Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 09:24:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: CapnJim's War of 1812 Stuff - North Point Battle Report - page 5 (07 May 24)  (Read 9510 times)

Online CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
My weekly gaming group is going back to The War of 1812 this coming Saturday.  It'll be a 28mm game using Black Powder.  The battle will be inspired by the Battle of North Point, in Maryland in 1814. 

Actually, just for farts and giggles, it'll actually be a reenactment of the battle.  The various regiments/battalions will be represented by groups of 10-12 men, some with not-quite-correct colors and facings (at least for the battle in question).  I'll even have a viewing area and a grandstand for modern spectators (complete with ambulance and paramedics)...

I'll post the scenario info when I have it done up later this week. Photos of the battle reenactment will follow the game.  I'll be sure to get shots with the crowd in the background/foreground... :D 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 11:47:14 PM by CapnJim »
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
I will watch with interest...
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Online CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Thanks.  I hope to make it worth your while...

I've got the table set up.  As I mentioned, we'll be playing North Point pretty straight, but it's set up as a battle reenactment.

I've out together the terrain and OOB's from several sources, including Osprey's The Chesapeake Campaign 1813-14, Stuart Asquith's Scenarios for the War of 1812, and the American Battlefield Trust.  As I mentioned, its a modern-day reenactment, so the regiments and battalions are represented by groups of 10 or 11 men.   Artillery is represented by 1 single gun each side.  I've left out the small amount a Maryland Dragoons and the British Naval Brigade (maybe their cars broke down - but really it's because I don't have suitable figures...).  Otherwise, it's right out of the books...

The reenactors have taken their starting positions.  You can see the crowd has gathered, and dignitaries are on the reviewing stand.  A couple paramedics are standing by with their vehicle, a couple local cops are milling about, and a dude with a tractor is on hand, just in case.  There are 2 photographers on hand, trying to be inconspicuous behind buildings.  My plan is to take photos of the action, from the prespective of the crowd or the photographers...

Here are a few shots, obviously taken from somebody's drone. This one shows the whole shebang:

You can see the bystanders, etc. at the top of this shot.  The British (to your left) start out with units in line, their left to right, the 1st Bn. Royal Marines, the 44th Regiment, the 85th Regiment, and the Light Companies.  Coming up the road, in march column, is the 21st Regiment, followed by the 2nd Bn. Royal Marines.  The 4th Regiment is just off the field, and may enter on the first turn in March Column on the road.  The British artillery piece is by the farm, behind their line.  The 85th is portrayed by a unit of Canadian Voltiguers, while the Light Companies are portrayed by Glengarry Lights.

The Americans (to your right), start out in 3 lines.  The first line has, their left to right, the 27th Maryland, their artillery piece, the 5th Maryland, and the Rifles.  The 2nd line has, from their left to right, the 39th Maryland and the 51st Maryland.  The 6th Maryland is in the 3rd line in reserve.  The 5th and 27th Maryland are portrayed by blue-coated regulars, while the 6th and 39th Maryland are portrayed by gray-coated regulars.  The 51st Maryland is portrayed by blue-coated militia in round hats.  The Rifles and portrayed by riflemen in hunting shirts.

Here are a few more drone shots as the actual reenactment gets ready to start...

In the last shot, you can see that the Maryland Rifles has their flank firmly anchored on the crowd.  Any reenactors out there may know what that is like... ;)

And, for the record, we're using Black Powder rules.  here are the army lists:

The nth anniversary battle reenactment of the Battle of North Point is set to begin at 11:00 am this Saturday.  Watch this space for reports to be filed afterwards...

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
And they will all enjoy some good drinks together after the battle, even those who died!

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
The idea of wargaming a re-enactment of a battle tickles my fancy! The bystanders are a great touch!

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
Brilliant idea brilliantly executed! Well done!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
As a reenactor, all I can say is - brilliant idea!

Years ago Gripping Beast showed off some sculpts for 'Farby reenactor vikings' to go with their dark age ranges, for just this situation. Sadly I don't think they were ever produced
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Online CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Thanks, all!

FYI, I was a reenactor as well, nigh on 15, 20 years ago (AWI and WW2).  Wargaming bud Ted did ACW for a bunch of years...

As mentioned, I'll do a report, hopefully Sunday or Monday...

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
Many wargames are best viewed as a simulation of a reënactment.
: 3

I thoroughly enjoy playing Bolt Action, which is a superb example.  All the fighting takes place at point blank range, including with the tanks and vehicles.  Even most of the figures are better models of many reënactors than WW2 soldiers — it's tough trying to fit a couple of metal 28mm figures in to a scale Willys Jeep.
~ , ~

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
My weekly gaming group is going back to The War of 1812 this coming Saturday.  It'll be a 28mm game using Black Powder.  The battle will be inspired by the Battle of North Point, in Maryland in 1814. 

Actually, just for farts and giggles, it'll actually be a reenactment of the battle.  The various regiments/battalions will be represented by groups of 10-12 men, some with not-quite-correct colors and facings (at least for the battle in question).  I'll even have a viewing area and a grandstand for modern spectators (complete with ambulance and paramedics)...

I'll post the scenario info when I have it done up later this week. Photos of the battle reenactment will follow the game.  I'll be sure to get shots with the crowd in the background/foreground... :D

Bleeping brilliant!
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
Following with interest.
And i was also a reenactor for several years. Portuguese napoleonic caçadores and medieval 13th and 14th centuries.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
What a great idea. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Cat, you’re not implying that re-enactors tend to be on the hefty side are you? I just assumed that was scale creep.

