Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:42:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: African animals in28mm  (Read 25931 times)

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
African animals in28mm
« on: November 19, 2007, 08:26:35 PM »
Hi all

I'm after some african animals for my East africa games. So far I have found Copplestone, The London warrroom and Ral Partha. Is there anyone else that has a good selection of animals?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
African animals in28mm
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 08:48:41 PM »
Beware of the Copplestone ones. The elephants and rhinos are beautiful figures, but they are tiny. I bought some and I think they look silly next to his 28mm figures.

Normally I'm the sort that doesn't care too much about size differences, but the African elephant is BIG and should be imposing on the tabletop, so even I draw the line here.

Currently I am painting up some bendy plastic toy shop elephants as replacements and the Copplestones are sitting unpainted on the naughty step.

Edited for slapdash typing that didn't make any sense.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
African animals in28mm
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 09:08:42 PM »
It is certainly a fact that many of the best animal sculpts arround are not to be found among wargaming miniature manufacturers but with the toy makers. I have bought some beautiful stuff  (German company?) for my god-sons in some of the better toy stores in Stockholm (better than Toys-R-Us, that is). I would definitely consider buying them myself a Darkest Africa setting. That they sometimes a little larger than what would be normal since the papers and novels of the time genreally tended to portray the wildlife as roving herds of behemoths.

(see Jules Verne "The Steam Elephant". There is an outrageous chapter on how a herd of lions, tigers and panthers mount a coordianted and agressive attack a stockhouse).

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
African animals in28mm
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 08:14:15 AM »
Honourable Lead Boiler Suit Company used to produce quite an extensive range incluidng lions, zebra, buffalo, antelope, hippo, rhino, crocs and elephants.
Like most of their ranges they do not show them on thier website, they may cast them to order as they seem to do this with lots of their stuff. So give them a call. :(
I have all of these animals and they are very,very nice.
Foundry do some lions in thier gladiator range which are very ferocious looking beasties.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
African animals in28mm
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 08:52:11 AM »
Ral Pertha have quite a few animals, nowe looing at the site they may be small. They did have a guide to size but can`t find it the codes are indicated for scale in bold e.g these are BBB but cant find the bleedin key :D

https://www.connectstores.com/ralpartha/sp_27241.html

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
African animals in28mm
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 10:18:02 AM »
I have the Copplestone rhno pack and foundry lionsn and they are very nice. I also like the range that Ral Partha does but I dont know hown big they are.

London Warrom has a few animals but they dont look as nice as Ral Partha. However they also have some cool guns that i can use my askaris and some for my boxers.

Hammershield were you referring to the Schleich range of animals?

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
African animals in28mm
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 10:20:45 AM »
I'd agree with Hammershield - and some of them are cheaper too.
6mmfan - do you live up to your forum name? I'm into 6mm stuff too - Epic, Dark Realm sci fi and Bacchus historicals. And I'm wondering about a 6mm lead adventure....

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
African animals in28mm
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 10:44:08 AM »
Quote from: "6mmfan"
Hammershield were you referring to the Schleich range of animals?

I use Schleich for some of my dinosaur models. They are excellent figures, and good hard plastic so take a repaint really well.

I've not used any of the other animals yet, but I can recommend them for what I have got. Cheaper than lead too.  :wink:

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
African animals in28mm
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 10:50:24 AM »
My Mighty Joe Kong was a Schleich gorilla. If the rest are like him, I wholeheartedly recommend them.

He isn't really scaled to be a 28mm gorilla, though he makes a good giant ape.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
African animals in28mm
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 11:43:06 AM »
Paul was interested in a size comparison pic of the Copplestone elephant. Rather than just PM him I thought I'd post it here, in case it will be helpful to anyone else.

Copplestone elephant with Foundry Darkest Africa tribesman.

Copplestone elephant with Copplestone Ngoni chief.

Copplestone rhino with Foundry tribesman.

Copplestone rhino with Copplestone Ngoni chief.

Real life zookeeper with female African elephant.

I suppose they are not too far out, but on the tabletop they just feel too small to me. I'm sure the toy ones I have are too big, but I'd rather too big than too small, just for the impression they create on the table.

At least now everybody can make their own minds up.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
African animals in28mm
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 05:05:26 PM »
Thanks Poly. The rhinos look ok and the elephant looks alright from the front but too small from the side. Still, as part of an element base it might be ok.

I think I'll explore other possibilities first though.

I've just found some Reaper lions on Antenociti's site, does anyone know if Reaper do elephants too?

Edit: I just noticed its legs are wrong for an elephant stride pattern so I won't be getting it after all  :(

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
African animals in28mm
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 05:09:19 PM »
The Copplestone chief is a fair bit bigger than the Foundry chap (even though they are both sculpted by Mark Copplestone), which is why I did two lots of shots. Should have made that clearer.

That might account for why it looks okay in the head-on shot.. Perhaps I should have done exactly the same shot with both. Never mind, it gives you the basic idea.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
African animals in28mm
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 05:18:28 PM »
Quote from: "matakishi"
Thanks Poly. The rhinos look ok and the elephant looks alright from the front but too small from the side. Still, as part of an element base it might be ok.

I think I'll explore other possibilities first though.

I've just found some Reaper lions on Antenociti's site, does anyone know if Reaper do elephants too?

Edit: I just noticed its legs are wrong for an elephant stride pattern so I won't be getting it after all  :(

Hi paul, try HLBSC, I'll see if I can post a photo of some of their animals at the weekend.

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
African animals in28mm
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 05:19:22 PM »
You could also try to find some elephants in the ancient miniatures range, like Carthaginians and similar ones, take for instance:

http://www.grippingbeast.com/shop.php?CatID=154

I really don't know if the elephant + howdah are the same piece or not .. but maybe "ancient armies" it's also a good topic/place to look for african animals! :)
Cheers,
Pedro

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
African animals in28mm
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 05:56:31 PM »
Irregular Miniatures have quite a large number of African animals - the usual suspects as well as an ostrich!

I haven't seen them, so don't now what they are like scale-wise, but they are quite cheap, so may be worth a look. The giraffe is listed at 1 GBP, whilst the elephant is 3.75 GBP.

http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/

Here's the only pic I could find of them:

They don't look too bad to me.