Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:34:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Aeronef project - blame it on Ray Rivers (Updated 5-10-09) Painting Done!  (Read 17920 times)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Blame the VSFers. Due to Ray starting his, I had an image of an Aeronef in my head, and today I started working on it. I normally try to spend Saturdays painting, but today my arthritis/tendonitis was really acting up, and led to my working on the Aeronef instead - large rough work, instead of detailed fine stuff.

I started with materials familiar to me, and easy to get - high-density urethane sign foam. Get samples all day long from work at no cost.

Here you see the very base of the vehicle.

As you can see here, I have commandeered a Rebel Troop Transport from the Star Wars collectible miniatures set to use as my cockpit. It has riveted sides, and that made very appealing for this.

Another angle.

Now with work done to angle some corners.

And here I have added some extra reinforcement. I am planning on planking the standing surfaces with wooden sticks, and putting plasticard sides on it, adding pins as rivets as I go. I'll need to get guns for it, and then a crew, but hey, it is going to be fun. What's one more Aeronef in the skies of Venus or MArs, right?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 04:28:40 AM by Sinewgrab »
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: Aeronef project - blame it on Ray Rivers
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 10:09:30 AM »
Seems the VSF shipyards are at full production!

Looking forward to see how it goes!

Keep us posted.

Offline Trencher

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 11:23:10 AM »
Interesting start! Looks like it takes shape in a fast time. "The System is the Difference..." - as always! lol
Keep us posted. BTW, where's that armoured superstructure from?
TANK POLO? God, how our gardener hated that game!

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 07:46:56 PM »
Interesting start! Looks like it takes shape in a fast time. "The System is the Difference..." - as always! lol
Keep us posted. BTW, where's that armoured superstructure from?

As it says under one of the pistures, that is a Rebel Troop Carrier from the collectible Star Wars game.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 09:16:04 PM »
Oi! blaming other folk is my trick. ;)

Looking good so far. I wish I could get some of that stuff, I make all my hulls from plasticard so they are hollow and that looks a lot quicker.

Look forward to the updates

Svennn
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 10:10:06 PM »
Oi! blaming other folk is my trick. ;)

Looking good so far. I wish I could get some of that stuff, I make all my hulls from plasticard so they are hollow and that looks a lot quicker.

Look forward to the updates

Svennn

Talk to a sign shop. They may have cutoffs. Any sign maker who does 3-dimensional signs, either uses redwood, oak, or this stuff to do it. It is easily worked with a triple axis CNC machine. Take a look at these manufacturer links, and then when you sound like you know what you are asking for, you can try and get some.

http://www.precisionboard.com/
http://www.signfoam.com/

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 10:17:35 PM »
And, as I wait for the Super Bowl, here is my work for the day.

The planking is on. I love those little bags of sticks I get at Michaels.

And the last two shots are of the vessel with plasticard added to the sides. I am planning on drilling holes and adding pins to give me the riveted look I feel it needs. I will probably hit a wall soon that I won't be able to get past, as my funds are short enough (damned economy) that I won't be able to order the guns and crew, or get the little pieces I want. I'll see what I have in bits though - I even surprise myself sometimes with what I can find in my boxes of leftovers. I want that gun the Ray is using though - where the best place to get Reviresco in the US?

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 10:37:52 PM »
I thought Reviresco was a US company ?

Awesome looking ship.
That construction method looks a lot faster than Ray's ship.... could this be the start of another naval arms race ?

Should that be aeronaval ? or aeronefal ?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing the painted & riveted finished vessel.

If you can't afford the guns and fittings, why not use it (temporarily) as either a troopship or a merchantman temporarily pressed into naval service.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 10:41:39 PM »
I thought Reviresco was a US company ?

Awesome looking ship.
That construction method looks a lot faster than Ray's ship.... could this be the start of another naval arms race ?

Should that be aeronaval ? or aeronefal ?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing the painted & riveted finished vessel.

If you can't afford the guns and fittings, why not use it (temporarily) as either a troopship or a merchantman temporarily pressed into naval service.

You're right - I mixed it up with Redoubt.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Aeronef project - blame it on Ray Rivers (Updated 2-2)
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 05:51:43 AM »
Ah, the day after the Super Bowl update, wherein I show the work I did last night after cursing the onesided refereeing.

Below is the side I have close to finished as far as rivets go, and the handles I glued on in place of a ladder. I am using a lot of old tank pieces from various GW kits I have assembled over the years.

Here is a closer view of the back, with the boiler and smokestack in clear view. You can also see the steering wheel I have added to the command superstructure. I am also happy to have found a railing solution - the posts are toothpicks, and I have drilled small holes in them near the top, and am planning to run thread through them as a rope railing. Easier to replace in the humid jungles of Venus.

Now I just have to scrape together the funds for the 6' naval rifle and 2 12lbers on pintle mounts from Reviresco, and a couple of the steel doors.

I also added a GW battle cannon to the bottom, but I am not convinced it was a good addition yet. I am going to keep looking at it, and see what I think. Opinions are welcome.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 08:09:59 AM »
Great piece of work. Now, the concept of the "chin gun" is great (to bombard the villages of those uppity Venusian villagers), but the execution by battlecannon is sub-par. IŽd say, keep the gun position, but replace the gun, it just looks too modern for a convincing VSF feel.

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 08:25:35 AM »
Like this very much indeed, but I do agree that the chin gun, while a good concept, looks to modern. You might be able to crank the VSF nature of the gun up a notch by adding a gun-shield, and some rivets, where appropriate. Perhaps you could fill in the muzzle breaks, too. That would give it a slightly more 19th century feel, I'd wager.

-Doc

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 08:56:36 AM »
I think the gun position in good but I agree with the comments above. I think the main problem with the gun barrel is that it is too recognisable for what it is. Definitely needs disguised a bit. I think filling in the muzzle breaks is a good idea.
The rest of the ship is great :-*

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 09:30:47 AM »
Wow,

That looks quite kewl.  Coming along very well.

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 09:31:04 AM »
Very nice and impressive!!

If you make the undercarriage removable it can be doubled as an ocean going vessel,too!
argsilverson