Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:20:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: pulp vehicles  (Read 1544 times)

Offline raykey

• Student
pulp vehicles
« on: March 05, 2017, 11:43:26 AM »
just getting into pulp need some guidance re 1930s vehicles ie where do I get them. I've got the trucks etc for gangsters from great escape but need later era as well

Online shadowbeast

• Scientist
Re: pulp vehicles
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 02:24:23 PM »
What scale are those Great Escape cars? Calling them 28mm etc. doesn't help much, as some manufacturers have come out and said that such measurements are now more like sayings than information.
At any rate, the only later vehicles I can think of right now are RAFMs CoC Classic miniatures roadster; certain special collectible Hot Wheels offered in unusual sizes, often with annoying low-profile wheels and redwall tyres; or various 1/43 diecasts, which to me look too big but many swear by them as they use rules based on the assumption that the character represented by the figure can't duck, simply because the figure can't.
These are the most accessible:
http://www.amercom-hobby.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=64
Although, I have not tried to order any yet, having only bought them when the range was available over the counter in Australia.
No gel ball ban in WA! http://chng.it/pcKk9qKcVN

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 02:35:02 PM »
Sloppy Jalopy do a great range of Interwar Vehicles.

http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/28mm-Wargames-Figures/Sloppy-Jalopy
Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Major Thomas Foolery
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 04:13:50 PM »
If you're looking for 30"s era vehicle, I'd look on eBay for old Lledo "Days Gone" or Matchbox "Yesteryear" vehicles. They are nominally 1/43, but tend to follow the scaled to fit in the box system, so you can look for ones that look right.   I've got some pics of my collection against a scale grid and with some figures here if it helps:

https://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/search/label/Diecast?m=0
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 06:34:25 PM by joekano »
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room." -President Merkin Muffley
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 04:21:30 PM »
Search for Solido L'Age D'Or, a line of models of world class cars from the 20's & 30's.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 05:02:21 PM »
Or more generally, go to the "Diecast & Vehicles" section of ebay (under Toys & Games") and search for the vehicle type you want.  Then use the "scale" tick box on the left to narrow down to a size you want (it is always worth clicking to get the dialog box showing all available scales to see what your options are).  Some sellers don't bother listing a scale or size, annoyingly enough.

Even then, many manufacturers and sellers get the scale wrong, so ask for a measurement of the model's (not the box's) length or width, if it isn't given.  Then get the length/width of the real thing from Wikipedia and check if the scale really is right for you.
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 01:56:16 AM »
Steve F gives great advice above. I've bought a lot of 1:43 scale diecast vehicles from the 1910's, 20's, and 30's on eBay recently. I'm most happy with diecast vehicles from Solido & Eligor (France) and Rio & Brumm (Italy), though some Matchbox models are also good.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 03:17:41 AM »
Yes, that's similar to what I wound up doing myself, working on a car-by car basis to get ones I liked and which I felt were well-scaled to my minis.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline GarrisonMiniatures

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 01:34:07 PM »
Lledo actually did several listed scales. They're readily available in the UK on both ebay and in secondhand/antique/charity shops. They're also well detailed and cheap.  You can't really go wrong with them.