Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:15:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690618
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Frostgrave on a Heroquest board?  (Read 1899 times)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Frostgrave on a Heroquest board?
« on: December 10, 2015, 01:38:44 PM »
I'm getting my son Frostgrave for Christmas and providing a couple of warbands to go with it. It'd be nice to actually play it over Christmas but since we are at his house this year, there won't be any terrain available. We could just do the piles-of-books thing but then it just occurred to me that the Heroquest board would be Ok. It gives a better look than piles of books and has the ability to cut down line-of-sight but would it work? Is it big enough for one thing?

I've not played a game of Frostgrave yet so I don't have an intuitive feeling if this would work or not. What say those who've played it?

Thanks

Doug

Offline November

• Scientist
    • November in Frostheim
Re: Frostgrave on a Heroquest board?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 02:10:48 PM »
It sure would work for underground scenarios. For most scenarios, those tight corridors might change the feel quite a bit, but I still think it could work. I know I'm going to use a dungeon set made for WHQ in Frostgrave, along with the outdoors board.

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 02:19:47 PM »
How big is the Heroquest board?
The rulebook reckons that a 3'x3' table is best for 2 player games, though I believe that the recent Wargames Illustrated games day had 2'x2' tables.

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 02:25:15 PM »
The corridors might get a bit cramped, but I think it sounds like a great idea.

Offline markdienekes

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 02:40:36 PM »
I wqas thinking about using it or advanced Heroquest tiles for the library scenario (and perhaps Into the Breeding Pits if its required...)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 03:18:10 PM »
I think many of the HQ board corridors are quite narrow (the squares are 20mm across IIRC), which might be an issue. Also, I reckon you might need more and bigger doors.

However, if you are happy to make you own card stand-up doors, I'd make some bigger ones (maybe double-width) to improve access around the dungeon.

You would need to house-rule certain spells (since the dungeon is assumed to have ceilings!), and which models can fit through which doors. I would also use some crates and barrels mounted on 20x20mm bases to strew around as LOS blockers because I think furniture like tables will make the rooms a bit too cramped otherwise.

If you're willing to do a little extra work though, I think Frostgrave in a dungeon could be quite exciting!

Failing all that, you could get some nesting cardboard boxes, and spray them grey with a can of primer from Halfords. This provides simple easy-to-store terrain that can easily represent ruins and small buildings in a pinch. You can also cut doors, windows, and ruined holes/corners into them as well (and they will still stack together). The lids can be used as roofs, or placed onto the table for low ruins. Something like these perhaps? When you're done, they all stack inside each other like Russian dolls.

A grey cloth and a white can of spray paint can make a nice frosty-looking 3'x3' dropcloth for extremely little work. :)

Offline MrCharisma

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 09:47:16 PM »
I'm eyeing off a board on eBay right now for underground scenarios, such as the library.

Offline julius1880

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 11:58:12 PM »
Isn't the next book for Frostgrave in July 2016 have upcoming rules for underground scenarios?
"What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?\"
Frederick the Great

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 10:38:10 AM »
The Heroquest board is a bit small, but that would just make the game all the more bloody if you ask me.