Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 07:39:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Getting Ready for Sharp Practice  (Read 16840 times)

Offline tomek917

• Mad Scientist
    • Anabasis
Re: Getting Ready for Sharp Practice
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2016, 02:10:28 PM »
How do you guys think Sharp Practice would work for the Cape Wars?

I was planning on using The Men Who Would Be Kings but Sharp Practice sounds better and better...

Offline Lardy Rich

• Scientist
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2016, 02:52:13 PM »
The Men Who Would be King sounds absolutely great.  Dan really does a great job.

Funnily enough, I was looking at the Cape Wars stuff just now on PMT and I do plan to do the period.  We will be producing a Colonial supplement for Sharp Practice which will include all sorts of wars including this one. 

Rich

Offline Lardy Rich

• Scientist
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2016, 02:55:24 PM »
Just to comment on Andy's post about the game we ran at Peterborough.  I had planned a normal size game of about six or so groups, but we had a big turnout so I shovelled a whole load of additional toys on the table to try to accommodate the numbers.  A normal force starts off at about 40 figures, so no need for huge armies.  I find that helps motivate me when painting, knowing that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Rich   

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2016, 04:58:40 PM »
just bought bundle five for Sharp practice two as I could not
resist the de-luxe versions! :D
pleased Rich is bringing out a Garibaldi and the War of 1860 list
as this means I can now game my own range....! :-*

Regards
Ged
www.gringo40s.com
www.gringo40s.blogspot.com

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2016, 05:38:16 PM »
Just to comment on Andy's post about the game we ran at Peterborough.  I had planned a normal size game of about six or so groups, but we had a big turnout so I shovelled a whole load of additional toys on the table to try to accommodate the numbers.  A normal force starts off at about 40 figures, so no need for huge armies.  I find that helps motivate me when painting, knowing that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Rich   

Yeah, but the key point I didn't make was that even though Rich threw extra toys onto the table, the game still worked really well. It scaled up really easily and I thought was a really great size game - felt like a small battle.

Regarding Dan Mersey's rules, I'll no doubt use my figures for both SP2 and TMWWBK. The style of both games is very different but each is very satisfying and great fun in its own way.

Offline tomek917

• Mad Scientist
    • Anabasis
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2016, 05:56:28 PM »
The Men Who Would be King sounds absolutely great.  Dan really does a great job.

Regarding Dan Mersey's rules, I'll no doubt use my figures for both SP2 and TMWWBK. The style of both games is very different but each is very satisfying and great fun in its own way.

Yeah I'll probably get both sets too! Thanks for your answers!

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2016, 09:29:42 AM »
just bought bundle five for Sharp practice two as I could not
resist the de-luxe versions! :D
pleased Rich is bringing out a Garibaldi and the War of 1860 list
as this means I can now game my own range....! :-*

Regards
Ged
www.gringo40s.com

So can many others too :)

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2016, 09:34:45 AM »
flags of War..................fingers crossed eh? :D

regards
Ged
www.gringo40s.com

Offline Lardy Rich

• Scientist
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2016, 12:47:58 PM »
Well, I should have been filming more Sharp Practice videos today but I have a FILTHY cold and the thought of mumbling my way through Command & Control filled me with dread.  Instead, I thought I'd pen a piece about my new Sharp Practice project on Lard Island News.  Not much to see yet, but some ideas forming.

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/?p=5622

Serious question at the foot of the article about names.  Any help appreciated. 

Rich

Offline Lardy Rich

• Scientist
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2016, 12:11:30 PM »
Just a quick heads up to say that the third video in the Sharp Practice series is now up on YouTube.  This one stars Fat Nick who is talking about the movement and firing mechanisms.

I hope some of you find it useful.  We tried to keep these sections very intuitive so that they merge into the background and don't require any thought or reference to the rules during play.  This allows the players to focus on the command decisions and not on the rules.

Rich

Offline Morgan

• Librarian
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2016, 01:23:32 PM »
I'm finding the videos very useful. I've not played SP1 nor had any contact with the SP2 playtesting so this "absolute basics" approach is a very handy introduction to the game.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2016, 02:44:39 PM »
You sold me Chain of Command with those videos.

As I am waiting for SP2 I cant be persuaded more, but many other will be :)

Offline Lardy Rich

• Scientist
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2016, 03:09:06 PM »
Thanks chaps

We had great feedback about the Chain of Command videos helping people understand the concepts of the rules.  As a result we plan to do similar videos for all of our new releases. 

Rich

Offline Mr.Thurston

• Lurker
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2016, 10:12:32 PM »
I have a question. I'm brand new to the Lard and was wondering what exactly deployment markers are meant to represent? I have an idea but I am looking for specifics. The reason is that  I want to prepare some diorama styles markers. I'm not sure what I should put on them in terms of models and terrain.
My friend and I are going to be doing Austerlitz era skirmishes between the French and the Russians/Austrians.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2016, 11:11:47 PM »
I have a question. I'm brand new to the Lard and was wondering what exactly deployment markers are meant to represent? I have an idea but I am looking for specifics. The reason is that  I want to prepare some diorama styles markers. I'm not sure what I should put on them in terms of models and terrain.
My friend and I are going to be doing Austerlitz era skirmishes between the French and the Russians/Austrians.

if you go to the Lard Island youtube channel and seek out the second SP2 video, it's all explained there. Here's the link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsBr65COAsQ

Essentially, they represent the point(s) from which your troops are allowed to deploy and through which they would withdraw if it all goes wrong.