Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 07:18:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1692929
  • Total Topics: 118497
  • Online Today: 665
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Wolfman. Hit or Miss?  (Read 6398 times)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
The Wolfman. Hit or Miss?
« on: February 13, 2010, 10:50:12 AM »
Well, I went last night full of high hopes and expectations. The trailer looked promising...
On the upside great period feel, lots of top hats, bowler hats, long coats and luxiurios facial hair and side whiskers. Swirling fog, imposing large mansions, local village, gypsy caravans and spooky woods all helped to set the scene. settingt he film in Victorian England was in my opinion a bonus. It had a great Hammer films vibe.

The downsides, terrible story, badly cut and naff ending and why oh why did it have to have a werewolf on werewolf face off?

What did you think?
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Stavros Banjo

• Scientist
  • I despise normality
Re: The Wolfman. Hit or Miss?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 11:02:58 AM »
I have to agree, it was a big disappointment for me. Like so many other movies recently, it was visually very impressive but completely ruined by a limp plot and terrible, wooden acting. They had all the ingredients to have made something really special, but it just didn't really work. A wasted opportunity if you ask me. Maybe I was expecting too much.
...and what fresh new hell is this?

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 11:15:48 AM »
I agree with you on this, cool looking movie but the acting was incredibly bad; Beniceo Del Toro was awful in this I was hoping someone would shoot him even before he turns into the Wolfman.
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 02:15:51 PM »
I really liked it.
Hugo Weavings was the best performance by far his character was brilliant.

I've never really been a fan of Beniceo Del Toro so I was expecting him to be average at best.

On the upside great period feel, lots of top hats, bowler hats, long coats and luxiurios facial hair and side whiskers. Swirling fog, imposing large mansions, local village, gypsy caravans and spooky woods all helped to set the scene. settingt he film in Victorian England was in my opinion a bonus. It had a great Hammer films vibe.

Really that was all I needed to love the film, yes there were a lot of problems but the style and ideas were good.
That said I am very forgiving when it comes to that sort of thing, I love loads of utterly terrible horror/supernatural movies simply because they have good ideas.
 :)

I would have loved the film to have been more about Hugo Weavings character hunting the wolf than Del Toro and Hopkins having their family fued.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 06:03:39 PM »
Hmmm, might have to see Solomon Kane first then and decide on this one later  :?

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 06:12:48 PM »
I'm a bit worried about Solomon Kane simply because it is the first film in years I've actually been really looking forward to and have high hopes for.
Usually I go into films with a neutral outlook so even slightly dodgy films I end up enjoying.
 :?

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 10:44:29 PM »
I really liked the Wolfman costumes which appeared to have limited CGI.

I liked everything Malamute said: costumes, setting etc. I think the background for Anthony Hopkins and his servant were awesome.

The ending was okay. It was pretty gory: lots of intestines and people being eaten. It had some incredible scenes in London with steam vehicles and stuff.

Lots of ugly things popping out of the dark.

Although, a young man next to my girlfriend kept shrieking. And I had to share the "love seat" with a big hairy bloke.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 08:31:35 AM »
I really liked the Wolfman costumes which appeared to have limited CGI.

I liked everything Malamute said: costumes, setting etc. I think the background for Anthony Hopkins and his servant were awesome.

The ending was okay. It was pretty gory: lots of intestines and people being eaten. It had some incredible scenes in London with steam vehicles and stuff.

Lots of ugly things popping out of the dark.

Although, a young man next to my girlfriend kept shrieking. And I had to share the "love seat" with a big hairy bloke.

Seems like watching a film in Oz can be a challenging experience  lol

I'll probably wait and buy the DVD when it is discounted.  ;)

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 01:00:35 PM »
Seems like watching a film in Oz can be a challenging experience  lol

The emu in front of me was in the way the whole time, too. This always happens to me!  ;)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 01:10:00 PM »

I'll probably wait and buy the DVD when it is discounted.  ;)

Yep, not worth spenidng more that £3.00 on this one ;) lol

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 01:36:54 PM »
The emu in front of me was in the way the whole time, too. This always happens to me!  ;)

lol

I won't ask about Funnel Webs in the popcorn buckets, then...

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 02:21:04 PM »
This is a bit disappointing, I was hoping the poor reviews I've seen in the press were exagerated and the cognoscenti on the LAF (whose opinions I usually find to coincide with my own) would still find a warm place for it in their hearts.

Guess not.  :(

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 03:33:47 PM »
Am I just out in left field, because i have no idea the "Wolfman" is out.  never saw one trailer, ad, or seen it listed?

What the?
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 04:24:14 PM »
Am I just out in left field, because i have no idea the "Wolfman" is out.  never saw one trailer, ad, or seen it listed?

What the?

Too much time ogling College football cheerleaders and female hockey players  ;)

lol lol

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 11:42:29 PM »
This is a bit disappointing, I was hoping the poor reviews I've seen in the press were exagerated and the cognoscenti on the LAF (whose opinions I usually find to coincide with my own) would still find a warm place for it in their hearts.

Guess not.  :(

I don't know if you need to be that sad, so very many things about the film are good, the setting, the style, some of the characters are wonderful...the only real problems to my mind come from Del Toro's typically (in my opinion) sub par performance and the pretty dire ending.

I could be wrong but I think it's the ending that are turning people against it as it would be the first thing that comes to mind when thinking back on it as it's the last bit you see.
 :?

However I did see it for free so perhaps I'm less likely to judge it harshly.
:)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 11:44:13 PM by Viper »