Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:54:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689253
  • Total Topics: 118266
  • Online Today: 558
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley - Perilous Island, Chapter 5 - LAGOON OF TERROR  (Read 4002 times)

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Pulp Alley - Perilous Island, Chapter 5 - LAGOON OF TERROR
« on: September 30, 2013, 08:01:20 AM »
LAGOON OF TERROR

This is scenario #5 in our Perilous Island expansion for Pulp Alley and was played with three players/leagues. As usual, I tried to keep up with snapping pics while they played, so please forgive the poor focus and lighting.

Knowing how dangerous a Terror can be, the players made a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ before the start of the scenario, agreeing not attack each other -- and they stuck to it… for the most part...

After tracking a package from Lord Darrow to Soerabaja and locating the Old Sailor, the leagues make their way to the legendary Perilous Island. Located deep within the Indian Ocean, Perilous Island rises from the sea, surrounded by sharp rocks, sheer cliffs, and enshrouding fog…

Special: The Lagoon Terror — At the start of turn 3, and each turn thereafter, roll 1d6 until the Lagoon Terror arrives. On a roll of 4+ the player currently in control of the Initiative must place the Lagoon Terror within 6” of the shipwreck.

Special: Shipwreck — A shipwreck is placed in the center of the lagoon side of the table — within 6” of the edge.  The shipwreck counts as an extremely perilous area.

Wading through the water to reach the wrecked craft, Hook was the first to brave the perils of the lagoon. Beneath the surface, some unknown creature wrapped around his leg and threatened to pull him under, but his steel hook drove it away.
Whatever the strange creature was, Hook would be the ONLY character to brave the waters this scenario…

Pulp Girls colleague’s spread out to explore the edge of the jungle, looking for other signs of the Darrow expedition. Pulp Girl cautiously approached a native who was spying on Hook…

Frolicking along the beach, Badonka stops for a moment to enjoy the warm sun and enjoy the sights…

Shaking his head to clear his senses, Tuppy the Terrier takes another sniff at the colorful jug half-hidden in the tall grass. He shakes his head again and backs away, wanting nothing to do with the malodorous contents…

Bowler starts to approach the native but Pulp Girl holds up her hand and whispers calmly, “No, no, you’re making him nervous. Let me handle this…”

Scattered along the edge of the jungle the various Followers and Allies scout for clues and occasionally forget the gentleman’s agreement when it suits their purposes…

When Pulp Girl approaches the native, he becomes agitated, waving his arms around and appearing quite hostile. Little do Pulp Girl and Bowler understand that he is trying to warn them away from the water – the Terror is coming!
Bowler interprets the native’s actions as an attack and leaps in to help Pulp Girl. A swift thwack on his head sends Bowler to the dirt – where he remains…

Meanwhile, Hook crawls aboard the wreck as the Terror bursts from the water. Nearly crushed, Hook somehow manages to escape the monstrous creature from the depths of the lagoon…

Along the rocky beach, Mak finds a glowing crystal-like rock protruding from a boulder and stops to investigate. Little does he know the importance of his discovery…

Hurrying towards the water, Hook’s faithful sidekick draws her Broomhandle Mauser…

Tuppy stops just short of the water, his amazing terrier-senses save him again! "Water, why'd it have to be water?" he thinks to himself...

Overwhelmed by the terror from the deep, Hook shouts to Pulp Girls, “What are you waiting for?! SHOOT IT! SHOOT IT! SHOOT! SHOOT!”…

As requested, Pulp Girl and Mak unload their pistols firing into the melee. The shots that strike the monster bounce harmlessly off. However, a few bullets also hit Hook and seriously injure him…

Taking heavy fire from his so-called friends, Hook shouts “What are you doing?! STOP SHOOTING! STOP SHOOTING!”…

Beat down by the massive beast and carrying a few new chunks of lead, Hook falls to the deck. Fighting off unconsciousness, Hook spots a leather bound case and tucks it under his arm. He smiles, knowing that the contents will make this all worth it!…

Perhaps it was the bullet that grazed his skull or maybe he bumped his head when he fell down, but his smile suggested that he had forgot there was still a creature intent on devouring him whole.
As he rose to his feet, the lagoon terror came smashing down on him with such force that it knocked the case from his hands…

The case splashed into the water, bobbed for a few seconds and then sunk to the bottom of the lagoon…

This scenario ends as a tremor shakes the island violently and thick black smoke rises from the volcano. The terror disappears back below the waves, but for now the leagues must continue their search for the Darrow party deeper inland.

Now you know for certain that Darrow made it this far, but his ultimate fate is still unknown. The only solution is to continue searching for more clues.

How long will their uneasy truce last?

What horrors await?

Find out next week, on this forum…

When our heroes come face-to-face with the living-dead in…   CHAPTER 6 -- THE SINISTER SWAMP!

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Re: Pulp Alley - Perilous Island, Chapter 5 - LAGOON OF TERROR
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 11:30:36 AM »
Absolutely love it! The Lagoon Terror is great. Really looking forward to the Sinister Swamp.

What horrors await?

Something really nasty I hope?  :o

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 12:33:43 PM »
Fantastic AAR.
Thanks for posting it.
I too look forward to the next thrilling chapter!

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 01:11:43 PM »
Another great AAR. Awaiting the next installment.
Love the Terror.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 07:37:13 PM »
Best of the bunch so far!
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 08:16:05 PM »
Gripping stuff!  :-* That monster claw sure is a Terror. I'm looking forward to the next installment.
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Prof. Dinglebat. Phd.

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 03:44:42 AM »
Must have been hard to stick to the gentleman's agreement with such gun\gung ho characters.  :-*

Offline pistolpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Rent money is for rent - telly savalas
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 07:52:27 PM »
once again a great tale of adventure.  i especially like the buried in the sand figure.

making it very hard to be responsible and delay ordering perilous island over paying bills.

Offline Diplomatist

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 08:39:05 PM »
once again a great tale of adventure.  i especially like the buried in the sand figure.

Yes, I might be stealing that one!  ;)

Offline pistolpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Rent money is for rent - telly savalas
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 09:01:35 PM »
oh i'm definitely stealing that. i have some ancient celts laying around that i wasn't ever going to use; until now.