Online CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Cat, you’re not implying that re-enactors tend to be on the hefty side are you? I just assumed that was scale creep.

My AWI group (8th Pennsylvania Continentals) had an average age in the high 40s or low 50s. Most of us had more waistline than hair.  We used to joke about leasing ourselves out as already-bloated and scalped bodies... :D

Seriously, folks, we played Yesterday (Saturday).  A report will surely pop up here within the next day or two.  i swear it... 8)

Online CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Ted played the Americans, and Gene the British.  Again, 28mm using Black Powder rules.  And we decided to give the Maryland Rifles the "Splendid Shots" rule (not that it did them any good...).

And here we go...

Battle of North Point (Presented as a Reenactment)

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to our annual War of 1812 reenactment.  This morning's tactical demonstration will be based on the Battle of North Point, fought in Maryland, east of Baltimore, in September 1814.

On the reviewing stand with me today are members of the Reenactment Committee, local officials, and Father John Mulcahy.  How about a nice round of applause for them...

Before we begin, a few safety items.  First, for those of you who have never been to a reenactment, please note that the folks you see before you will be firing blanks, NOT real ammunition.  Any casualties are not really injures, just playing that part.  However, should there be any actual injuries, paramedics from the local Fire Department are on hand, as you can see to your right.  We also have on hand some members of local law enforcement agencies, also located to your right.  Let's give our first responders a round of applause...

Last, to your left you will see local volunteer Moe DeGrasse with his tractor,  He is on hand to assist the artillery crews you see in front of you with moving their pieces to and from the battlefield and their camps.  Moe has been providing his services for several years now.  Let's give him a round of applause...

And now, on with the battle. 

The British, to your front right, start out with units in line, with the 1st Bn. Royal Marines nearest to you, then the 44th Regiment, the 85th Regiment, and the Light Companies.  Coming up the road, in march column, is the 21st Regiment, followed by the 2nd Bn. Royal Marines.  The 4th Regiment is just off the field, and will come on the field shortly.  The British artillery piece is by the farm, behind their line.  The 85th is portrayed by a unit of Canadian Voltiguers, while the Light Companies are portrayed by Glengarry Lights.  Both those units came down from Ontario, Canada to be with us today. 

The Americans (in front of you to your left, start out in 3 lines.  The first line has, farthest from you, the 27th Maryland, their artillery piece, the 5th Maryland, and the Rifles.  The 2nd line has, from farthest from you, the 39th Maryland and the 51st Maryland.  The 6th Maryland is in the 3rd line in reserve.  The 5th and 27th Maryland are portrayed by blue-coated regulars, while the 6th and 39th Maryland are portrayed by gray-coated regulars.  The 51st Maryland is portrayed by blue-coated militia in round hats.  The Rifles and portrayed by riflemen in hunting shirts.

We do have some members of the local press out on the field taking photographs.  They will try to be as inconspicuous as possible.

Now, you see the British advancing.  As their line advances, the 1st Battalion of the Royal Marines is charging into the American's Rifle Battalion.

Now, you can see the 5th Maryland charging in to help the riflemen.  The weight of numbers is too much for the British Marines, and you can see them falling back.

Now, you can see the Americans' 39th and 6th Maryland Regiments advancing.

Immediately in front of you, you can see the British Marines regrouping, while the 21st regiment and the 2nd Battalion of Marines march to the fight.  In the background, you can see that the British 85th Light Regiment and the Light Companies have moved up to the fence, and are fighting with the American's 27th and 6th Maryland Regiments.

Oh no!  The 27th Maryland Regiment has had enough already at the fenceline, and has quit the field!  Good thing the 39th Maryland is there to lend support to the 6th!

Closer to us, you can see that the 51st Maryland has advanced to support the Maryland Rifles and the 5th Maryland.

On the British side, the 21st and 4th Regiments are advancing near the cabin there in front of you to support the Marines.

The brave Marylanders are waiting for them.

In the background the fight at the fence continues.  You can hear the rattle of musketry and the roar of the cannons all across the field.

The Americans and the British loose volleys at each other.  At this range you can see the reenacators elevating their muskets a bit when they fire, for safety reasons.

Ah yes, now you see the British 21st Regiment charge into the 5th Maryland...

Oh no!  The Marylanders have been beaten!  The British advance to follow them.  And right here in front of us all!

On the American left, the fight at the fence is still raging!

But, more disaster!  The Marylanders at the fence have been beaten!  Things look grim for our brave Maryland boys.

And there you have it, ladies and gentlemen.  While the Marylanders put up a stout resistance, the British have taken the field, and the remaining Maryland units are retreating from the field, while the victorious British invaders advance across it.

And that concludes this morning's tactical demonstration.  The dead shall now rise!  And if you stick around for a few minutes, the armies will pass in review here in front of the reviewing stand.  First, the British.  You can also see Mr. DeGrasse lending a hand to the artillery units...

And now, the American units will pass in review.

Thank you all for coming, folks.  There will be a musket demonstration at 12:30 this afternoon, followed by a.....

And with that, our battle was done.  The British claimed the field, as they did in the real battle.  But Gene simply bludgeoned his way straight forward, with none of the relative tactical finesse the British used in the real battle.

FYI, The US objective was to keep the British east of the stone house for 10 turns, at which time they could conduct an orderly retreat off the field.  The British objective was to break the US force.  The British won key melees in Turn 7, which broke the American army.  They tried to retreat (broken) while keeping the British at bay, but the British got 2 units west of the stone house on Turn 9.  it was  near-run thing, until it wasn't.... :o

Thanks for reading.  Hope you enjoyed it...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 09:42:53 PM by CapnJim »