Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:39:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1693949
  • Total Topics: 118572
  • Online Today: 622
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A&A Miniatures 4th Century Roman Field Army- Early 4th CE?  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
A&A Miniatures 4th Century Roman Field Army- Early 4th CE?
« on: June 12, 2023, 02:03:32 PM »
Hi,

I've been gawping/frothing at the prospect of buying a "Early" Late Roman (NB. Not Middle Imperial but Late Imperial) army from A&A for a number of years but wanted to check in with the hive mind as to what opinions you guys and gals have as to where the army would fit into the 4th CE time frame- in particular the Legionaries (but the rest of the range too of course!)

Legionaries:

Samples of other packs:

Link to A&A Miniatures site:
https://www.aandaminiatures.co.uk/

So, what do you think?

My Just Add Water Miniature Painting Blog:
https://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/

Offline Kourtchatovium104

• Scientist
  • An atom from alternate realities...
Re: A&A Miniatures 4th Century Roman Field Army- Early 4th CE?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2023, 02:29:11 PM »
A good choice to make a Tetrarchic roman army (if it is what you mean by early late romans  ;)). The easiest is to have a look at the arch of Galerius and the arch of Constantine, your minis fit well with thoses remains of this era.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2023, 11:47:32 AM »
The easiest is to have a look at the arch of Galerius

Which panels should I be looking at please? There's rather a lot of them. ;0

and the arch of Constantine, your minis fit well with thoses remains of this era.

Ditto for the above. :)

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2023, 02:01:02 PM »
I'm old-fashioned, so I found the pictures in a magazine about the subject years ago. Here is a detail of one. Wearing the chainmail is a widespread use. I hope it helps you.  :)

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2023, 02:09:24 PM »
I forgot to say that scalemail were also worn. For high officers, the "anatomical" armour was used all along the roman era...

Offline WorkShy

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2023, 03:54:23 PM »
I can't see anything wrong with A&A for 4th century. Armour is lorica hamata or lorica squamata. Helmets are typically spangenhelms or ridge type. There are one or two figures (cavalry and camel riders) that seem to have helms that look more like Heddernheim E which is 3rd century but perhaps that is still ok for early 4th century on the odd mini.

What I don't really see is the advantage of A&A minis over some others. I've looked at them many times and considered buying them but end up always going elsewhere. Their poses are rather similar. Probably quick to paint tbh. It's just I feel I can better now with Victrix having launched late romans. 

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2023, 06:00:48 PM »
I can't see anything wrong with A&A for 4th century. Armour is lorica hamata or lorica squamata. Helmets are typically spangenhelms or ridge type. There are one or two figures (cavalry and camel riders) that seem to have helms that look more like Heddernheim E which is 3rd century but perhaps that is still ok for early 4th century on the odd mini.

That was kind of my thinking. It's hard to tell from the photo's but the Legionaries all seem to have Spangelhelm type helmets as well as lorica hamata or lorica squamata.

What I don't really see is the advantage of A&A minis over some others. I've looked at them many times and considered buying them but end up always going elsewhere. Their poses are rather similar. Probably quick to paint tbh.

Ha! You clearly haven't seen the pace that I paint  lol

Offline clibinarium

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2023, 08:36:53 PM »
I think the Arch of Galerius is the main inspiration for the infantry packs (I don't know that, its just a guess) which would place them around 300AD. The images are not the easiest to interpret.  I would be happy to use them later than that, as the helmets have been identified later in the century from finds. There is an argument they are not the same helmet type as those later archeological finds, but they are very similar, and an earlier form is suggested by some figures on Trajan's Column. 

As has been said the Heddernheim helmets (an evolution of the Imperial Gallic from the High Empire) are likely to be disappearing in the fourth century. But for early fouth, it wouldn't bother me too much.

Discussion of the helmet with reference to the Arch of Galerius https://www.res-bellica.com/en/spangenhelm-type-leiden-may-you-use-it-for-the-4th-century/

Offline Muzfish4

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2023, 09:16:41 AM »
Quote from: Atheling
Ha! You clearly haven't seen the pace that I paint  lol

Or I  :D

A very timely topic as the latest Ancient Warfare just arrived today and the cover story is the eastern frontier over 300-600 AD.

Seriously though, A&A are very nice miniatures and do have some excellent 'period' details around belt buckles and suchlike. The command packs are especially fun with very characterful leaders and good options for dracones/vexillia depending on your inclination. I can have a dig around for photos of my C3rd dudes if that would help give an idea of what the sculpts look like with a lick of paint?

Speaking of, given that a lot of equipment could be reused over time you could even add a bit of variety with one or two packs from the 'Middle Imperial Roman' range.

Finally, my experience with A&A has always been very positive - the customer service is very helpful and responsive.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2023, 11:28:58 AM »
I'd echo the comments about A&A service. They are also currently doing a deal of "buy 4 get 1 free". That said I think the 4th century range aren't the best sculpts. The poor photos don't help. I have various armies using their figures including the Palmyran and 3rd century Roman army.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2023, 12:11:43 PM »
I'd echo the comments about A&A service. They are also currently doing a deal of "buy 4 get 1 free". That said I think the 4th century range aren't the best sculpts. The poor photos don't help. I have various armies using their figures including the Palmyran and 3rd century Roman army.

I have plenty of mini's from their 3rd Century Range. My question was more about what period of history they would be good for given the narrowness of the range in terms of equipment etc.

It looks like early 4th CE and that is it, I'm maybe better sticking to my more traditional Footsore, Gripping Beast and West Wing Late Romans. Might even throw in a few Crusader Mini's now that I have a decent idea of size for them.

Offline WorkShy

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2023, 04:16:29 PM »
I have plenty of mini's from their 3rd Century Range. My question was more about what period of history they would be good for given the narrowness of the range in terms of equipment etc.

It looks like early 4th CE and that is it, I'm maybe better sticking to my more traditional Footsore, Gripping Beast and West Wing Late Romans. Might even throw in a few Crusader Mini's now that I have a decent idea of size for them.
It's not as though A&A couldn't be used for late 4th century. Most models would still work given they have spangenhelms. You might need to do head swaps on those with a more 3rd century look.

Footsore and GB are always a solid option for late 4th Rome though. I've got pretty much all Footsore Late Rome. Love the scuplts though not so keen on the casting (but I may have been unlucky). Interested that you are not considering the Victrix packs.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2023, 04:24:32 PM »
It's not as though A&A couldn't be used for late 4th century. Most models would still work given they have spangenhelms. You might need to do head swaps on those with a more 3rd century look.

Footsore and GB are always a solid option for late 4th Rome though. I've got pretty much all Footsore Late Rome. Love the scuplts though not so keen on the casting (but I may have been unlucky).

Yeah, my army is about 80% Footsore and 20% Gripping Best.

Interested that you are not considering the Victrix packs.

OK, the current army is being based, wait for it, WAB(!) and as there will be many single bases using plastics just doesn't make sense as there would be too many breakages.

I have a lot of Victrix Late Roman stuff tucked away fort a project that I'm doing with a mate for a demo game. (Multi based miniatures and much less likely to come a cropper!)  :)