Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:58:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690904
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dracula's America.  (Read 58834 times)

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Dracula's America.
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2017, 01:50:52 PM »
That movie made a biiiiig impression on me as a kid.  It is still a hoot to watch.

-Michael

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2017, 02:49:05 PM »
;)

Everybody knows that vampires, skinwalkers (werewolves) and dinosaur wranglers are a historical heritage of the Wild West, as shown in this 1969 documentary:

Oh that looks really BAD... lol
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2017, 11:19:52 PM »
One of my faves from my childhood, but then my idea of a perfect Saturday afternoon was watching fat middle aged men 'wrestling' on ITV sport, followed by a Ray Harryhausen film. Ideally it would be one of the Sinbad movies, but The Valley of Gwangi was an occasional treat that I always enjoyed as well.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2017, 07:51:20 PM »
Sorry but I'm a bit lost now: are they actually going to have dinosaur riding cowboys in this game, or is this a sidetrack? It goes a bit too far and is a bit too pulpy for me.  I prefer something Gothic but not quite so fantastical.  Like Bram Stoker meets the Wild West  or something along the lines of Abraham Lincoln Vampire Killer.  About as far as I would want to go...

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2017, 08:03:18 PM »
Sorry but I'm a bit lost now: are they actually going to have dinosaur riding cowboys in this game, or is this a sidetrack? It goes a bit too far and is a bit too pulpy for me.  I prefer something Gothic but not quite so fantastical.  Like Bram Stoker meets the Wild West  or something along the lines of Abraham Lincoln Vampire Killer.  About as far as I would want to go...

Dinosaur vampire riders, maybe?  ;D

Actually, we're just speculating about dinosaurs... Just because not only a Weird West or Western Gothic setting, but everything, is better with vampires (and werewolves) and dinosaurs!  ;)

Ainsty Castings Weird West Characters:

http://ainstycastings.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/70/products_id/745/osCsid/548e50e857ad38a3c8e25aad7d2292bd

« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 08:07:40 PM by dinohunterpoa »
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2017, 01:19:37 AM »
No, there are not Dino riding cowboys in Dracula's America.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2017, 02:45:45 AM »
No, there are not Dino riding cowboys in Dracula's America.

As already been said: NO RULEBOOK IS PERFECT!  :'(

Offline Fenrir

• Scientist
    • The Lead Mountaineer
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2017, 12:11:04 PM »
Hello, folks!

I'm Jonathan, the author/designer of Dracula's America- if there are any questions you have about the game then fire away and I'll do my best to answer them for you!

First off (and regrettably), there are no dinosaurs in the book- I think Phil over at Osprey would have had a fit if I'd tried to write them in!..

...It would however be very easy to come up with some rules for them in the game!  :D
I now have a Blog, like an actual modern-day human!
https://lead-mountaineer.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2017, 01:36:48 PM »
Hello, folks!

I'm Jonathan, the author/designer of Dracula's America- if there are any questions you have about the game then fire away and I'll do my best to answer them for you!

First off (and regrettably), there are no dinosaurs in the book- I think Phil over at Osprey would have had a fit if I'd tried to write them in!..

...It would however be very easy to come up with some rules for them in the game!  :D

Hello Jonathan!

Welcome to LAF! It's always very nice when an author comes to talk to the future players of the game!

No cowboy riding dinosaurs? Seriously?

What about werewolves?

And... will we really see Dracula as the president of the USA? Have you read Newman's ANNO DRACULA?

Well, at least that vampire dancer miniature looks very nice!  ;)

« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 01:41:51 PM by dinohunterpoa »

Offline Fenrir

• Scientist
    • The Lead Mountaineer
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2017, 03:43:34 PM »
Thanks very much- I'm more than happy to talk about the game- I've had to keep my mouth shut for the last year, so it's good to be able to finally talk about it!

Werewolves (and indeed, Werebears!) are certainly in the book- I hope this makes up for the lack of dino-riders somewhat...

I read Anno Dracula many years ago (and own the Warhammer Genevieve Undead anthology, incidentally)- as I'm a hopeless fanboy of Westerns and all things weird, there are plenty of references to these genres scattered throughout the book, and I make no apologies for this!
In the chronology of Dracula's America, Dracula is already President, having taken power in the chaos following the Civil War (which dragged on a few extra years- there's an alternate timeline in the book).

By the way- despite the title, the game is not just focused on Vampires (Red Hand Coven) versus Vampire Hunters (Twilight Order)- there are 4 more Factions: the Native confederation known as the Skinwalker Tribes, the guerrilla fighters/Vodou practitioners of the Congregation, the diabolical Crossroads Cult using the Transcontinental Railroad to power their Great Ritual, and the Necromancers of the Dark Confederacy (plus their undead minions) trying to restore the South to it's former glory by any means!

Incidentally, you can also play the game as a 'straight-up' Western and leave out the weird stuff if you prefer.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2017, 03:56:44 PM »

Thank you very much for the info, let's see how it comes!  ;)

Offline Fenrir

• Scientist
    • The Lead Mountaineer
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2017, 05:58:41 PM »
Cheers!
If you have any more questions about the game then just drop them below!..  :)

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2017, 08:46:30 AM »
Cheers!
If you have any more questions about the game then just drop them below!..  :)
Cheers!

How many minis a side is a standard game?
What size table do you recommend?
Is there a campaign system in the book?

Offline Fenrir

• Scientist
    • The Lead Mountaineer
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2017, 03:43:42 PM »
Thanks for the questions-

A standard game will be 3-10 models per side, with 6 being about average for a basic, one-off game.

The game plays well on a table between 2' x 2' and 4' x 4'; so 3' x 3' if you want to hedge your bets!

You bet there is a full campaign system- my favourite games have always been Mordheim, Necromunda and their ilk, so expect a similar kind of narrative-heavy system with models earning experience to increase their quality or learn new skills; plus lasting injuries and out-of-game Encounters (for which there are standard 'Old West' Encounters, and 'Supernatural' Encounters if you are playing a Campaign with the full rules!).

Any other questions, drop them below and I'll get back to you!

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2017, 03:53:25 PM »
Thanks for the questions-

A standard game will be 3-10 models per side, with 6 being about average for a basic, one-off game.

The game plays well on a table between 2' x 2' and 4' x 4'; so 3' x 3' if you want to hedge your bets!

You bet there is a full campaign system- my favourite games have always been Mordheim, Necromunda and their ilk, so expect a similar kind of narrative-heavy system with models earning experience to increase their quality or learn new skills; plus lasting injuries and out-of-game Encounters (for which there are standard 'Old West' Encounters, and 'Supernatural' Encounters if you are playing a Campaign with the full rules!).

Any other questions, drop them below and I'll get back to you!
Cool thanks