Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:32:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690911
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Argonor's Sports Extravaganzas  (Read 1945 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Argonor's Sports Extravaganzas
« on: March 11, 2017, 10:45:45 PM »
Well, time for another thread, as I have now ventured into the madness that is Association Football simulation, in the guise of Striker.

The game plays like a wargame, with set movement rates, and rolling dice for any actions involving the ball.

I use an old Subbuteo set for the game, and I have played a bit today, making a lot of errors, but slowly getting to grips with the rules, and how to work them to get the ball into a scoring positon.

I think the rules are of medium complexity (by today's standards, compared to games like SAGA, God of Battles, Pulp Alley, Strange Aeons, DreadBall, and so on) - I shall need to play some games to fully get to grips with them. I solo played maybe half a half today, and made a lot of errors - the learning curve is somewhat steep, and the rules, obviously a labour of love by the author, himself a football coach, are not perfectly structured in this, their first incarnation, although reasonably digestible.

I would have liked tables showing available actions (I am making some myself), and flowcharts/schemes showing the possible outcomes and consequences of the various actions, instead of the 'prose' explanations, but I shall probably also make some of those myself... later.

As mentioned, I played a bit today

AAR with lots of pics of the test game on my blog.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 04:57:41 PM by Argonor »
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Fuzzywuzzieswiflasers

• Scientist
    • Little lead men of valour
Re: Argonor's Sports Extravaganzas
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 11:29:34 AM »
Blog link?   ;)

Cheers Fuzzy
Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly
down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red
Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture,
torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals.
Blackadder 4

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 04:37:52 PM »
It's in the small globe (www-icon) under my avatar.  :)

Otherwise: http://argonor-wargames.blogspot.dk/

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 09:15:04 PM »
Started a game with my youngest daughter earlier today.

More about this tense situation on my blog!

I like the rules better and better for each sequence played.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 10:36:03 PM »
You're making it harder and harder to control my butterfly! Excellent stuff.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 11:21:15 PM »

This one was a no-brainer for me, as soon as I realized I could just use my old Subbuteo stuff, so absolutely no purchases (or painting, other than the ball, when I get around to it) needed, apart from the rules.

For those without one, starter sets with all you need (except the model ball) can be had for less than £40
( http://www.subbuteoworld.co.uk/subbuteo-sets/new-starter/ )

I think my daughter really enjoyed the game today, and I am getting her her favourite team for her birthday (March 28th - it should arrive just in time!), as an 'extra' present.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 08:13:54 PM »
Lea and I continued our first match today

A few pics and comments on my blog

Offline werekake

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 11:33:22 PM »
Nice reports on the game - thankyou! Looks like the subbuteo set work nicely for the game - and it's especially nice that your daughter is enjoying the game as well. I have two kids who might be interested in playing this - a Subbuteo set/team each might be the go for them.

I like the idea of a sequence tracker... I wonder if there is an app on a phone that could work well for this?... maybe a fitness tracker or something (I used something similar to track my walk/run ratios years ago).

Part of the promo of the game from the designer is that he uses the game to teach kids about soccer - maybe positioning and passing? Do you reckon this is the case?

Offline ivor13

• Scientist
    • Saturday Mornings 13
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 02:36:47 AM »
Awesome!
Look at all the love footy is getting right now  lol

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 05:32:36 AM »
You should look into obedience class for your butterfly then.:-)

Grimm

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 09:24:13 AM »
Well I have a tribe of Maori to paint. When I get them done, I think I'm going to get a team or two (the wife's Brazilian - maybe recreate the teams from 8 July 2014... I'm sure she'll love that).

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 12:19:08 PM »
Nice reports on the game - thankyou! Looks like the subbuteo set work nicely for the game - and it's especially nice that your daughter is enjoying the game as well. I have two kids who might be interested in playing this - a Subbuteo set/team each might be the go for them.

Subbuteo is the easy (and probably cheapest) way to go - just make sure you get a set of extra unpainted players to divide between the two teams, to bring the teams up to recommended size (16, I think).

I like the idea of a sequence tracker... I wonder if there is an app on a phone that could work well for this?... maybe a fitness tracker or something (I used something similar to track my walk/run ratios years ago).

I just drew a table in Open Office Writer, 2 rows, one for 4:2 and one for 4:3 sequences, cells numbered from 1 to 30 (1 half), to tick off. I could laminate it and use a whiteboard marker for tracking.

Part of the promo of the game from the designer is that he uses the game to teach kids about soccer - maybe positioning and passing? Do you reckon this is the case?

You can learn a lot about real football from playing the game - how it is important that players keep their positions, how it is to important to 'mark' your opponents to make it difficult to pass the ball between them, why it is a good idea to make short passes instead of kick-and-run (the game even has a mechanic allowing you to draw opponents forward by good use of tiki-taka passing), why it is a good idea to have a 'sweeper' or 'libero' behind your defending line (if a defender looses a tackle challenge, he is moved behind the opponent, so that the striker may now have an opportunity to go for the goal), how to 'run in the space' to receive passes... Probably a lot more.

Well I have a tribe of Maori to paint. When I get them done, I think I'm going to get a team or two (the wife's Brazilian - maybe recreate the teams from 8 July 2014... I'm sure she'll love that).

Tribal? Or Maori Wars?

Awesome!
Look at all the love footy is getting right now  lol

The game is really lots of fun. Somewhat steep learning curve (you very quickly need to use most of the ruleset), but after a few games, the basics are easily remembered. So easy to learn, medium difficulty to master I think. And just like the real thing, no two games will ever be the same - when you have the full recommended number of players, you can adjust tactics by substituting players for other designated positions (a defender for a striker, for instance, if you want to defend a lead).