Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 01:31:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696302
  • Total Topics: 118756
  • Online Today: 465
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Napoleon at War (rules) - would love thoughts and insights  (Read 995 times)

Offline Draccan

• Student
Napoleon at War (rules) - would love thoughts and insights
« on: March 04, 2017, 01:56:10 PM »
Was planning to play NAPOLEON AT WAR with 20mm Newline Russians (literally on the verge of jumping into it with a big order), but a trusted source told me that the game has some problems. I would like some more friendly thoughts and perspective about this game.
Some of the concerns listed was:
* Poor balance between lists
* Russians don't function so well.
* Reserve rules are poorly thought out
* Shooting before assault is too strong/punitive
* Equal size force gives too much advantage to defenders.

I realize some of this could be house ruled. But what do you guys think about the game in it's current state (I know it is presently coming under new management)…? What are the pros and cons. How playable is the game and is it fairly balanced?
If you play often, then why do you do that and why do you keep coming back to it?

Would love some more perspective…….. :-)

Offline james

• Bookworm
Re: Napoleon at War (rules) - would love thoughts and insights
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 02:24:16 PM »
I have played the game once, have all the books and currently building a few 18mm armies. I also play Blackpowder which I enjoy and play a great deal in 28mm. Also play Blucher which is great as well. Right..Napoleon at War my  last purchase was Liepsig the online version and it still has not been completed yet to my knowledge. The Game I played i enjoyed. I played with a person who had been playing the rules for a long time. The game is longer then Black powder but a little less reliant on dice. A bit more complex in terms of strategy , also because of scale there is more room for maneuver ...a part of wargaming which i enjoy.  Have a look at Blucher on  you tube and see if you like the game play..think its a better game. hope this helps

Offline Draccan

• Student
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 05:54:21 PM »
Thanks James! Appreciate your input!

Here is another comment I read about Russians:

"Bayonet is a fine fellow vs Elan – Both 30 pts, big difference
Sttubborn – Not really a bonus
Fire is fickle – totally crippling shooting possibilities

So you have an over priced unit, that can only assault, but probably never will because of only one skirmisher (heavy Hth casualties)"

Sounds problematic...no?

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 06:47:37 PM »
We tried it for one and a bit games....the bit because we thought the first time was so disappointing we must have done something wrong......we didn't, although the rulebook is so badly written it would be easy to do so
 :-[

NaW is only designed for tournament equal point encounter  type games. It cannot be used to fight battles from the Napoleonic Wars, putting historical forces on the table does not work, either in structure or balance.

The army lists and formations are badly thought out and troops seem to get abilities and attributes almost at random, as if the designers had a cool idea and had to find a way of jamming it into the game.
To make an "army" (Roughly Division sized) you have to field totally implausible combinations of Infantry and Cavalry. You get a generic game using Napoleonic shaped soldiers, not a Napoleonic Battle.
It is FOW for Napoleonics.

We found no redeeming factors at all in the rules  BUT the figures are superb 18mm sculpts and casts.

If you want to play "Napoleonics" at this sort of level look instead at Lasalle, General de Brigade, Shako 2 or Rank and File, any of which (Lasalle especialy) will give you a very good game.

Offline Draccan

• Student
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 09:18:45 PM »

Thanks for input Robh

Offline William Bath

• Lurker
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 06:11:05 AM »
robh, I would have to disagree with you comments. Individual battalions have been costed so you could put together any formation, corp size or bigger. Rules play quiet easily but perhaps you are comparing them against your preferred set.

As for the rules being written badly I have to disagree again. The rules were written in Spanish and translated into english. It is obvious that some of the translation didn't go well. Another thing this is the first version and compare the first version of your current rules to what they are now. GdB is into it 2nd or 3rd version and still players are having trouble, just check their forum.

I can pick holes in other rule as well or say that they are written badly. NaW is under new management with a 2nd version being put together now.