came up with; all pretty simple stuff - I hope you like it.

Details, links, etc.

http://olicanalad.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/generic-pontoon-wagon.html

James

Offline PAULSPENCE

• Scientist
Re: Pontoon Wagon conversion using WB cart 1
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 02:31:03 PM »
Bonjour James,

Very impressive indeed.

I hear what you say about shying away from buying them "ready-made" but I probably will cave-in this year as the Perry and the Westfalia (now Black Hussar) ones are so very nice too.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
Re: Pontoon Wagon conversion using WB cart 1
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 03:05:35 PM »
I have not seen the Black Hussar one but I have seen the Perry one. I was very impressed.

As said, though, pontoon trains are very much 'blue moon' purchase - you know you want one, you know you need one, but you don't know (outside of a single scenario, some possible campaign usages, and to add to general baggage) that you'll actually use it very much. I just couldn't justify the purchase when so much more useful shiny stuff is on the shopping list. If a good MDF one was on offer, given it generally brings the cost down by 50% more people would probably have one.