Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:15:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 523
Total: 529

Recent

Author Topic: SECTOR X - Terrain Project for Necromunda & Killteam  (Read 25460 times)

Offline November

• Scientist
    • November in Frostheim
SECTOR X - Terrain Project for Necromunda & Killteam
« on: November 13, 2018, 05:18:17 PM »
Just when my appartment finally had some free space, first time in years, I got this inspiration of making some miniatures terrain once again...

It's a project inspired by the works of the gentlemen BoBo and Nedius, with their respective Space Hulk projects. I use a similar style to create rooms and hallways, not aspiring to create a full or accurate Space Hulk terrain, but simply just enough cool pieces for some skirmish gaming.

The main idea for the Sector X is a remote corner deep in the bottom of the Underhive, right above the Sump, perhaps an abandoned industrial sector, with radioactive leaks here and there.

Materials: Aside of the Games Workshop's Manufactorum-sets (I grabbed a pile before they went out of production), the pieces include a broken array of plasticard, cardboard, foamboard, greenstuff, pipes, wires, sprues, and of course parts from random plastic kits. Also glue. Looots of glue.

Room #1:

Connector-piece #1:

Hallway #1:

The pieces get fully painted on the inside, while the outer side is drybrushed to shades of gray to simulate the dark areas between the tunnels.

Whole thing so far:

Paint jobs are not yet finalized. I want to first get a decent "table" built (10 pieces or so), before returning to maybe pick up some details from these. Got several more pieces on the workbench in various stages.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 09:06:03 AM by November »

Offline Tungdil

• Scientist
Re: Sector X - Terrain Project for Necromunda & Killteam
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 06:29:55 PM »
Terrific work.  :o

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 09:40:54 PM »
Cool project, my heart warms to these things.

Back when I started with the hobby again, about 14 years ago, I built a 3D dungeon inspired by Resident Evil.

Your stuff really look ace!

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
  • Pulp Alley Phantom Agent
    • Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 09:54:11 PM »
So that's what one can do with those kits...spectacular!

I have had the kits kicking around in my room for quite some time, finally I have the inspiration and ideas to steal, borrow, build upon.

Thank you for posting!
For more gaming stuff feel free to check out my blogs:
General blog: Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer @ http://menelduir.blogspot.ca/
Painting/building blog @ https://menelduirspainting.blogspot.com/
VSF related blog @ https://vsfadventuresofmenelduir.blogspot.com/

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 04:39:58 AM »
This looks great!

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 09:12:09 AM »
Nice work.

That is a good plan to build the table's worth and not get bogged down with (even more) detail.

I look forward to seeing what you do.

Offline November

• Scientist
    • November in Frostheim
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 02:33:52 PM »
@Tungdil, Ockman, Menelduir, blacksoilbill, Ultravanillasmurf:
Thanks a lot for the good work, guys! Here's one more piece I recently completed (minus some detailwork). You probably don't have to guess where it goes.

Peeking into the hallway:

I don't really have this quick pace with the pieces, but rather have several in various stages. So far it's taken me about 1-2 weeks for building a single piece, and at least a week for painting it. Not full-day work, but rather a chill pace on the late evening hours.

Hoping to make another update next week with the next piece I'm working with!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 02:41:15 PM by November »

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 03:26:47 PM »
Amazing corridor sections.  Real labour of love there as making pieces to that level of detail and individuality is a LOT of work!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 04:08:47 PM »
I think the grey drybrushed exterior is an excellent idea. Very smart, very good looking!

Offline axiom

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Magpie and old lead
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 04:42:55 PM »
These are great! It looks like you have plenty of playing area and some lovely detailing on the pieces to date. I think the detailed grey exterior really adds a lot of value and makes the pieces look finished in a way that blank black walls wouldn't. Looking forward to seeing more!

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 07:28:10 PM »
Top notch.

Offline November

• Scientist
    • November in Frostheim
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 01:45:36 PM »
Amazing corridor sections.  Real labour of love there as making pieces to that level of detail and individuality is a LOT of work!

You're right! Having built a lot of scratch-built terrain before, I was actually surprised how much work went into each of these pieces, with all the ready kit parts and bits.

I think the grey drybrushed exterior is an excellent idea. Very smart, very good looking!

These are great! It looks like you have plenty of playing area and some lovely detailing on the pieces to date. I think the detailed grey exterior really adds a lot of value and makes the pieces look finished in a way that blank black walls wouldn't. Looking forward to seeing more!

Yeah. While playing (or while they're stored over a visible shelf), you're going to be looking at the exterior a lot, so the amount of details won't be lost there. Even though it almost doubles the amount of materials used.

I'm kinda planning of playing with the effect a bit, with a short-out elevator room, where only an emergency light is burning, so most of the piece, interior as well, is in grayshades, and only the surroundings of the emergency light is colored. Hopefully it will turn out well!

Offline tim in saskatoon

• Mad Scientist
    • Tim's Miniature Wargaming Blog
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 12:56:47 AM »
That is just fantastic!

Offline November

• Scientist
    • November in Frostheim
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2018, 08:02:11 AM »
Another small room/corridors crossing.