Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:05:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686482
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Best 20mm Panzer IV for Normandy  (Read 2020 times)

Offline PAULSPENCE

• Scientist
Best 20mm Panzer IV for Normandy
« on: March 09, 2017, 10:38:17 AM »
Bonjour Chaps,

I need some more of these after my interest in 20mm WW2 was rekindled last weekend at a wonderful Rapid Fire game at the Wargames Holiday Centre.

Loads of choice but which ones to go for?

I'm lazy and don't like spending money but I thought that I could get some of the rather wonderful Dragon diecast to start with and then bulk-up with some cheaper alternatives but with so many to choose from wargames manufacturers can anyone tell me why they prefer any in particular e.g. Britannia, Rapid Fire, Armourfast etc?

Cheers,

Paul

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
Re: Best 20mm Panzer IV for Normandy
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 10:41:56 AM »
Any 1/72nd scale stuff should be cheaper and easy to get hold of.
The Armourfast I have used in the past. very basic, but good for building large amounts quickly.

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 12:17:08 AM »
I'll stick to my Plastic Soldier Company ones anyday for a fast build, spruced up with bit from various other manufacturers and a couple or RB brass barrels
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline Tim

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 03:13:24 PM »
I'll stick to my Plastic Soldier Company ones anyday for a fast build, spruced up with bit from various other manufacturers and a couple or RB brass barrels

Indeed, the muzzle brakes on the PSC models are ridiculously large. 

I'd personally recommend any of the Dragon pre-paints.  Other than the PSC Pz IVs which I really don't like at all except as an F1, for which it is very good (apologies to Gunbird - though I note you mention sprucing up - for H models, I've scrapped off the right side turret front port, a number of things on the turret top, the signal ports on the driver and co-driver hatches, the ports on the turret sides, and replaced the commander hatch - even then if you are anal like I am, the turret roof is the wrong shape :)  ), I don't have any experience with other fast builds. 

If you have the time and if you enjoy modelling, I cannot endorse at least one model of the Revell Panzer IV H enough.  It does have nearly 200 parts IIRC, including link and length track.  :D
--
Tim

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 06:46:11 PM »
Other than the PSC Pz IVs which I really don't like at all except as an F1, for which it is very good (apologies to Gunbird - though I note you mention sprucing up )

No need to apolagise :) , we all have our favorites, and I use other kits and plasticcard to make the same changes you do. Granted, the Panzer IV from PSC has it's flaws, but it's a product of the start of the company and it seves it's purpose as being a low cost alternative to higher end kits not neccesarily meant for wargaming.