Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 06:14:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696043
  • Total Topics: 118736
  • Online Today: 409
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Lichen- Hints and tips  (Read 1033 times)

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
Lichen- Hints and tips
« on: February 16, 2017, 11:50:56 AM »
Helloooooo,

I've never used lichen before, although I've just picked up a bag. I've seen it used very well on a number of peoples builds. I know this is a basic question but I was wondering if anyone could give advice for using i?. What I can do with it, glues to use, and just general hints and tips. (This question comes from the fact that some builds use it very well and others just plonk it on the table. While it probably is perfectly adequate for this- I don't particularly enjoy the aesthetics of it.) 

Cheers
Andy

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
Re: Lichen- Hints and tips
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 12:46:09 PM »
Helloooooo,
I've never used lichen before, although I've just picked up a bag. I've seen it used very well on a number of peoples builds. I know this is a basic question but I was wondering if anyone could give advice for using i?. What I can do with it, glues to use, and just general hints and tips. (This question comes from the fact that some builds use it very well and others just plonk it on the table. While it probably is perfectly adequate for this- I don't particularly enjoy the aesthetics of it.) 
Cheers
Andy
PVA or wood glue works well for your adhesives question.  One issue that you can experience is the lichen drying out and crumbling over time.  I generally scatter it like most folks. 
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 03:44:40 PM »
I find to secure it well with pva needs a huge glob of it, which takes ages to dry and then isn't necessarily too reliable.

Try hot glue gun instead! Dry and secure in seconds!
It can leave visible 'lumps' of clear hard glue, but if a problem they can easily just be flocked over.

Lichen is one if the simplest things for terrain making, and still looks great I think. Just placing clumps of it down can't really be beat for bushes / scrub, and it can be used to fill up gaps between trees and such. I like to mix it with large pieces of clump foliage.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 10:47:21 AM »
If you're worried about it drying and crumbling, spray it with thinned down PVA glue first, or (even better) let thin superglue run all over it (carefully, 'branch' by 'branch', or you'll end up with just a huge glob of moss permanently glued to your desk. Trust me on that one ::) ).

This will preserve it for many generations to come...  :D

An added advantage of this approach is that it will then be easily paintable too!
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!